By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Favorite Castlevania Games?

So in the past few days I finished conquering Lost Levels and beat Mario 2 USA, completing another classic series on old school Nintendo. Having conquered the entire Classic Megaman series last summer, my logical next step kept popping into my head. The one I haven't been able to shake is Castlevania. I've never gotten into the series in the slightest - it's always been something I've thought about picking up eventually but it always fell by the wayside. But considering I'm mostly caught up on Metroid, Mega Man, Mario, Zelda, Sonic and so on, it's pretty much the last one left for me to play, although I'm quite familiar with it. 

Now, Konami opinions aside, what are VGC's favorite Castlevania games? Obviously SotN is probably topping that list, but what else? Harmony of Despair?Dawn of Sorrow? Castlevania 64?

Obviously Castlevania 64. But seriously, which ones would be best to pick up early, and which ones should I just skip (besides 2)? I mean, I'm probably going to play the bad ones anyway because I don't like skipping games, but still. Which ones should I look forward to?

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

Around the Network

Castlevania 3 and Rondo of Blood are terrific additions to the series. Castlevania 4 would also be one to look forward to. The GBA and DS ones are quite well done as well.

Not really a fan of their 3D outings but both ps2 games and the first lord of destruction have strong moments.

One of my favorite series that Konami blundered :(

I've definitely heard phenomenal things about Rondo of Blood in particular. (And obviously 3 and 4, but RoB seems to be a cult hit or something.) I know I've also got a buddy who loves the LoD games too, and while they weren't necessarily the most original games they seemed enjoyable.

I'm not at all familiar with the PS2 ones though. I vaguely recall hearing about a crappy Castlevania fighter but I thought that was Dreamcast. What do the PS2 ones entail?

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

SOTN and Super Castlevania 4 are definitely my two favorites and represent both styles of 2D Castlevania beautifully. Aria of Sorrow is probably my next favorite, Rondo is good and the NES games are great classics.

Don't personally care for the 3D Castlevanias.

Pretty much every 2D Castlevania game is worth playing...

Around the Network
DivinePaladin said:
I've definitely heard phenomenal things about Rondo of Blood in particular. (And obviously 3 and 4, but RoB seems to be a cult hit or something.) I know I've also got a buddy who loves the LoD games too, and while they weren't necessarily the most original games they seemed enjoyable.

I'm not at all familiar with the PS2 ones though. I vaguely recall hearing about a crappy Castlevania fighter but I thought that was Dreamcast. What do the PS2 ones entail?

The PS2 ones are Lament of Innocence and Curse of Darkness.  I believe Curse of Darkness was also released for the Xbox.  I don't think there was a Dreamcast fighter.  There was actually a Dreamcast 3D game but it was cancelled.  You may be referring to Castlevania Judgement for the Wii.

Oh man, you're going to LOVE Castlevania.

I still need to play a bunch, but I can recommend the following:

Aria of Sorrow - this is my favorite, and the first game in the series set in the future. The customization options are great, the boss battles are spectacular, and the visuals crisp and clean. In fact, you can't go wrong with any of the Castlevania games on GBA, including Circle of the Moon and Harmony of Dissonance.

Portrait of Ruin - it might not be the best DS Castlevania, but the dual character mechanic is a lot of fun.

Rondo of Blood - before Symphony of the Night changed the Castlevania formula, Rondo of Blood mastered the old formula. Branching paths, thrilling boss fights, careful platforming, etc. The opening scene on a horse-drawn wagon is just jaw-dropping.

Castlevania 64 - I'm serious! It's good! Good story, larger-than-life boss fights, a huge world to explore. Definitely a hidden gem of the series.

Symphony of the Night - the seminal Castlevania game, after the original of course. Transitioned the game from an action platform game into something of an action RPG. This game is legendary and with good reason. An all-time great hero - Alucard - plus tons of secrets and Easter eggs, puzzles and riddles, and amazing enemy encounters.

Good luck!

The best ones are Symphonie of the Night, Dawn of Sorrow, and Aria of Sorrow.But the best one is certainly SOTN, even if by just slightly.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Super Castlevania IV

its almost a perfect game..

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

Lords of shadow