By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Emily Rogers: NX not gonna use X86 architecture, raw power close to XBO

Leadified said:
Slimebeast said:

Shouldn't there be some felixibility to topics to some degree? I know there's a point where a topic becomes derailed, I know that must be avoided, but related topics should be possible to be mentioned when it's not enough to start a separate thread.

Related topic in this case is that if it's a guy pretending to be girl for more attention, we might be giving this person more credit than he/she deserves.

Of course, there's flexibility in every topic to a certain degree and this warning isn't here to prevent discussion about the credibility of Emily Rogers. However so far in your discussion you have provided no evidence to back up your arguments other than, "He writes like a man on twitter" and "I call it now, it's a sausage.". If you're going to take this thread in a new direction then at least provide some concerte evidence to justify it instead of conjecture.

But there wouldn't be much discussion on these forums if we'd be required to back up everything with hard evidence. That's not how we function as human beings, like we're in front of some court.

Now that I have a moderator after me I'd like to drop it here.

Around the Network

Price point will play a huge factor in how successful the NX is if these rumours are true.

It sounds like it will be less powerful than the X1 and since it isn't X86 like the other two, porting games may not be as easy. In other words, if they release another underpowered console 3 years into the current generation, at a similar or higher price to the current consoles, it will not only be a hard sell to consumers, but to developers too.

I really hope Nintendo decides not to use ARM as the CPU instead of x86, because that would mean that AMD wouldn't be allowed to make it. With an x86 AMD CPU the Nintendo NX would get just the computation power it needs.

I want both components of the NX, the CPU as well as the GPU to be provided by AMD. I love AMD.

Fei-Hung said:
Price point will play a huge factor in how successful the NX is if these rumours are true.

It sounds like it will be less powerful than the X1 and since it isn't X86 like the other two, porting games may not be as easy. In other words, if they release another underpowered console 3 years into the current generation, at a similar or higher price to the current consoles, it will not only be a hard sell to consumers, but to developers too.

The problem with this is the PS4 (vanilla) will be $299, the XBox One even cheaper than that perhaps.

That was the whole issue with the GameCube, it didn't matter it was cheaper, because PS2/XBox were also cheap, maybe not quite as cheap, but cheap enough.

$299.99 is the new $199.99 anyway.

So now the rumor is they're not even using AMD at all but Nvidia, lol.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

So now the rumor is they're not even using AMD at all but Nvidia, lol.

That would be much more interesting ...

No developers want to optimize so what better than to partner up with an IHV that can handle less developer side optimizations ... 

I predicted something like this months ago on another board and the losers there all laughed at me.

Cerny did a remarkable job designing the PS4 SoC. It was revolutionary and incredibly efficient in terms of both power and manufacturing costs. Nintendo and Microsoft weren't able to reverse-engineer the PS4 SoC in time, so they have to settle for weaker consoles. I don't think the Xbone 1.5 will be as strong as the base PS4.

Then there's the issue of economies of scale. AMD is probably giving SONY a kick-ass deal on their SoCs while charging and arm and a leg to both MS and Nintendo. Higher volume customers are more valued than low volume customers.

CaptainExplosion said:
lmaobox said:
I predicted something like this months ago on another board and the losers there all laughed at me.

Cerny did a remarkable job designing the PS4 SoC. It was revolutionary and incredibly efficient in terms of both power and manufacturing costs. Nintendo and Microsoft weren't able to reverse-engineer the PS4 SoC in time, so they have to settle for weaker consoles. I don't think the Xbone 1.5 will be as strong as the base PS4.

Then there's the issue of economies of scale. AMD is probably giving SONY a kick-ass deal on their SoCs while charging and arm and a leg to both MS and Nintendo. Higher volume customers are more valued than low volume customers.

Get lost Pachter.

Like before, people keep attacking me without any arguments.

Face it, my arguments are solid.

Since it's confirmed that Nintendo won't be selling the NX at a loss, it's almsot guaranteed to be weaker than the base PS4.

Unless Nintendo is going to charge $900 for the NX (Which I doubt), Nintendo will be constrained by the low $300-400 budget while getting ripped-off by AMD. Considering just how well the PS4 is selling, SONY can probably buy a much stronger APU from AMD for a far lower price than what Nintendo is getting for a weaker APU. Economies of scale is heavily on SONY's side in the console market and it is what will keep SONY ahead of the competition.

Who is Emily Rogers? I have been avoiding nx threads like plague and I often see that name

If NX isn't the most powerful console on the market, it better cost $199.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.