By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Your thoughts on Barack Obama?

Soundwave said:

I think he'll be remembered more fondly, namely for

1.) Bin Laden is dead.

2.) We have a deal with Iran, which is far better I think than the hostile relationship of the last 30 years. While some criticize the deal, it finally opens diplomatic channels to Iran, giving them a taste of sweet oil revenues and a break from crippling sanctions, I think they will find life is better to play ball with the US than to go back to how things used to be which weren't good for anyone.

3.) We dropped the stupid embargo on Cuba stemming from the 1960s. Way past overdue. Americans will be able to holiday there soon, American companies will be able to do business there.

4.) There's been by and large no major terror attack on US soil, nothing remotely close to 9/11.

5.) US is largely energy independent, something unheard of 10-15 years ago. Price of gas is lower.

6.) Marijuana is on the path way to begin legal. Overdue.

7.) Gay marriage. Whatever, but I think you weren't going to stop people from being gay, so if they want to get married have at it.

8.) Didn't get baited into what would've been an unending war in Syria by Saudi Arabia like Bushes would have. US distancing themselves from Saudi Arabia in general he should be lauded for, unlike previous presidents that bent over backwards for them.

9.) Millions more people have health insurance today in America than 8 years ago largely because of Obamacare.

10.) The economy while not perfect has largely recovered from the catastrophic collapse of 2008. GDP is back above 2% which isn't worth throwing a party over but is in the healthy range and there's been no other similar type of economic collapse under his 8 year term. Stock market and value of American companies have risen steadily since 2008.

US has had fucked up race relations from its onset, no president was changing that. The onus on the president to suddenly stop people from being racist is stupid.

All of these points are very good achievements. Most of them had been very hard to achieve, too. Still, people always only see the downsides, which is kind of sad. For me, I can say that Obama will be remembered well. He did much much better than Bush.

Around the Network

Like soundwave said hes pretty much done a bit for the country but he didn't kive up to his expectations.

he was meh

http://pleasecutthecrap.com/obama-accomplishments/

People also forget that he had to fix the crap that bush started.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Easily in the Top Ten American Presidents. Could have been in the Top Five if the nutters in the GOP actually cared about the country and its people.

Around the Network

With people always focusing on the negatives, I'm sure he'll be remembered by a lot of people as one of the worst for not living up to the high expectations which were impossible to reach by him. People expected him to do miracles. However, he has done a lot of good for the country and he'll be one of those controversial figures that will be hated and loved by many.

Soundwave said:

I think he'll be remembered more fondly, namely for

1.) Bin Laden is dead.

2.) We have a deal with Iran, which is far better I think than the hostile relationship of the last 30 years. While some criticize the deal, it finally opens diplomatic channels to Iran, giving them a taste of sweet oil revenues and a break from crippling sanctions, I think they will find life is better to play ball with the US than to go back to how things used to be which weren't good for anyone.

3.) We dropped the stupid embargo on Cuba stemming from the 1960s. Way past overdue. Americans will be able to holiday there soon, American companies will be able to do business there.

4.) There's been by and large no major terror attack on US soil, nothing remotely close to 9/11.

5.) US is largely energy independent, something unheard of 10-15 years ago. Price of gas is lower.

6.) Marijuana is on the path way to begin legal. Overdue.

7.) Gay marriage. Whatever, but I think you weren't going to stop people from being gay, so if they want to get married have at it.

8.) Didn't get baited into what would've been an unending war in Syria by Saudi Arabia like Bushes would have. US distancing themselves from Saudi Arabia in general he should be lauded for, unlike previous presidents that bent over backwards for them.

9.) Millions more people have health insurance today in America than 8 years ago largely because of Obamacare.

10.) The economy while not perfect has largely recovered from the catastrophic collapse of 2008. GDP is back above 2% which isn't worth throwing a party over but is in the healthy range and there's been no other similar type of economic collapse under his 8 year term. Stock market and value of American companies have risen steadily since 2008.

US has had fucked up race relations from its onset, no president was changing that. The onus on the president to suddenly stop people from being racist is stupid.

Pretty much this. His last 2 years have been great for his administration.

The race relations issue is interesting because its been intensified due to people finally talking about it openly. Maybe nothing to do with him per say but its actually a good thing.

I'm really digging the fact that if I can afford my medications, and that if I get into a freak accident tomorrow I won't be in debt for the rest of my life... so good on that one.

Kind of confused that since Obama is black he's expected to completely fix race relations. Most of the issues we've been dealing with have arisen from local levels. Not that the president has no power in that regard, but it's pretty limited, regardless of his race.

He'll be remembered as a better than average president.

As for my own opinion, let me just say that I think our next president is going to be worse.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

As an Australian, he seemed to do an alright job. Could have done better, sure. Also could have done much, much worse.

He was "cool"... I suppose. Seemed a bit fake and forced at times though.

Reading through some other posts, looks like he did a lot more good than harm and has laid some solid foundations for the next president to come along and probably fuck up... I really fear trump as president. I hope it's misplaced.