By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: "40 Million PS4's Shipped As Of March 31"

Kerotan said:
WoodenPints said:
How can people think VGC is spot on with the PS4 tracking? There's 5 more days left in March to track so with the current sales rate of 300k+ per month sales on VGC and will be tracked at 40m or more as of 31st March that's the same if not more than its shipped.

If its selling 300k a week that's 1.2m per month and there will be a minimum of 1m worldwide stock on shelves/warehouses giving us a realistic of 38.5m-39m at the very most sold through.

We know the weekly tracking isn't great just like it's never been.  But the overall number is very good.  Ps4 sold or shipped 40m as of a month ago?  Who cares because either way it's an absolutely behemoth. 

Tracking is so good because the numbers get/got adjusted by the quarterly reports. Now that Ms has compltely shut up, we will see numbers drifting away.

Just look at a few NPD threads and you see just how out of target the numbers have gotten.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
That means from end of december and it being 35.9m to end of March (3 months), its sold 4.1m.

4.1m / 3 months = 1.367m pr month.

Not bad.

You're comparing sold through (the 35.9m figure) with shipped (the 40m figure).

Jigsawx1 said:
Intrinsic said:

As of January 2016, Sony were at 35.9 million. Basically 36M. They have been doing better or or par YOY this year too. Meaning they are still selling around 1M consoles per month. 

But you are basically saying that they sold only 2M from January to the end of March? And then XB1 basically sold around 2-3M in same period?

I don't think so. 

No they sold 4 million to reatilers in this time period (36million >>>> 40 million)and Xbox sold 2-3 million in the same time(19 million>>>>22 million). XOne is doing better YoY too!

Sony's 35.9 Millions Statement was of Consoles sold to costumers, not to Stores, Stores probably was 37-38 Millions Shipped, i don't think that in 3 months they only sold 2 Millions of Consoles, and Xbox One, that was something near 18-19 Millions based on baseless Statements, even so you take the Highest possible sales for Xbox One,and the Lowest possible for Xbox One, the gap is greater than you Think, USA Sales, based on NPD, PS4, have over 2 to 1 Advantage over Xbox One, for January, February, and Probably also in March, so the Worldwide gap is atleast 3 to 1, maybe even more, if you Expect Xbox One, to Sell, Ship, etc, 2 Millions, PS4, must do 3 times this Worldwide, so 6 Millions. if PS4, shipped 2-3 Millions, and sold over 3-3.5 Millions in 3 Months, Xbox One, shipped over 650-1 Million of Units, and sold over 1-1.1 Millions worldwide in the same time.

Those numbers are based in the gap that we know from Official Sources, if want to make a Base in something, need to use the Gap that we know.

poklane said:
JRPGfan said:
That means from end of december and it being 35.9m to end of March (3 months), its sold 4.1m.

4.1m / 3 months = 1.367m pr month.

Not bad.

You're comparing sold through (the 35.9m figure) with shipped (the 40m figure).

oh.... >_<' my bad.

Some people here are very confused. I try to expain:

Sony has SHIPPED 40 million lifetime as for 31 March 2016, which mean they shipped 2.3 million during the first 3 months of 2016.

That's a -4% YOY drop compared to last year 2.4 million. This doesn't mean PS4 in SALES was down YOY, indeed, was up YOY by around +12% in the US, while Japan was up by around 20%.

Though we don't know how are the Europe sales which is the bigger PS4 sales part. Many guys think is a given is up even in Europe, but i honestly not sure about this... if i need to bet, i would say is up even in EU, but those are just speculation.

Anyway, the real reason for this YOY drop in term of shipments is because last quarter the PS4 was very, very overshipped, we talk about a 1.8 million gap between sales and shipments.

About worldwide sales, we still don't know yet.

But you can be sure, when the PS4 will surpass the 40 million unit sold, Sony will annunce it, they did it with 10 million, 20 million, 30 million, as well they will with 40 million.

So, we will have a better idea of how PS4 is doing this year.

We know it's lifetime sales were 35.9 million by end of 2015, so, when PS4 will sell 40 million, this mean PS4 YTD sales will be around 4.1 million for the year.

About VGChartz track... it's off, nothing to say more, PS4 shipments are 40m by end of March, and PS4 sales here are 39.8m by end of the week ending 26 March 2016. 200K gap between sold and shipped? Hard to believe.

Around the Network
Kerotan said:
Great tracking by Vgchartz. Ps4 is a beast. Congrats on 40m. It will hit 50m this year too!!!!!!

It's gonna come close to 60m.

Mummelmann said:
kowenicki said:

Approximately 1m.  Yes thats a small % but people would be screaming blue murder if it was the other way around.

Numbers around and right after holidays were pretty much spot on, which means that that 1 million over is mostly for the 1st quarter of 2016, that's over 40% overtracked if we use the approx. 3.35 million lt sales for 2016 up until March 26th that Vgchartz have listed. As a whole on lifetime sales, 1 million is well within the margins of error, but over the course of 3 months, it's more or less a disaster...

Edit; I think it's reasonable to assume that there are at least 1 million units in stock globally at all times this time of year, we have it at higher sellthrough than the actual shipments for the same period.

Yeah, but this was only an official Statement from Sony, so Bret has no real reason to update the numbers, right? :)

mornelithe said:
Mummelmann said:

Numbers around and right after holidays were pretty much spot on, which means that that 1 million over is mostly for the 1st quarter of 2016, that's over 40% overtracked if we use the approx. 3.35 million lt sales for 2016 up until March 26th that Vgchartz have listed. As a whole on lifetime sales, 1 million is well within the margins of error, but over the course of 3 months, it's more or less a disaster...

Edit; I think it's reasonable to assume that there are at least 1 million units in stock globally at all times this time of year, we have it at higher sellthrough than the actual shipments for the same period.

Yeah, but this was only an official Statement from Sony, so Bret has no real reason to update the numbers, right? :)

Precisely!

I don't mind errors, not one bit, these are free numbers and I love that we get to enjoy the figures and the ensuing discussions, but this is way, way outside of acceptable margins, even for us. As I said; the lifetime tracking is good, but 2016's numbers are really out of whack. I'm sure he'll adjust in time, our numbers are really quite good in hindsight and serve as a great tool to analyze and predict trends in the markets.

Turkish said:
Kerotan said:
Great tracking by Vgchartz. Ps4 is a beast. Congrats on 40m. It will hit 50m this year too!!!!!!

It's gonna come close to 60m.

Yeah it will probably be around 57m shipped by years end.  Crazy. 

Mummelmann said:
mornelithe said:

Precisely!

I don't mind errors, not one bit, these are free numbers and I love that we get to enjoy the figures and the ensuing discussions, but this is way, way outside of acceptable margins, even for us. As I said; the lifetime tracking is good, but 2016's numbers are really out of whack. I'm sure he'll adjust in time, our numbers are really quite good in hindsight and serve as a great tool to analyze and predict trends in the markets.

If only we could get Microsoft to release statements on Sony's numbers, then they'd get updated w/in a couple days :)