By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - GTX 1080 unveiled; 9 teraflops

That's pretty impressive but I'll wait for either the eventual 1060 or the price of the 1070 to come down. Either of them should beat my 770 easily.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Vasto said:

That is pretty much what I am looking for. A single card that can deliver 4K / 60 in the newest games at maxed out settings. 

Pascal Titan.

You really think so? I mean it will come close but you will still have some compromises. Next gen should do it though.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

CGI-Quality said:I
vivster said:

You really think so? I mean it will come close but you will still have some compromises. Next gen should do it though.

4K/60 FPS?

Rumored specs:

- 16GB HBM 2

- 3840 CUDAs

- 15-17B transitors

- 4096-bit Bus

Yep, I expect that to be the big marketing push for those cards (1080Ti/Pascal Titan). The latter, for sure.

If it does that is what I am getting. I am for sure making the jump to 4K soon.

Ruler said:
sc94597 said:
The posts in here about PC gaming and prices are ridiculous. This is literally as top of the line as you can get. Obviously the price will be high compared to the PS4 which is at the lower mid-end.

It seems everything that is above the PS4 in performance has a high end price in PC gaming more and more, this is not how it used to be

The PS4's GPU is comparable to a r9 270/HD 7850. There are literally dozens of cards more powerful than it, but less than $300.

Here is a $150 GPU that matches the PS4.

https://jet.com/product/detail/7eed89cc1ebc42b69e4eaba0a1657aea?jcmp=pla:ggl:gen_electronics_a1:electronics_accessories_cables_a1_other:na:na:na:na:na:2&code=PLA15&ds_c=gen_electronics_a1&ds_cid&ds_ag=electronics_accessories_cables_a1_other&product_id=7eed89cc1ebc42b69e4eaba0a1657aea&product_partition_id=161710082700&gclid=CjwKEAjwpLa5BRCTwcXS6_rpvC4SJACTDQMMmHZ1LKdCnC-hWqYVNjyT2xXz4zeVnjnXo6J41oBvHBoCBj_w_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

CGI-Quality said:
vivster said:

4K/60 FPS?

Rumored specs:

- 16GB HBM 2

- 3840 CUDAs

- 15-17B transitors

- 4096-bit Bus

Yep, I expect that to be the big marketing push for those cards (1080Ti/Pascal Titan). The latter, for sure.

I don't know man. That's maybe like 30% stronger than Titan X. Titan X barely manages to play current games above 30fps. It does Bioshock Infinite at 4K at about 50fps and that is a notoriously easy to run game. For half way stable 60fps without many compromises you will need something stronger than that. Like Big Volta.

Then again I'm not switching to 4k anytime soon. I'd rather have rock solid high frames on 1440p and for that a 1080ti should be enough.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
vivster said:

I don't know man. That's maybe like 30% stronger than Titan X. Titan X barely manages to play current games above 30fps. It does Bioshock Infinite at 4K at about 50fps and that is a notoriously easy to run game. For half way stable 60fps without many compromises you will need something stronger than that. Like Big Volta.

Then again I'm not switching to 4k anytime soon. I'd rather have rock solid high frames on 1440p and for that a 1080ti should be enough.

How did you come up with 30%?

You're right, I forgot to count the heavily increased clock. So it's like 50% then, 60 if we're generous. That's still not enough of an improvement over the Titan X to be able to play 4k60 across the board. Games aren't getting any less demanding either.

That's what my gut tells me paired with what we know about the 1080. It also shouldn't make any financial sense for Nvidia to have a 100% increase in a single generation jump.

curl-6 said:
Pemalite said:

Looks like I am waiting until Vega. :(

Were you hoping for more power than this?

JRPGfan said:

Still 9 teraflops in a single card is crazy.

Think about the PS4,... its 1.84?  thats just crazy.

5 PS4s duct-taped together. :P

I always hope for more.

Shadow1980 said:
Pemalite said:

In 5 years we should have 7nm~ GPU's.
I would expect probably even double the performance of even this.

And some people think we're in the last console generation because we've supposedly hit a technological wall and that graphics can't possibly get much better than they are now. Suuuuure. With GPUs that totally outclass the PS4's likely being cheap enough to be in the PS5, there most certainly is room for another generation. There's so many areas where graphics could improve substantially.

We are far from a technological wall.

Ruler said:

600$? really? Also this thing will cost at least 700€ here in europe. I feel like PC gaming isnt afrordable anymore, i remember when you could have a GTX 280 for something like 300-350€, not 600€. 

High-end has gotten more expensive. Mainsteam has gotten cheaper.

fatslob-:O said:
AnthonyW86 said:

The HD5850 launched for $230 and was faster than a GTX 285.

The HD5850 was $260 on release and was released 7 months after the GTX 285 plus Moore's Law was still alive too back then ... 

Moore's law is still alive, it's just been extended a bit for now. :P

Ruler said:
sc94597 said:
The posts in here about PC gaming and prices are ridiculous. This is literally as top of the line as you can get. Obviously the price will be high compared to the PS4 which is at the lower mid-end.

It seems everything that is above the PS4 in performance has a high end price in PC gaming more and more, this is not how it used to be

This is enthusiast/hig-end class hardware, not mainsteam. Enthusiast has always held a price premium, Mainsteam hasn't, don't confuse them.

Vasto said:
I want 4K / 60 FPS.

Congratulations. It is available today if you have the cash.

vivster said:
CGI-Quality said:

How did you come up with 30%?

You're right, I forgot to count the heavily increased clock. So it's like 50% then, 60 if we're generous. That's still not enough of an improvement from the Titan X to be able to play 4k60 across the board. Games aren't getting any less demanding either.

There will be less of a permance hit with higher resolutions with this card.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Lafiel said:
Vasto said:
I want 4K / 60 FPS.

doesn't look like the 1080 will deliver that kind of performance (in new/the newest games with maxed out settings)

early 2017 both GPU manufacturers are expected to release their new top-of-the-line products, which should finally reach that

The only card you'll see early 2017 is a new $1000 Titan, a possible 1080Ti should then come mid 2017. 1070&1080 are not gonna be replaced until Q3/Q4 2017.

So the 1070 too is faster than the 980Ti, for 399 euro that's good, will be upgrading around summer.  Is probably gonna be the choice for a lot of people with 8GB vram and 980ti performance.

The speed at which tech in the PC market has been moving has been great for PC gamers as it also drives the prices of previous tech down, a lot more people end up having powerful PCs as a result.