By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will the NX outsell the WiiU?

Digital only would be terrible. That's like steam. I prefer to own physical copies of all my games. Not to mention, how many stores do you think would actually stock an NX if they knew they couldn't sell any games for it?

Around the Network

The quality of Nintendo's product has decreased significantly in my opinion (Which kinda hurts to say). The company seems to have moved away from wanting to make great games and more into wanting to be innovative. Innovation isn't always good, especially if it decreases the quality of the product that was there in the first place. In the end though, NX will do better than WiiU. How can it possibly do any worse?

PC GAMING: BEST GAMES. WORST CONTROLS

A mouse & keyboard are made for sending email and typing internet badassery. Not for playing video games!!!

Obvious question is obvious. Did "unified library" ring any bells? 70 million nintendo consoles sold in the worst nintendo generation? Hellooooo?
This pessimism towards Nintendo is incredibly ridiculous. What a terrible time to know how to read english.

We reap what we sow

I'll play along and say no chance.

Nintendo will continue to disappoint everyone with a system that has features nobody asked for and lacking features everyone's been asking for.

And Nintendo will still have weak connections with 3rd party games. The last straw will be when Nintendo is trying to force Rockstar to sensor GTA6 for the NX lol

I believe it will, but not by very much. Maybe 20M. The interest in Nintendo consoles is dying. Just no way to refute that. And ever since the Wii, they seem stuck in the same strategy, trying desperately to reclaim that fire. Creating a controller gimmick, coupled with HW that would have been competitive power-wise last gen.

And if the more realistic rumors are right, they're doing the same exact thing with the NX. A controller with an HD screen, which may double as a HH console, with the console itself being on par with the PS4 OG. Some rumors even suggesting more inline with the XBO. That will only excite the Nintendo faithful, whose numbers continue to decline.

Of course, the biggest reason the NX will not be a huge success was launched in 2013. The PS4 is this gen's king. It's still doing great and has only seen a $50 price cut since launch. This year it'll be dropping even lower, probably to $299 or possibly even to $249 with the launch of the Neo. It's just going to have great momentum, something that's hard to compete against. Speaking of the Neo, if the rumors are true, and the soon to be standard PS4 is actually quite a bit more powerful than the NX, it'll look even more like last gen.

Nintendo launching when a gen is 3/4 of the way through, with underpowered HW to actually compete with the next true gen just isn't cutting it. It also means when a PS5 launches in 2019, NX is going to look completely outdated and its 3rd party support will suffer.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
Jumpin said:

Nintendo went from 20 to 100 million between GameCube and Wii, so it is possible to see jumps that high, possibly higher. A 5X jump to NX would mean about 70 million. It'll be interesting if NX can beat the Cube to Wii improvement.

Strong software is key. Wii had: Zelda, Wii Sports, Super Mario Galaxy, and Metroid Prime 3 in its year 1, and that was alongside a bunch of other games. Immediately Wii's year 1 was Nintendo's strongest year of releases ever. Nintendo needs a  repeat of Wii year 1 for NX.

That isn't really what drove Wii sales though. 

GameCube arguably had an equal/better 1st year of Nintendo franchise software vs. the Wii (not counting the Wii casual fare):

Super Smash Bros. Melee, Super Mario Sunshine, Metroid Prime, Luigi's Mansion, Pikmin, Animal Crossing, Star Fox Adventures, Eternal Darkness, Wave Race: Blue Storm, NBA Courtside 2002

vs.

Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, Zelda: TP (GCN port), Super Paper Mario, Wario Ware: Smooth Moves, Fire Emblem, Excite Truck, Mario Party, Mario Strikers, Battallion Wars Wii

It's a wash at best, yet Wii had much higher sales.

I think NX must have some really appreciable new element about it. It doesn't have to be some casual chasing gimmick but it needs to be something that clearly differeniates it next to a PS4/XB1/Wii U. But unlike the Wii, they can't gimp the chipset, it needs to be powerful otherwise developers will not support it, it should be at minimum equal to the PS4 and upgradable perhaps to PS4.5 levels.

There's not much argument at all when you look at the critical and commercial statistics. Wii is clearly the stronger lineup.

Want to see how the gaming press and other industry people rushed to play the Wii software at E3 2006? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHweWpS_0BU and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGlvLQzvJNA

1. Super Mario Galaxy is the most critically acclaimed videogame in the industry's history: http://www.gamerankings.com/browse.html - Super Mario Sunshine, on the otherhand, is the most weakly received 3D Mario, scoring even lower than Super Mario 3D World, and below many of the 2D Mario games, and even ports of 2D Mario games. In addition, Super Mario Galaxy greatly outsold Mario Sunshine.
2. Zelda Twilight Princess, while technically a port, it was not sold as one. Its original release was on Wii (not Gamecube) and was primarily pushed as a Wii title, given that the Gamecube one came out after and had a much more limited release. If you want to hold the fact that Twilight Princess began development on Gamecube and is therefore a port, you also have to point to the fact that Eternal Darkness, Starfox Adventures, and Animal Crossing are N64 ports, and combined they were less important than Twilight Princess on Wii.
3. Wii Sports was an incredibly fresh concept, and people were really excited to play it. There was nothing on the Gamecube that compared. Undeniably. this was Nintendo's biggest pack-in game outside of Super Mario Bros & Duck Hunt.
4. Smash Bros Melee, ended up being the biggest game on the Gamecube; but it lacked the critical and commercial success of Super Smash Brothers Brawl released on Wii at the beginning of Year 2. http://www.gamerankings.com/browse.html?search=Super+Smash&numrev=3&site= - Brawl remains the most all around successful title in the history of the franchise.
5. Animal Crossing was an interesting concept that wasn't fully realized until it moved to handheld where it was received better critically, and sold several times more units. In terms of fresh and interesting titles, this would be the closest to comparing to Wii Sports. It was an early experiment in casual gaming, games where a player logs in for a short period of time to do some tasks, and then logs out to return to play the next day.
6. Virtual Console is something people tend to forget when pointing out to what the Wii had available in the first year. Nintendo began relaunching many of its most successful titles ever it was popular enough that every week on facebook people would be posting about which new games Nintendo had brought to the virtual console. There was nothing in Gamecube's library that really compared, except maybe Animal Crossing, but that list is highly limited and not representative of games Nintendo is known for.

Wii had a much stronger line-up among both fans and critics. Gamecube is one of those consoles where there is a base of people who seem to remember the games being a lot better than they actually were. People forget the long droughts that the console had, that the Gamecube lineup was weak and uninteresting compared to its counterparts. Gamecube lacked the big exclamation points that Wii had available. Twilight Princess and Super Mario Galaxy alone were stronger than all of Gamecube's year 1 titles, and that is before you apply Wii Sports, and 15 other ganes published by Nintendo in the first year.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Cerebralbore101 said:
bigtakilla said:

I would say N64 was probably the worst console. If you can name 10 other games than Mario 64 and OOT then you are probably better than most. 

Meanwhile, I can name 10 games that were considered absolute masterpieces other than Galaxy and Skyward Sword.

So are you saying Skyward Sword was bad? Or good? I'm confused. Galaxy 1,2, and Xenoblade were masterpieces. X was pretty good, but kind of too big of a game for it's own good. If Nintendo made Galaxy 3, and went back to the MM/OoT/WW/TP days, then I would be a very happy man. 

No, I think Mario 64 and Skyward Sword were masterpieces, just it's easy to think of masterpieces other than the 2 obvious.

Qwark said:
Shamankings said:

Denial overflow.

Ok then, if we exclude the casual craze of ps2, ps consoles are declining since the first ps.

This isn't a fixed fanbase that grew smaller. People are always flowing from one system to the other, with not every snes/N64/GC buyer getting a previous gen nintendo system. Last gen wii was the absolute winner for gamers and no ammount of denial will change that.

Perhaps but there is a difference between your worst homeconsole selling 90 million and the first installment at 102 million and the drop of Nintendo. After all the difference is only 12.1%. Especially considering the PS4 is outselling the PS3 and the gap keeps on growing. To put it into perspective the constant decline of the Nintendo console fanbase shows that the nearest competitors offer better products really. I wouldn´t call Sony a competitor anymore, since Nintendo doesn´t want to compete with Playstation anymore (because they got their ass kicked in N64 and GC era) .

I doubt the Wii was the real winner for gamers last gen, most people eventually disliked motion controls and after the first 4 years where over the system died pretty quickly. But the 1st party games where great for the Wii though the lack of HD quickly cathed up with Nintendo. It made sure the Wii could never sell more than the PS2 really. The NX has the Wii U as predecessor that also doesn't boe well for Nintendo, while Sony's legacy is way brighter, long cycles, great third party support and making at least one GOTY per gen.

Usual denial from you and haters in general.

FentonCrackshell said:
The quality of Nintendo's product has decreased significantly in my opinion (Which kinda hurts to say). The company seems to have moved away from wanting to make great games and more into wanting to be innovative. Innovation isn't always good, especially if it decreases the quality of the product that was there in the first place. In the end though, NX will do better than WiiU. How can it possibly do any worse?

Why do you waste your time trolling like this? Only other haters like you will agree.

thismeintiel said:

I believe it will, but not by very much. Maybe 20M. The interest in Nintendo consoles is dying. Just no way to refute that. And ever since the Wii, they seem stuck in the same strategy, trying desperately to reclaim that fire. Creating a controller gimmick, coupled with HW that would have been competitive power-wise last gen.

And if the more realistic rumors are right, they're doing the same exact thing with the NX. A controller with an HD screen, which may double as a HH console, with the console itself being on par with the PS4 OG. Some rumors even suggesting more inline with the XBO. That will only excite the Nintendo faithful, whose numbers continue to decline.

Of course, the biggest reason the NX will not be a huge success was launched in 2013. The PS4 is this gen's king. It's still doing great and has only seen a $50 price cut since launch. This year it'll be dropping even lower, probably to $299 or possibly even to $249 with the launch of the Neo. It's just going to have great momentum, something that's hard to compete against. Speaking of the Neo, if the rumors are true, and the soon to be standard PS4 is actually quite a bit more powerful than the NX, it'll look even more like last gen.

Nintendo launching when a gen is 3/4 of the way through, with underpowered HW to actually compete with the next true gen just isn't cutting it. It also means when a PS5 launches in 2019, NX is going to look completely outdated and its 3rd party support will suffer.

hahahahaha. You're so ridiculous it's almost pitiful. I hope you're trolling, because if you're serious, well, good luck.