By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Help me build my GeForce GTX 1080 new PC Rig

I intend to gradually build a rig to play games, and am aiming at the recently announced GeForce 1080 (don’t have the money to buy everything at once, especially since the dollar exchange rate in my country is absurdly high nowadays).

What are the best components to go with it? I have a friend going abroad and, initially, I plan to have him bring me a CPU and 16 gb RAM (smaller components so he will not have many difficulties putting them in the baggage). These are the ones I found would be cool for a start:

Intel Core i7-6700K (Skylake) 4.0 GHz Quad-Core: $409.97

Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400: $109.99

What do you guys think?

Plus, what would be your suggestions for:

1. Chassis

2. CPU Cooler

3. Motherboard

4. SSD/HD

5. PSU

?

At least one monitor will have 4k resolution.

Also, do you think a Motherboard of choice should be thought of with the possibility of a dual Graphics Card set in the future?

Thanks for any advice. It’s been 12 years since I built my last Rig (been a Laptop user ever since), so I’ve been out of my game for some time. XD

Around the Network

Please specify GTX 1080 on the title, as I've been thinking for quite a while you meant 1080p gaming.

Also, specify the monitor resolution.

Depends on your budget i Have a i7 6700k,GTX 970,Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha mobo,EVGA Super Nova 750 Watt PSU,Corsair H100 Case is a Raidmax Scorpio V case Intel 535 SSD 480gig/WD black 1 tb,Gskill tridentZ 3200mhz DDR4 ram. You should just take your time read reviews and select what you think will work for your build. Where do you live ehy are you playing over $360 for a 6700K? You should wait till the 1080/1070 hits the market first.

Gourmet said:
Please specify GTX 1080 on the title, as I've been thinking for quite a while you meant 1080p gaming.

Also, specify the monitor resolution.

Done and done. Thanks for the tip :P

I wouldn't get the 1080 yet. Wait for benchmarks. I'm sure it's a nice GPU, but you should take a look at the previous series.

The 980 wasn't a pretty great deal. It was only marginally better than the 970. The OC 970 models also were basically on par with the stock 1080. And an OC'ed 970 was actually around 330-350 dollar, while you would need 500 for a 980. So, for CB, the 970 was way better. For power? The 980ti arrived a year latter and stomped the 980. If the history repeats itself, the 1070 will be a better deal. So wait for the benchmarks to see if the 1080 really is a much better GPU or if it isn't.

I would count on a minor advantage. The 970 was a huge success, I believe Nvidia will prioritize the 1070 over the 1080 since it can be another sales driver. Just the enthuasiasts aren't that much into the 1070, but they probably aren't that much into the 1080 since these guys probably already have a 980ti or are waiting for the 1080ti.

Around the Network

Put the small thing on top of the big thing and then fasten them to the third thing. Hope it helps.

Riseer said:

Depends on your budget i Have a i7 6700k,GTX 970,Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha mobo,EVGA Super Nova 750 Watt PSU,Corsair H100 Case is a Raidmax Scorpio V case Intel 535 SSD 480gig/WD black 1 tb,Gskill tridentZ 3200mhz DDR4 ram. You should just take your time read reviews and select what you think will work for your build. Where do you live ehy are you playing over $360 for a 6700K? You should wait till the 1080/1070 hits the market first.

i'd totally second the oppinion of waiting for proper benchmarks, and if you can afford to wait a couple months, compare with the new Amd offerings. Word is that HBM2 cards could be coming out during 2016. If you're serious about 4K gaming you should think about holding on for those. i know i am (R9 290x oc is the one in my desktop now so i can totally wait)

Wait for the 1080Ti, I have an EVGA 980Ti, it cost about the same as a stock 980Ti and absolutely murders a regular 980. If you're going for 4k, you should wait for sure, I don't think the 1080 will be able to pull more than decent fps counts, and if you're going balls-to the walls and 4k, you might as well do it properly.
Otherwise, you'll end up with a rig that needs another investment fairly soon to maintain its performance levels in 4k resolution with more modern games.

More than waiting for benchmarks (let's be honest, it will be the fastest GPU available until the next round ships at the end of this year or early next year), I'd wait until demand settles a bit and prices approach the MSRP. Another thing is if you want the best price/performance card which will most likely be the GTX 1070.

Chassis and CPU cooler depends a bit on your preferences: if you prefer quiet/low noise components you have some options, butif you prefer cooling/performance over everything else you have other options.

With that CPU and a new GPU, a PSU of less than 650W will be more than enough, even for two cards, but use good brands like Corsair, Seasonic, for example.

For storage, a 240/256GB SSD plus a regular 1TB HDD should be enough, but a 512GB SSD and a 2TB HDD would work better. Just remember than games are getting bigger and bigger so, unless you plan on keep installing and uninstalling games as you complete them, set your Steam (if you use it) to your HDD and not your SSD.

Lastly, what size do you want that monitor? And do you care about color reproduction or prefer fast response (meaning IPS/VA vs TN monitors).

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.