By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Would you buy a digital only console?

Would you buy a digital only console?

Yes 163 19.45%

No 479 57.16%

Maybe leaning yes 92 10.98%

Maybe leaning no 104 12.41%

Total:838

This forum is probably more open to a "all digital" platform than the mainstream is.

almost 70% here are "no & leaning towards no".
Mark my words first company (of the big 3) to do this falls flat on their face.

Around the Network
0D0 said:

johnsobas said:
no way. If all games were digital there would be no need for a home console, just get a PC. If you're gonna make it just a like PC, I'd rather just get a PC. All the advantages of the home console are disappearing over time, by the time next gen comes around they may all be gone. If i was forced to go PC only, i wouldn't be buying nearly as many games as I do now.

There are many other reasons to own a console, like exclusive games.

lol, that is exactly one of the things that is quickly disappearing, thanks for the example.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

johnsobas said:
0D0 said:

There are many other reasons to own a console, like exclusive games.

lol, that is exactly one of the things that is quickly disappearing, thanks for the example.

lol, Quickly disappearing is strong. I'm waiting for the evidence that it's quickly disappearing.

Though, people have lots of reasons to own consoles instead of gaming PCs. Do I need to write all them down? 

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

Wright said:

Not with my potato internet, definitively. It's bad enough when I have to download a patch over 1 GB and I have to sit there, waiting motionless staring at the screen for almost an hour.

Me too: in theory typical average connection sold here would give up to 20Mbps, but the line sucks so much that with the previous, expensive provider I got at most 11-12Mbps, and with the current, cheaper one, 8Mbps. The street where I live has few inhabitants, so there's no hope that telcos replace the rotten final part of the line until it breaks completely, but even then they won't replace anytime soon the low performance local concentrator, they already replaced it recently, after a pyro burnt it together with some bikes and scooters.

JRPGfan said:
This forum is probably more open to a "all digital" platform than the mainstream is.

almost 70% here are "no & leaning towards no".
Mark my words first company (of the big 3) to do this falls flat on their face.

Yea, BTW I find very curious that while physical format fans are open to have digital too available, some die hard digital download fans aren't  simply happy to have it, they rabidly want physical format dead, they just can't accept peaceful coexistence.

0D0 said:
johnsobas said:

lol, Quickly disappearing is strong. I'm waiting for the evidence that it's quickly disappearing.

Though, people have lots of reasons to own consoles instead of gaming PCs. Do I need to write all them down? 

Agree, I'm a PC gamer, but I can perfectly see more reasons why lots of people like or prefer consoles to PC besides exclusives.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Wow the poll proves that people are pretty attached to their discs. Personally I love digital games. On PC they're almost always cheaper and more convenient.

Around the Network
Locknuts said:
Wow the poll proves that people are pretty attached to their discs. Personally I love digital games. On PC they're almost always cheaper and more convenient.

It's not so much that as a switch from digital and physical to JUST digital is only possibly a net *loss* for the consumer.  Absolutely nothing is gained, there are precisely zero advantages for the consumer.  You can already buy digital games on consoles.  You can go all digital right now.  So all an all digital console would do is take away the all the benefits of physical games (trading, lending, reselling, physical collecting, etc) and provide absolutely nothing new.  

So why go for an option where you can ONLY do all digital when the current setup let's you go all digital, almost all physical, or an even combination of both.  Why give up options?  

^^
This. BTW wider competition not only amongsts stores, but on formats too, gave, and is still giving us eccellent offers both on digital and physical, and as some of the reasons that trigger an offer on a format are different from the other's ones, this also widens the range of titles that are sold with special offers.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

No thanks, to a digital only console. You can't resell or trade a digital game when you're done with it, like you can a physical.

Here's an example. I bought Uncharted 4, 1 week after release, on Ebay, for $42 shipped, brand new and sealed. After i beat the game, I then traded that game to somebody on GameTZ for Doom (PS4). Now that i'm done with Doom, i'm going to be trading it to somebody for Mirror's Edge Catalyst (PS4). Can't do that with a digital game unless you are a pirate.

I guess I would. I'm slooooooowly beginning to prefer digital versions.

I already have a PC for digital games When I was building it, I bought a modular case that allows me to take out the docking part for a DVD reader and replace it with an extra fan. All that, since I didn't even buy a DVD drive.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.