By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - GTX 1080 unveiled; 9 teraflops

Im definitely looking to upgrade from my tri fire fury x setup. I just have that itch to upgrade. Unfortunatley Nvidia didnt release the big die chips yet which means Im not going to plunk down the cash until cards are significantly faster than my current setup eg Pascal TItan/1080ti or AMD vega. Currently can play almost every game at 60 fps except for the occasional game that doesnt support crossfire (im looking at you ARK). 

Really excited to jump on the VR bandwagon. Just bought a 4k monitor and absolutely love it and cant wait for Vive. 

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

Around the Network

Good card, high performance for a low price and low TDP exactly what I was looking for, lets see what else they release (1080 TI) and what AMD is bringing and depending on that I might get a 1080.

Pemalite said:
Kerotan said:
So this is priced at $600? If that's the case is this the kind of power we can expect the PS5 to have if it releases in about 5 years?

In 5 years we should have 7nm~ GPU's.
I would expect probably even double the performance of even this.

The upcoming 7nm nodes are "only" about 3 times better than 14-16nm and they are very, very expensive. Anyone who can't afford paying literally hundreds of millions of dollars to design a chip are going to stay put. Do not expect more than one or two consoles, and one or two PC GPUs five years from now or so.

Consoles could be 40-60% better than a GTX 1080 even on their current power requirements. But yeah, if they are as big and power hungry as the fat PS3/X360 SKUs, they could maybe double a GTX 1080.

Of course, everybody could play safe and stay at 10nm. You never know.

Waiting for actual performance tests when it is released.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

NX gpu confirmed!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Craycray as fuck. I really hope AMD has something but them targeting "mid range" isn't exactly a good thing imo unless mid range is performance like that. We will see but at this rate, Nvidia is gonna continue to dominate which isn't really what I want since competition is good.

Great job Nvidia though! Blew my expectations away. RIP Tom though (if you watched the press conf, u would get it)

According to Steam Hardware surveys, less than 10% of PC gamers currrently use high end cards like the 970, 980, Titan, and R9 Fury series. The perecentages for low and mid range cards are far higher. I think AMD is right to prioritize low-mid range first, then release their new high end cards next year. AMD's plan is to bring VR capable performance and 1440p capable performance to the mid-range segment. They also plan to release low-mid range gaming laptop GPU's that are on par with consoles or better.

If AMD lives up to their claims, later this year we could very well have a $250 Radeon card that is cool, quiet, and capable of maxing most games at 1080p 60 fps and some at 1440p 60fps, and to a mid-range PC gamer like myself, that's equally as impressive as what these new Geforce cards are capable of at $400+. 

But according to those Steam Hardware surveys, the GTX 970 is the most used card with 5% of the total Steam users: http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/, which proves that if well priced, people are willing to spend a little more.

And that's precisely where the 1070 comes in.

That's not to say that I disagree with you, tho. If AMD manages to create a situation similat to the one we had with the HD4000 vs GTX 200 series, we all can win. The only question is if AMD will be capable of that.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

How does 1080p look on a 2k monitor? Looks as good as on a 1080p monitor, yes?

JEMC said:
shikamaru317 said:

According to Steam Hardware surveys, less than 10% of PC gamers currrently use high end cards like the 970, 980, Titan, and R9 Fury series. The perecentages for low and mid range cards are far higher. I think AMD is right to prioritize low-mid range first, then release their new high end cards next year. AMD's plan is to bring VR capable performance and 1440p capable performance to the mid-range segment. They also plan to release low-mid range gaming laptop GPU's that are on par with consoles or better.

If AMD lives up to their claims, later this year we could very well have a $250 Radeon card that is cool, quiet, and capable of maxing most games at 1080p 60 fps and some at 1440p 60fps, and to a mid-range PC gamer like myself, that's equally as impressive as what these new Geforce cards are capable of at $400+. 

But according to those Steam Hardware surveys, the GTX 970 is the most used card with 5% of the total Steam users: http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/, which proves that if well priced, people are willing to spend a little more.

That's not to say that I disagree with you, tho. If AMD manages to create a situation similat to the one we had with the HD4000 vs GTX 200 series, we all can win. The only question is if AMD will be capable of that.

I got my hopes on amd. Mainly for laptop as I do not like desktop. polaris 11 has me itching for a laptop upgrade, not a fan of the last fx8800p. but that was 28nm, they have to at least double to triple that with 14nm. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

eva01beserk said:
JEMC said:

I got my hopes on amd. Mainly for laptop as I do not like desktop. polaris 11 has me itching for a laptop upgrade, not a fan of the last fx8800p. but that was 28nm, they have to at least double to triple that with 14nm. 

AMD seems very confident with what they have, but it wouldn't be the first time that they screw it, so... don't get your hopes too high.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
eva01beserk said:

AMD seems very confident with what they have, but it wouldn't be the first time that they screw it, so... don't get your hopes too high.

I cant help it. after this reveal, and amd aiming for mid range performance and tend to be more performance for dollar than nvidia, It has to be way better than last years apu. and again, they are going from 28nm to 14nm.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.