By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mirror's Edge Catalyst is 900p on PS4, 720p on Xbox One

curl-6 said:
greenmedic88 said:

Well for small, low hardware overhead indy games sure, just as there were the same type of games on the PS3 that ran 1920x1080x60fps smoothly.

But obviously, we're all thinking about games using engines that push the bar or are at least within a generation of what's considered current. 

For those types of games, I'm not sure why the delusion that $400 worth of hardware will accomplish what several times that in independently sourced off the shelf PC hardware will cost persists for any other reasons than wishful thinking or a fundamental lack of understanding of the amount of processing power required for that level of performance. I don't even think $400 worth of video card alone can be considered 4k capable for high end game engines. 

Yeah, AAA gaming at 4K ain't happening on consoles for a few more years. You can't fit that kind of power in a console-sized box at an affordable price yet.

Since I don't work in the semi-conductor industry, I can't make a realistic projection of how quickly performance will climb within the same cost structure. Given the cost to build a legitimate 4K gaming PC curently, I would consider it a feat for a manufacturer to make that happen in a few years, at least not without resorting to a bit of corner cutting/"cheating" (above 1080p native render, upscaled to 4K, etc.). 

I know that Apple, with their custom SoCs were making pretty significant leaps between generations which is probably a reflection of the mobile processing industry in general, but I would be inclined to attribute that to the age of the mobile industry relative to the desktop industry. There's simply more headroom there. 

With desktop semiconductors, it's a simple case of sheer energy draw and heat generated to achieve desired performance. All we have to do is take a look at the energy draw of 4k video cards. Like you said, that has to fit in a relatively small box at an affordable price. 

Around the Network
Porcupine_I said:
But we already know these things don't really matter AT ALL!

...they will only become important again when Scorpio turns out to be more powerful than PS4neo

Pretty much.

Damn. 900p and 720p huh. LOL

This is getting worse and worse through each release.

iron_megalith said:
Damn. 900p and 720p huh. LOL

This is getting worse and worse through each release.

My thoughts as well. 

900p on the Neo

480i 10fps on regular PS4

Source

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:
And people still have delusions that the PS4 Neo (or whatever it will be called) will somehow pull off 4k gaming?

Native 4k? Definitely not.

An upscale. I'll give it to them. They could dream about that.

So what kinds of sacrifices are we talking about to get the game to 1080p?

I predict game will be a commercial failure. Less than 1 million lifetime at retail total of all platforms.

solidpumar said:

I predict game will be a commercial failure. Less than 1 million lifetime at retail total of all platforms.

I don't think it will sell extremely well by AAA standards but I expect it should sell above 1M on PS4 alone. At the same time I wouldn't be surprised if its a failure. It depends how much EA are prepared to spend on promoting the game.

I have nothing against 900p.
Gonna buy the ps4 version.