By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I don't get it how adults can like games with kiddy cartoony look

I tend to find most people go through three stages.

1. Pure love of things

2. Self conscience about what they love

3. Acceptance of themselves and what they love

Of course some people stay in 1 or 2 or were always in 3. I've seen many cases of this where grade school love of something is replaced with teenage concerns what others think and then adulthood indifference to others. Growing up I knew people who either gave up video games or comics or switched to "ultra dark grim hardcore" versions of those mediums in attempt to show maturity. Then when adulthood arrives they realize how silly it is to live life based on arbitrary standards of random people instead of enjoying what you love.

I'm having a blast playing Ratchet and Clank. I'm 31, run a small business, own a home and am happily married. I don't see the conflict here at all.

Around the Network
LivingMetal said:
Neodegenerate said:

That one image just put that game on my gamefly list.  Thank you.

To address the OT: An inability to appreciate art in all of its forms speaks more to the person who is viewing it than it does to those who are able to enjoy it for what it is.  Make no mistake, video games are art.

You are VERY welcome.  But FYI, Senran Kagura: Bon Appetit! is digital download ONLY.  It normally retails for $15 USD on the PSN, but it's on sale for $9.  Look into it, and then buy it.

Here is a handful of other shots from this series, the lower ones are from Shinovi Versus, can see by their watermark, fantastic games but definitely not something that you can take out and play in a cafe while waiting for people to arrive lol.

The album is NSFW do not click on it thinking otherwise, just... don't Seriously, don't... at all. Bad Album!

Here are puppies instead if you are at work, enjoy these puppies! and not the underneath puppies!

http://imgur.com/a/wqvC9

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

"Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as merely a descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.

And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of arrested development.

When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now I am fifty and I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - An adult

Ganoncrotch said:

What about when "Kiddy" characters invade the super serious worlds of things like SSX does it turn you off them?

Where does this lay on your scale of being able to enjoy the game, knowing that there are characters in it who's main colour palette isn't based on Grey and Manlyness.

I would hate my beloved SSX spoiled with kiddy Nintendo characters.

For the umpteenth time the fact that I dislike kiddy visuals does not mean that I play only rooted in reality serious drama adult looking games. Borderlands is fine, Minecraft is fine, but if you're and adult and like Kirby then I honestly think something is wrong with you (I mean anybody, not Ganoncrotch).

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Low78wagon said:
I had a similar mindset for a few years around highschool because people would make fun of dudes playing kids games. I also got into anime for a bit but the shit I got from it just turned me away from it. Im still not much into it anymore. I later decided not to give a shit on what games i play. I still have friends that make fun of my huge video game collection because its not just call of duty but they will play broforce for hours with me. I understand your opinion to not like cartoonish graphics but that shouldn't make you think negatively towards the people who like them. I play fps games too and I shouldn't be so negative towards people who only like them but its kinda hard when they hate on anything that isnt fps. I also think cartoonish style graphics age much better than high tech realistic graphics. I love them all. 8 bit to a billion polygons.

Good for you man, I've had similar and you know if anything I moved away from FPS and such games from it, well the multiplayer side anyway, still enjoyed the heck out of Halo's story and Gears of War, but the online communities and mindsets of those games basically trying to prove they're not 12 by acting mature.... really just made me not want to be a part of that community if you get me.

really cool to hear you kept on collecting and move away from the things you love doing based on how other people felt about those things.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network
m0ney said:
Ganoncrotch said:

What about when "Kiddy" characters invade the super serious worlds of things like SSX does it turn you off them?

Where does this lay on your scale of being able to enjoy the game, knowing that there are characters in it who's main colour palette isn't based on Grey and Manlyness.

For the umpteenth time the fact that I dislike kiddy visuals does not mean that I play only rooted in reality serious drama adult looking games. Borderlands is fine, Minecraft is fine, but if you're and adult and like Kirby then I honestly think something is wrong with you (I mean anybody, not Ganoncrotch).

So you playing an 8-bit game designed for children (yet enjoyed by adults) in Minecraft, and a very animated cell shaded game (Borderlands), is different than someone else playing an animated game designed for children (yet enjoyed by adults) in Kirby?  The prejudice and stereotyping is strong in this one.

m0ney said:
Ganoncrotch said:

I didn't doctor that image you know, SSX on the GC has Mario, Luigi and Peach in it as boarders, you don't have to pick them of course, but they're there in the background... being colourful... and fun!

I take no insult in your views btw but my wife is sat on the couch watching game of thrones and playing Kirby Planet Robobot, looks amazing to me but I'll let her know there is something wrong with her for ya.

Acevil said:
Honestly why stop there, why do adults play video games? It is such a childish hobby, and honestly you gamers need to grow up.

(I hope my obvious sarcasm pops through, but that is logic you presented).

Indeed. He should be doing something more productive, like reading the technical manual on rutine active maintenance.

m0ney said:

Why would I have a problem if I like Kirby games (as a matter of fact, I love them)? It's a fun 2D platformer, it's my favourite genre, Kirby is one of the best franchises in this genre, everyone can enjoy them... I don't like to make assumptions, but I'd give it a try. It seems to me you're going through the same life stage I went over in my life. When I was 16-20 I changed sides after being a Nintendo fanboy all my life. Because I want to give the appearance that I was too male-y and mature. Turns out if was just a ridiculous stage in my life. I know laugh at it and enjoy all different types of experiences. It was a big mistake since I missed soo many good games, and gaming time I will never recover. It was the process of growing up which brought me to enjoy those "cartoony-kiddie" games again, as you named them, not the contrary. 

trasharmdsister12 said:
m0ney said:

Alright, name me one kiddy 3D platformer PC centric game series.

A Hat in Time is an indie title being built specifically in the spirit of the types of games you're talking about and is garnering a TON of interest from the PC audience. http://store.steampowered.com/app/253230/

There are also a whole slew of projects on PC that are cartoony platformers aimed at making the genre a well covered aspect of PC gaming. And before you go "indie games don't count" then you can't claim that PC gamers are interested in much of anything besides space simulators and RTSs... because you specified PC centric so I'm assuming you're limiting the coverage of multiplat titles covered in order to try to make a point. But I'm guessing indies won't count soon. http://store.steampowered.com/tag/en/3D%20Platformer/#p=0&tab=NewReleases

Outside of this the PC giant game League of Legends has some pretty damn kiddy characters and have had some champions edited to be more kiddy looking (removal of items etc.)

Only hardcore mature audiences need apply!!!