By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Scientists on Climate Change: "Why would we f@ck with you!?"

Let's say climate change ISN'T REAL or ISN'T effected by humans... I still find it hard to understand why we WOULDN'T want to move away from oil and coal.

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:
Locknuts said:

Man I've had a couple of beers and was feeling lazy and hoped you'd look it up yourself.

Here's a couple that I read back when I was really into the climate change thing:

Greening:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/grl.50563/abstract

Basically farmers would have to change the time of year they plant their crops and (if possible) move to higher altitudes to mitigate the effect of the heat on their crops, but if they do that then they are seeing better yields due to what they call the 'Co2 fertilisation effect'.

A very interesting article, I must say. Its scope is limited however to what it describes as "warm, arid regions" and I would guess not all of the world is "warm and arid". Also, I don't see any mention of impact on global crop yields in this article or impact on farming industries around the world.

For everyone's sake, I hope potential crop loss will be outpaced by potential crop increases due to increasing average global temperatures.

Changes are happening. Of that there is no doubt and there will be winners and losers. We absolutely need to adapt.

But my original issue came from Kimmel parading scientists on camera talking about 'apocalyptic' scenarios if we don't reduce carbon emmissions. He is clearly ignorant and biased on the subject and is using his show to push his own beliefs.

There is nothing wrong with slowly reducing our dependence on fossil fuels but the west will do it far faster than developing countries. The pace at which the world can safely decarbonise will not be fast enough for many, and once the west is effectively carbon neutral I imagine smug western countries pointing the finger at those who haven't yet made the change.

the-pi-guy said:

Several of the western countries are still in the top.  US is number 2, EU is number 3, Japan, Germany, Canada, South Korea are all up there.

I'm not sure how that becomes a "therefore."  There is no reason for people to die just to stop producing as much carbon dioxide.  That's not the point.  Developed countries still far and away have more emissions per capita.  Limit it by making better factories, better non oil burning cars, alternative fuels.  Who exactly would that be killing?  

http://www.wri.org/blog/2016/04/roads-decoupling-21-countries-are-reducing-carbon-emissions-while-growing-gdp

These are just the countries that are decarbonising while their economies improve. There are several others that have gdp going down while decarbonising but one doesn't necessarily have to do with the other.

But none are major African or Asian developing nations. Countries like China, India, Vietnam, Indonesia and Thailand will still be increasing their emissions while the west are decarbonising in order to remain competitive. If they are forced (via trade sanctions for example) to cut their emissions in order to 'save the planet', there will be huge numbers of deaths due to starvation and other poverty-related factors. If we wait until these countries are out of poverty, many see that as being 'too late'.

These things take time and are happening naturally. Forcing it is only going to result in disaster.

Locknuts said:
KLAMarine said:

A very interesting article, I must say. Its scope is limited however to what it describes as "warm, arid regions" and I would guess not all of the world is "warm and arid". Also, I don't see any mention of impact on global crop yields in this article or impact on farming industries around the world.

For everyone's sake, I hope potential crop loss will be outpaced by potential crop increases due to increasing average global temperatures.

Changes are happening. Of that there is no doubt and there will be winners and losers. We absolutely need to adapt.

But my original issue came from Kimmel parading scientists on camera talking about 'apocalyptic' scenarios if we don't reduce carbon emmissions. He is clearly ignorant and biased on the subject and is using his show to push his own beliefs.

There is nothing wrong with slowly reducing our dependence on fossil fuels but the west will do it far faster than developing countries. The pace at which the world can safely decarbonise will not be fast enough for many, and once the west is effectively carbon neutral I imagine smug western countries pointing the finger at those who haven't yet made the change.

I just watched the video again: I don't recall the video mentioning developing countries at all.

Science is absolutely correct that mankind has had an effect on the climate. They have proved this to the nth degree and beyond. However, are they taking into account the idea that oil and natural gas isn't going to be around forever?

Around the Network

This is one of those things we need to place politics aside for. I recognize that a TV repairman probably knows more about my television than I do, If 97 of 100 give me the same piece of information, I'm going to run with that. The same goes here. It's like people check their brains at the door when they start talking about politics.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

KLAMarine said:

I just watched the video again: I don't recall the video mentioning developing countries at all.

It didn't have to. If you're talking about climate change then you're talking about a global issue.

Its supper funny guys, that you cant see analogy here. Sice the begining of humanity, these more cleaver, better educated or heaving better knowledge of nature 'elites' were manipulating masses of poor educated people with natural phenomenoms. In time of ancient Egypt it was solar eclipse - everyone has heard about it in primary school. Today in Europe for an example Germany are playing same card - they are forcing legal acts to consider co2 emission of polish coal as way to high, in the mean time increasing its import to country and buying out mines for 1/10 of price. Magically after coal crosses theirs border it becomes enviromental friendly. George Sorros is most known lobbyst for restrictions of goal use, and each year he increases number of the mines he owns and a yield.

But lets back to school times. Our teacher have told us, that each planet in every solar system has natural periods of warming and cooling, she also gave us examples of micro-ice-ages that have happened in the past on earth.

So guys - lay on your faces otherwise Re will take a sun...

Locknuts said:
KLAMarine said:

It didn't have to. If you're talking about climate change then you're talking about a global issue.

Thus what exactly is your concern?

^^ totally agree with Skratchy and Shadow1980 on this.

Anyway let me first say Palin, is a muppet.

As others have said, even if there have been spikes and drops in temperature over the years, why wouldn't we want to move away from pollutants, nuclear power stations, coal and oil and move into renewable energy. This is not only good from a local stand point (i.e you don't have to rely on other countries) but you also don't end up making more of a mess of the planet.

If you've been to china (and I have) I can tell you that the pollution there is an absolute joke, why wouldn't you not want to make your own environment cleaner and better to live in. People are dying in china due to pollutants, in this day and age, pretty ridiculous.

I personally think humans do have an impact, I can say without much scientific data that humans impact on the earth is not a positive one, if anyone denies that they they probably don't know much of the world other than their own back yard. Will this impact have a change not the weather, I really don't know, but lets be honest, humans have not been great to this planet so far, so why would anyone deny its not going to have some form of impact.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!