By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - No true and exclusive 3D Mario and Zelda on WII U

Considering Nintendo was aiming for another runaway success like Wii, I'm not surprised they've started holding back. WiiU's got one foot in the grave and NX is on its way, NX is going to need software to launch alongside with.

Around the Network
NightDragon83 said:

Mario 3D World is about as true a 3D Mario game as Sonic 3D Blast is about as true a 3D Sonic game.

OT:  While I do feel bad for Wii U owners who essentially got the shaft for most of the Wii U's life, it doesn't surprise me at all that the console turned out this way, and I can only say that next time (NX), don't be in a rush to eat the slop that Nintendo continues to feed you.  Before you go running out to pre-order or stand in line for an NX, make sure A: it's actually got solid software support behind it (by both Nintendo AND 3rd parties), and B: that the hardware isn't just a mid-gen upgrade from their existing console (Wii U), and that it can actually go toe to toe with PS4 and X1 not just in raw power, but with all the features and support that X1 / PS4 users enjoy like a robust online infrastructure.

Typical ridiculous hater talk. Saying wii u is a mid gen, that it's successor will only go toe to toe with weak hardware and lying about online.

3d world is a 3d mario game and Zelda U is a Wii U game.

spemanig said:

Okay, I'll get into it.

The only reason threads like this exist and this is even a topic of discussion is because Nintendo was really stupid when naming Super Mario 3D Land. Nintendo made an isometric platformer for their new 3DS platform. The reason they chose to make the platformer isometric like this was because they wanted to make a game what showed off the new stereoscopic 3D feature of the 3DS. I guess they could have made a 3D platformer, but the lack of a second analog stick and the overall increase in budget wouldn't make sense for a handheld game like that.

So they made their game. And then they named it. They named it Super Mario 3D Land. Obviously they'd name it that. The game's marketed gimmick was the stereoscopic 3D. The issue is that when they brought that formula to the Wii U, it already had a brand. Super Mario 3D Something. But the Wii U doesn't support stereoscopic 3D. So what did they do? They kept the name anyway like absolute morons.

If the 3DS didn't have stereoscopic 3D, the franchise wouldn't have 3D in the name. It would be called Super Mario Iso Land/World or something, because that's what it is. It's an isometric platformer. Your movement is restricted to an 8-way grid. The camera is restricted to an 8-way grid. The level-design is rectangular. That's not a stylistic choice - that's isometric game design.

And stop calling the other stuff "real" 3D Mario. It's pretentious. 3D World isn't "fake" 3D just like Triple Deluxe isn't "fake" 2D. It's just an isometric game rendered in 3D because that's cheaper than modeling isometric sprites.

3d land and 3d world aren't isometric.

Wavebeam72 said:

3d world is a 3d mario game and Zelda U is a Wii U game.

The upcoming Zelda game is a NX game too.

Around the Network

Hyrule Warriors isn't a "Zelda game" in its traditional sense by any means, but by it being on the console, it did give Link and co some unique presence. Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD are upgraded ports, yes, but the new Zelda game will be something made ground up over a 6 year development time, for Wii U (regardless of whether or not NX is getting it.)

Super Mario 3D World isn't a 3D multi-camera angle dynamic scrolling 3D Mario game like 64, Sunshine, or the two Galaxy games, but it was quite excellent. I thoroughly enjoyed it and thought it was a beautiful piece of work. As for New Super Mario Bros. U, it too was a very solid title, despite not being as original as previous Mario entries.

I'm very content with my Wii U library, overall. Would I have liked to have a gorgeous 2D or 3D Metroid game? Absolutely. Would a new Wave Race, F-Zero, and Kid Icarus have been cool? Of course! But what we got in Tropical Freeze, 3D World, Splatoon, Star Fox Zero, Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros., Bayonetta 2, Wonderful 101, Hyrule Warriors, Pokkén Tournament, and many more, still will always leave my memories of Wii U being an great console.

With that said, here's to NX delivering even more!

3D World was on the Wii U. Get your facts right!

LOL!!! A SPINOFF! That's gold. Oh man. Keep the jokes coming I'm dying over here.

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.

Mario Kart 8
Smash Wii U
Donkey Kong TF
Pikmin 3
NSMBU and Yoshis Woolly World.

These are all the best versions of each of the respective series IMO. Then you have great use of other IP, either by crossover or radically different gameplay..
Hyrule Warriors
Captain Toad
Pokken Tournament.
Both Splatoon and Mario maker are very popular new ventures for Nintendo, and most of the other franchises have some kind of representation on Wii U. In fact, Nintendo content on Wii U has been quite good, but the lack of third party games will always make its line up look thin.

Lucas-Rio said:

3D World is not a 3D Mario game.

Miyamoto and Iwata didn"t consider it as part of the 64/Sunshine/Galaxy serie. It's a fact

It's a spin off like3D World.

Why should I care about Nintendo or Miyamoto's head canon? Mario 3D World is a brand new 3D Mario game. Its also fantastic and one of my favourites in the Mario series of games.

There's also another Mario platformer which plays very nicely. I don't understand the need of a checklist, 3D Mario + 3D Zelda = good system? Other games do not count? Reminds me of common complaints about the Sega Saturn that I also disagree with.