By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will the NX be Powerfull?

Will the NX be less powerfull

Nope, more Powerfull then PS4 187 48.32%

It will be between Wii U and Ps4 157 40.57%

It will be less powerfull then Wii U 43 11.11%

Total:387

Probably not no. Even in the scenario that Nintendo aims for third party support on their system, the specs will probably be similar to PS4 level in order to keep costs low enough to compete.

I can't imagine that the NX will be weaker than the Wii U if it's a home console, else they'll have a really tough time convincing people to upgrade and it would make people even angrier for abandoning the Wii U for a less capable machine.

Around the Network
hoala said:
Cloudman said:

If the NX was like a handheld, then it would at least be more powerful than the 3DS and maybe as powerful as the Wii U. If it was both a console and handheld, well, that kinda makes a mess of things... If it went that route, then I would be certain it would still be more powerful than the Wii U. It would kind of have to be to be competitive in the current market.

Well as far as i know you simple cant make a handheld much more powerfull a the wii u right now. The strongest mobile chip so far is the Apple a9x (used in iPad pro) and that might already be to expensive for an nintendo handheld (that ipad is like 1000 bucks).

Alot quotes from iwata hinting a "2 in 1 device". He said somethin like they will merge their handheld and home console systems in the future so they dont have to develop games for both systems anymore. And as far as i know nintendo also merged their handheld and home console studios some months ago, so they dont have seperate development studios anymore. Really hinting a 2in1 device.

Yeah, that would be weird if it turned out to be a handheld. If it's a hybrid, I'm not really sure how that's going to work. It probably wouldn't if it turned out to be one. 3rd parties probably won't support it. They probably wouldn't know how to...

I'm leaning on the side that it'll be a regular console and not a handheld, but we will see some time this year..

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

hoala said:
Pemalite said:

Not exactly.

AMD's successor to the consoles archaic and slow Jaguar CPU's, aka. Puma... Can operate at powerlevels of 3.8w with 128 GCN cores and 4x x86 1.6ghz cores.
At 16/14nm, you could halve that power again or double the hardware.

Intel has had mobile SoC's that have been able to beat out it's ARM competitors in many cases for years.

As for Price, you have a point.

Lol im not an hardware expert but i highly doubt you could achieve ps4 performance (graphics and cpu whise) with 3,8 wattage. 

It would be amazing if possible, but i really cant believe it.

CPU wise it can be done with ease.
Jaguar is old and slow, it wasn't much of a CPU to begin with anyway, CPU's don't make games look super pretty which is used in advertising to sell better looking games.

Might be doable when we hit 7nm, having a PS4-level SoC at 4~ watts.
At 14/16nm we are seeing gains of 2.5X in energy efficiency, it won't happen though unless a company wants it custom made to order, the PC though will be getting a 200-300w APU with HBM tech which should run circles around the PS4 this year with some luck.

We also have Tegra's K1 GPU which can do 350-400Gflop at 28nm and consume 2w of energy~ for the whole SoC, imagine that with 2.5x the efficiency? And again another 2x at 7nm? That's more performance than a PS3 despite only using about 2w and it's built at 28nm.

The big issue though would be RAM. Amount and Bandwidth rather than the CPU and GPU, you can't have high bandwidth and low power consumption, mobile tends to work around this with tiled based approaches and LPDDR3/4 rather than hungry GDDR5.

Plus on a mobile device you can get away with games running at a lower resolution and using scalers to pick up some of the slack.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

AMD is giving Sony a 14nm 4 TFLOP GPU for a $399.99 sticker price, if Nintendo is not even able to get 2 TFLOP for $299.99 ... they are getting hosed, plain and simple and should take their business elsewhere (like PowerVR).

They should all be getting the same GPUs for more or less the same cost, I'm sure MS does too.

If Nintendo unifies with a weak console, IMO it will be the last Nintendo console.

People already overwhlemingly chose the 3DS over Wii U and even DS over Wii. Why should they buy a console NX when it doesn't even have its own games? If graphics are not the impressing factor, then who cares, not enough people care about playing Nintendo games on a TV. They'll just buy the portable and play Mario Kart 9, Animal Crossing NX, etc. on that.

The home console needs to have impressive graphics, the Nintendo games can be shared, but the home console should be able to run the higher end third party games and Nintendo games 1080p or even 2K/4K resolutions. Otherwise Nintendo will basically just have the portable take over the dedicated business and theother pillar for Nintendo will be mobile phone games (maybe even the leading pillar).

Yes.

Screw all of you.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

AMD is giving Sony a 14nm 4 TFLOP GPU for a $399.99 sticker price, if Nintendo is not even able to get 2 TFLOP for $299.99 ... they are getting hosed, plain and simple and should take their business elsewhere (like PowerVR).

They should all be getting the same GPUs for more or less the same cost, I'm sure MS does too.

If Nintendo unifies with a weak console, IMO it will be the last Nintendo console.

People already overwhlemingly chose the 3DS over Wii U and even DS over Wii. Why should they buy a console NX when it doesn't even have its own games? If graphics are not the impressing factor, then who cares, not enough people care about playing Nintendo games on a TV. They'll just buy the portable and play Mario Kart 9, Animal Crossing NX, etc. on that.

The home console needs to have impressive graphics, the Nintendo games can be shared, but the home console should be able to run the higher end third party games and Nintendo games 1080p or even 2K/4K resolutions. Otherwise Nintendo will basically just have the portable take over the dedicated business and theother pillar for Nintendo will be mobile phone games (maybe even the leading pillar).

Do you have a legitimate source to backup that 14nm GPU claim?

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

NX graphics -> the best graphics you could get in 2017 for 199$.

voted for less powerful than Wii U for better argument. LOL.
I think it would be better than the original PS4 specs.

Seems like when NX was confirmed, Sony and MS really pushed for an upgraded version of their consoles. I know they normally release slim versions but not an upgraded one.

There are strong arguements to made for having a decent chip. A decent chipset means a good chance of lots of ports.

Ports make Nintendo money. For retail anyway, every copy of every third party game that you see on a store shelf means Nintendo got paid $10 minimum for everything from a copy of Call of Duty to that Barbie's Adventure Dream House at the bottom of the discount bin. Nintendo doesn't care either way, they get paid.

So having a system that can handle third party ports is advantageous to Nintendo. The GameCube even though it wasn't the biggest success hardware wise has the highest software attach rate of any Nintendo system ever (even higher than the Wii) largely because it was a disc-based system that could handle most any game on the market, as such it got a ton of third party titles.

Here's the attach ratio for Nintendo systems (games sold/piece of hardware):

Wii U = 6.56
3DS = 4.66
GameCube = 9.59
Game Boy (GB + GBC) = 4.22
Nintendo 64 = 6.83
Super Nintendo = 7.72
NES = 8.07

Wii = 8.99
DS = 6.15

You can see the GameCube's is abnormally high.

The console will be very powerful like Nintendo head Kimishima.
If you buy the NX, then there will be good days ahead for you and your family. If not Kimishima will crush you!
If you do not buy the NX then Kimishima will take your money with force!
Kimishima is a very powerful leader for Nintendo, like Stalin.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.