By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Would you buy a digital only console?

Would you buy a digital only console?

Yes 163 19.45%

No 479 57.16%

Maybe leaning yes 92 10.98%

Maybe leaning no 104 12.41%

Total:838

The "maybe yes" beat the "maybe no" by a whisker, but the absolute "no" is overwhelming, significantly more than 50%. And over 2/3 are no or maybe no.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network

Yes, I buy books, music, comics, films, series, games, everything digitally. No problem.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

I buy my books, music and movies digitally too. Then the postman delivers them to my door in a neat box 2 days later :) I still buy games in my preferred shop.

It's nice to go somewhere where they know your name and go out of their way to get things for you or an early discount. Too bad I have no more access to specialized movie and book stores anymore. I loved browsing the American book center in the kalverstraat in Amsterdam. No such thing here in rural Ontario.

Not right now. I currently enjoy the fact that when the developer of the game goes tits-up or whatever that I can still play the game. I also really enjoy buying Special Editions with the metal cases and bonus material. Until they figure out a way to do Special Edition digital download (where I still get physical stuff to show off) then I don't really like the idea of a pure digital console.

On the other side though mobile gaming should go pure digital (it kinda already has except for Nintendo).

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

no way. If all games were digital there would be no need for a home console, just get a PC. If you're gonna make it just a like PC, I'd rather just get a PC. All the advantages of the home console are disappearing over time, by the time next gen comes around they may all be gone. If i was forced to go PC only, i wouldn't be buying nearly as many games as I do now.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Around the Network

johnsobas said:
no way. If all games were digital there would be no need for a home console, just get a PC. If you're gonna make it just a like PC, I'd rather just get a PC. All the advantages of the home console are disappearing over time, by the time next gen comes around they may all be gone. If i was forced to go PC only, i wouldn't be buying nearly as many games as I do now.

There are many other reasons to own a console, like exclusive games.

God bless You.

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

dharh said:
Not right now. I currently enjoy the fact that when the developer of the game goes tits-up or whatever that I can still play the game. I also really enjoy buying Special Editions with the metal cases and bonus material. Until they figure out a way to do Special Edition digital download (where I still get physical stuff to show off) then I don't really like the idea of a pure digital console.

On the other side though mobile gaming should go pure digital (it kinda already has except for Nintendo).

We can have special editions.

You can have your stunning deluxe metal box with a toy, an art book, developer's autograph, an action figure and a card inside. The card has a printed code for you to download your game.

God bless You.

I'm would be more favorable to a digital only console more then I was when the PSP Go came out. It depends on how they handle to distribution of the games (i.e. the price etc because currently the digital versions are held back by the physical version price wise.)

As long as it isn't a proprietary memory format, which are usually expensive, and go with SD would be fine.

If we get Steam-like restrictive always online DRM, no. If they keep digital games like they are today in PSN/Live, then it's not a big deal, but I want to be able to backup them in an external HDD and restore this backup in a new unit even if the online service is discontinued.

Not with my potato internet, definitively. It's bad enough when I have to download a patch over 1 GB and I have to sit there, waiting motionless staring at the screen for almost an hour.