By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I don't get it how adults can like games with kiddy cartoony look

WTF? I hope this is a joke thread...

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
Question for OP, how old are you!?
Beacuse that mentality Nintendo games are for kids are typical for teens who only play "hardcore" games.

To be fair, Nintendo games do lack certain "adult" features like competitive multiplayer, headset functionality, party chat, rich novel-like narratives and character development.

This is the eternal Nintendo debate, everyone has different preferences.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Something that just slipped through my mind thinking about this thread: Do you find Overwatch childish ?

m0ney said:
Some people never grow up I guess.

I never did grow up from your definition and I hope I never will :)

cheers

m0ney said:
Miyamotoo said:
Question for OP, how old are you!?
Beacuse that mentality Nintendo games are for kids are typical for teens who only play "hardcore" games.

I am grownup but I always disliked kiddy games, but I did not own any console as a kid. I am not talkign about rated E games but about visually kiddy games that should only appeal to little kids in a normal world.

You'll understand when you get older.

Feel free to check out my stream on twitch 

Around the Network

how about sunset overdrive and bioshock infinity?
is a kid oriented game just because of the art style?

I guess "cartoons" are only for kids. Just like candy and ice cream.

Ganoncrotch said:

The definition being used seems to be the same one that young boys use when they distinguish that all red toys are girly and as such pretend to be allergic to them to seem more manly, @OP I don't think that judging a book by it's cover is a great sign of being more mature or grown up, sure if you just enjoy games to be dark and gritty a la gears of war and such, that's fine, but like others mentioned in the thread I feel for you having missed out on some fantastic experiences simply because of the vessel they arrived in.

Could I ask does this also extend to movies? Do you also avoid watching films if they are animated simply because they are animated again and nothing to do with the story being told, have you seen Toy Story, Iron Giant, Lilo and Stitch etc. or would you think they all have nothing to offer you as a "grown up"?

Yep, I agree. I went through the same stage in my life, I refused to play cartoony games because they're childish (stupid 18-years old me) but it was a "kiddie cartoony" game which brought back to gaming again after being tired of it(Super Mario 3D World). I was so wowed that I've never gone through the same process again. I'm happy to enjoy every type of experience I think it's "good" for me. Good is the word, not kiddie, mature, or whatever. I enjoy good things XD. 

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”

― C.S. Lewis

I personally "grew out" of Nintendo games. The cartoony kid friendly graphics weren't really the reason. I like games with atmosphere, a darker tone, a good story and great character development and lets be honest, Nintendo games aren't exactly well known for that.

I mean, I still play on my 3DS for nostalgias sake for games like Smash Bros, but otherwise, the point is gamers move on from Nintendo for more then their graphics.

That said, there is something to be said about certain adults yearning for the simpler days of youth and play Nintendo games to cling to that mindset. But in the end, Nintendo won't loose too much business........humans breed too damn much and the next generation of kids will be Nintendos next customers in no time ;)

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.