By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - GTX 1080 unveiled; 9 teraflops

Yea, a new big step in innovation! More, I want more power now.

I wonder if this will be similar to the new GPU in the next wave of consoles in a few years.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Around the Network
eva01beserk said:
JEMC said:

AMD seems very confident with what they have, but it wouldn't be the first time that they screw it, so... don't get your hopes too high.

I cant help it. after this reveal, and amd aiming for mid range performance and tend to be more performance for dollar than nvidia, It has to be way better than last years apu. and again, they are going from 28nm to 14nm.

Yes, but the laptop chips will be the Polaris 11 ones, so lower than mainstream...

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

CGI-Quality said:
Zappykins said:
Yea, a new big step in innovation! More, I want more power now.

I wonder if this will be similar to the new GPU in the next wave of consoles in a few years.

No way. The Maxwell gen, at most, and even that is being generous.

No worries here, since consoles perform better with same power caps. Unless they start adopting revision every couple of years and screw up the fix hardware for at least 5years that consoles always had. Im way to worried and excited at the same time for ps4 neo.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

JEMC said:
eva01beserk said:

I cant help it. after this reveal, and amd aiming for mid range performance and tend to be more performance for dollar than nvidia, It has to be way better than last years apu. and again, they are going from 28nm to 14nm.

Yes, but the laptop chips will be the Polaris 11 ones, so lower than mainstream...

I know, its way im basing my asumption on the fx8800p, witch is currently amd's flagship laptop apu. Im expecting at least 2-3x performance on polaris 11, polaris 10 sorry to say but i dont care about.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

eva01beserk said:
CGI-Quality said:

No way. The Maxwell gen, at most, and even that is being generous.

No worries here, since consoles perform better with same power caps. Unless they start adopting revision every couple of years and screw up the fix hardware for at least 5years that consoles always had. Im way to worried and excited at the same time for ps4 neo.

This hasn't been true since the transition to the 8th generation. The PS4's performance is equivalent to GPU's with the same theoretical performance. Just compare an r9 270x or Nvidia 750TI with the PS4's performance. It has remained quite the same. The exception might be Sony exclusives, but those are a small percentage of total games. 

Around the Network
Zappykins said:

Unless something big changes for Nvidia, probably not. Consoles are mostly AMD now. 

sc94597 said:
eva01beserk said:

This hasn't been true since the transition to the 8th generation. The PS4's performance is equivalent to GPU's with the same theoretical performance. Just compare an r9 270x or Nvidia 750TI with the PS4's performance. It has remained quite the same. The exception might be Sony exclusives, but those are a small percentage of total games. 

is that why every time I see a how to make a console rival pc guide, it never comes close to a ps4 in price? Unless they use second hand parts, and its still a litle more expensive, but then again I could buy a second hand ps4 and we are back to the same deal.

sc94597 said:

Unless something big changes for Nvidia, probably not. Consoles are mostly AMD now. 

They won't be AMD for much longer if those guys go under ... 

That pretty much means that the chances of backwards compatibility appearing for the successor's to current HD twins and home console version of NX is quickly erroding away ...

Slimebeast said:
How does 1080p look on a 2k monitor? Looks as good as on a 1080p monitor, yes?

It looks blurred.

You should always play with native resolution for the best image quality.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

I didn't see the reference price on the Nvidia site. I'm assuming it's filling in for the GTX980 at $500-530.