By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo of America put a lot of effort to censor a cleavage in Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE

Volterra_90 said:
outlawauron said:

Atlus is doing the localization. Any content changes are done because of regulations by Nintendo. That's it.

The translation won't have the Treehouse treatment, that's the only difference.

"Regulations in the many different territories Nintendo distributes its products.”

I don't know in which part exactly do you read that these are regulations BY Nintendo, and not regulations by the different countries. But suit yourself. I think it's clear that they mean the different rating regulations in different countries. Not internal Nintendo regulations. 

No that not what that sentance means.  The bolded part of the sentence is all you need to figure out who regulations they are, in this case the territories (rating system.) The sentence whould be better worded. "Regualtions by the various rating systems in the regions which the game will be published." Since it is a given that a game that is exclusive to Nintendo will be distributed in a Territory that Nintendo distributes its products.

Around the Network
Hiku said:
uran10 said:
Um hey... guess what. NINTENDO DIDN'T DO THE LOCALIZATION. It was atlus who handled the entire thing so saying NOA did this is false information.
Volterra_90 said:

Except the localization is handled by Atlus. Even so, I think they're targeting the game to have a T rating, so that would explain the censorship. 

Wyrdness said:
Nintendo aren't localizing it.

Atlus are employed by Nintendo to do the localization. No matter if it's done in-house or outsourced, this game contains Nintendo's own I.P's, and Atlus can't release anything without Nintendo's approval. This seems to be Nintendo's image concerns in the west rather than Atlus'.

A T-rating doesn't explain censored cleavage in an Atlus game for the west.

Being employed to do something doesn't mean Nintendo is bothering with it, I don't think Nintendo were even going to localize the game tbh and Atlus asked if they could do it themselves then, Nintendo published Bayonetta which also referenced IPs so I don't get the point of your image. Fact is every company is wary of the NA region look at the DOAX3 fiasco for start.

This reminds me of people whinging about Bravely Second then it turned out SE made changes themselves based on gamer feedback in Japan.

Shadow1980 said:
BlkPaladin said:

You know most "censorship" is done to keep a certain rating, Hollywood has been doing this for years. The only difference between the movies and games is the in the US the game rating system is industry regulated while the movie industry is government regulated. And in the decades the movie industry has been regulating the rating, studios have been cutting sections of movies to hit a PG/PG-13 rating and the government has of yet to start knocking down doors and burning all of our media because they don't agree with it.

When government took over the movie rating sytem in the mid-80's, and a similar paranoia ran high back then, but paranoia was one of the defining traits of the 80's, until people realized that it gave some stability to what you went and seen. Where as the old industry supported rating system depended on which studio the movie came out from and who the director and/or producer was sleeping with. The only problem with the system currently it is it is in need of an overhaul. And that is something the US government is bad at.

And as with what some posters pointed out it is Atlas that is doing the localization which includes any "censorship" to the title. Nintendo may have recommended the rating that they want to hit, probally Teen or the simular rating in all regions, but it is up to Atlas to decide what to "cut" to make that rating.

On side note a funny story about when the rating sytem changed hands from industry-to-government. It was the only time Disney was hit with a rated R movie published under the Disney brand name, the movie's name was "Something wicked this way comes." if you want to know, and since Disney doesn't want to have any R rated movies under their brand they censored the movie after that to get a PG-13 rating. If you want to quick summery of the movie. It goes like this: A carnival run by Satan comes to a small town to collect the souls of the inhabitants, and a handfull of kids try and save the day with some being victims to the many side shows, it was pretty dark for a Disney movie.

The film ratings system is not an arm of the government in the U.S. MPAA ratings are still voluntary, private, industry-imposed ratings, just like ESRB ratings. There was no "government takeover."

Sorry about that, I'm not too up on this subject appearent. I was not even 10 when the PG-13 rating was added and my father is a little paranoid that the goverment is trying to take over everything. I should of have done a little reading before opening my mouth.

EDIT: I changed the orginal post to be factually correct. The main point is unchanged though.

outlawauron said:

Did you read your own article......

"Any changes made to the in-game content were due to varying requirements and regulations in the many different territories Nintendo distributes its products.”

So yes, Nintendo is to blame for the game being changed.

Were the "varying requirements and regulations" those of Nintendo? I ask because the quote you point to does not make this clear.

Also, let's take into consideration the whole of the article's quote, not just your quote mine: "Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE was localized by Atlus in a way that is consistent with the localization work they do on games they publish. It was a priority to ensure the game feels familiar and appeals to longtime Atlus fans. Any changes made to the in-game content were due to varying requirements and regulations in the many different territories Nintendo distributes its products."

Ruler said:
uran10 said:
Um hey... guess what. NINTENDO DIDN'T DO THE LOCALIZATION. It was atlus who handled the entire thing so saying NOA did this is false information.

they are

If you're claiming it was Nintendo that did the localization, not according to http://www.technobuffalo.com/2016/04/22/atlus-localization-for-tokyo-mirage-sessions-fe/

Around the Network

But, no NOA, it's Atlus...

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

twintail said:
Nintendo, thinking all their fans are kids.

I'd recommend you read this: http://www.technobuffalo.com/2016/04/22/atlus-localization-for-tokyo-mirage-sessions-fe/

KLAMarine said:
outlawauron said:

Did you read your own article......

"Any changes made to the in-game content were due to varying requirements and regulations in the many different territories Nintendo distributes its products.”

So yes, Nintendo is to blame for the game being changed.

Were the "varying requirements and regulations" those of Nintendo? I ask because the quote you point to does not make this clear.

Also, let's take into consideration the whole of the article's quote, not just your quote mine: "Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE was localized by Atlus in a way that is consistent with the localization work they do on games they publish. It was a priority to ensure the game feels familiar and appeals to longtime Atlus fans. Any changes made to the in-game content were due to varying requirements and regulations in the many different territories Nintendo distributes its products."

Sorry thought I was clear. NIntendo has nothing to do with the requirements and regulations in that quote. That would be the rating systems in the various territories. Because if you cut out the last 4 words in that quote the meaning remains the same. The addition of of "Nintendo distributes its products" is just "industry speak" for Nintendo is publishing this because it is an exclusive title.

To be more specific if the rules and regulation where Nintedo's the sentence structure whould be differnent. The word Nintendo whould be in added in a different pace in the sentence  and it whould be written as: "Any changes made to the in-game content were due to Nintendo's varying requirements and regulations" in this case removing Nintendo from the sentence would change its meaning.

BlkPaladin said:
KLAMarine said:

Sorry thought I was clear. NIntendo has nothing to do with the requirements and regulations in that quote. That would be the rating systems in the various territories. Because if you cut out the last 4 words in that quote the meaning remains the same. The addition of of "Nintendo distributes its products" is just "industry speak". They felt they had to mention Nintendo's name because it is a title exclusive to Nintendo's console.

I suspect similarly.

Where in that video does it state that Nintendo is responsible here?

And again, I'm going to make a quick note that you consistently make these threads bashing NoA for censorship on this game, and not only is Nintendo not localizing it, but pretty much only YOU care about it. Your witch hunt stopped being cute a while ago.

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!