By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Emily Rogers: NX not gonna use X86 architecture, raw power close to XBO

I don't like this rumor. How hard is it for Nintendo to make an affordable under ($300 console) that can handle PS4 ports without a downgrade? I know Nintendo isn't much about power and maybe they like to introduce new technology like the Wiimote and GamePad but it shouldn't cost the system that much like the GamePad did (The Wii controller did not drive the console price up and Nintendo simply priced up the console up to $250 by adding Wii Sports plus room for profit).

So I'm calling this rumor bull including every other rumor Emily Rogers has started since Color Splash.

Around the Network
Teeqoz said:
Good for Nintendo. Launching a console at 400$ to compete with PS4K/Neo just wouldn't have been a good move at all.

I agree actually. Nintendo should do their own thing. It is pretty evident that trying to mimick the path of the PS4/Xbox One will be an instant death for the NX, so I think Nintendo need to do something different. However, by not using X86 architecture it will make 3rd party ports much harder and developers less open to it. Who really knows until the official specs and console are revealed. So many 'verified' rumors on Reddit and NeoGaf have been debunked(remember the COD: Bloodlines rumor for 2016 coming to NX?).

Hopefully this is truth. I want to see what ARM can do on the console space.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

$200-250 and OMG I will buy it at launch. XBO specs are fine. The release of upgrades like the PSNEO and prevalence of VRwill ensure that the PS4/XBO spec range will be supported on some level for years to come.

Thaxt said, is this Emily Rogers a reliable source? I've heard her name thrown around, but whats her track record?

NX is weak, and feeble. That is why it will fail.

Survival of the fittest.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

If this is true, if nintendo is making another console with (even more) dated hardware, whatever else the console is, even if its portable, I am passing.

I havn't liked my personal experience with the WII & WII U and want to see the nintendo that made NES to NGC which I all loved so much, but maybe that is a thing of the past, so be it!

Twitter @CyberMalistix

spemanig said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Isn't this kind of like the wiiU in a way... Just instead of being more powerful than the ps3/xb1... Its worse/samey...

If its a handheld, that would be impressive... But if its a console... Then she better be right about Nintendo's first party cause ps4/x1 are gonna have tons of games by then

It's not. Wii U released at the end of that generation. NX is releasing right at the 8th gen is finally done stretching its legs.

I can't believe you're still entertaining the idea that it could be a handheld. It's not a handheld.

I will cause it would be neat if it was but of course, I am not putting any money on it. Also doesn't this make it harder for the NX since the other consoles are essentially established and have a great number of games but NX is just getting started?

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:

I will cause it would be neat if it was but of course, I am not putting any money on it. Also doesn't this make it harder for the NX since the other consoles are essentially established and have a great number of games but NX is just getting started?

I genuinely don't think that's going to matter much once the platform reveals itself. Like I've been saying. The XBO is a Sidekick. The PS4 is a Blackberry. Both great phones, top of their game at the time. NX is the iphone, though. Like NX is the iphone when there were no smart phones yet. NX is the iphone when PSP was still the best way to watch movies on the go only a year prior.

And I should correct myself, of course being established of going to matter, but not enough to hold NX back. Not with what NX is going to do to console gaming.

And I should double correct myself. There will be an NX handheld. It's just not NX system that is coming out in March 2017. That one's a console.

spemanig said:
Soundwave said:
Hope you have a hell of a gimmick Nintendo.

Polaris 11 was not some fantasy tech anyway, it's a laptop chip, and a cheap one at that, Nintendo not using it is just stupid.

Doesn't need a gimmick. Polaris was a fantasy. And what did I say? People thinking x86 was a guarantee were dreaming.

I also have said from day one that the NX doesn't need to be more powerful than the PS4. It could be weaker than the XBO and sell phenominally. All it needs is parity with the other who, which it will have. Anyone who thinks that the PS4's success has anything what-so-ever to do with it's power in comparison to the XBO has absolutely no idea what they are talking about and anyone who thinks that the NX needs to be more powerful than the PS4 to have a chance of succeeding also has no idea what they're talking about.

What's fantastical about a Polaris 11? It's a cheap laptop chip, Nintendo fans have become so used to underpowered hardware that they think Polaris is something special. Even the Polaris 10 (the desktop) is a mid-range GPU for 2017. Asking for a Polaris 11 wasn't asking for a whole lot.

Personally I don't think it will do very well if its the weakest console on the market behind PS4 Neo, PS4, and even the XBox One and coming last. It would need some kind of incredible gimmick or it has to be a portable for that to gain any traction. Consumers today just don't give enough of a shit about Nintendo to put up with all that and third parties are not even going to try.

This is assuming what Emily is saying is spot on and the console is basically just a traditional console. Almost 4 years late to the market and still under powered is just ... kinda sad if true.

spemanig said:
Captain_Yuri said:

I genuinely don't think that's going to matter much once the platform reveals itself. Like I've been saying. The XBO is a Sidekick. The PS4 is a Blackberry. Both great phones, top of their game at the time. NX is the iphone, though. Like NX is the iphone when there were no smart phones yet. NX is the iphone when PSP was still the best way to watch movies on the go only a year prior.

And I should correct myself, of course being established of going to matter, but not enough to hold NX back. Not with what NX is going to do to console gaming.

And I should double correct myself. There will be an NX handheld. It's just not NX system that is coming out in March 2017. That one's a console.

What the tits is a "SideKick"?

Hmm, interesting. Saying that it's iphone's level of a revolution is quite a high expectation. I hope you are right cause Nintendo certainly needs that kind of a revolution!

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850