By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NX 2017 Lineup Predictions

I don't see how NX can be successful to be honest.

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:

I sugeest you read the posts again as I said each game individually had an affect on sales where as NSMBU never really showed any impact, if you're not going to read through the posts don't reply please.

Oh so you didn't just pull a Miyamotoo, though it's still interesting how you failed to respond to me.

@Bolded: Except selling 5 million, almost half the entire userbase, but we'll just keep glossing over that fact.

zorg1000 said:
Wyrdness said:

I sugeest you read the posts again as I said each game individually had an affect on sales where as NSMBU never really showed any impact, if you're not going to read through the posts don't reply please.

Please show me data that supports the notion that 3D World had a greater affect than NSMBU.

Wii U sold better in the month and quarter that NSMBU launched that it did in the month and quarter that 3D World launched.

so NSMBU sold more software than 3D World and the hardware sold better in the month & quarter it launched.

Early adoptors would give it better numbers in that quarter want an accurate look at the months after that to see NSMBU's pull, in the week of 3DW's release Wii U sold 103k units and that was during the period the competiton launched as well. Following week it sold 229k, 184k after that, 263k following then 341k etc... post holiday Wii U sold 116k, then 70 before coming to a baseline of 40k compared to the baseline of 20k post launch. The numbers I've taken off this very site so yes going by that 3DW had a more significant impact that sold more hardware.

NSMBU just did what it normally does and sell to the userbase, this was also the second time a NSMB game failed to lift a platform as the same thing happened with the 3DS take a guess why with NX Zelda is being moved for launch instead of relying on NSMB like before.

Einsam_Delphin said:
Wyrdness said:

Oh so you didn't just pull a Miyamotoo, though it's still interesting how you failed to respond to me.

@Bolded: Except selling 5 million, almost half the entire userbase, but we'll just keep glossing over that fact.

Most of those 5m bought the platform for other games, they just bought NSMBU eventually as it's a decoration title, I didn't respond to you because you're not looking for a debate but more a slanging match going by your responses.

Wyrdness said:

Most of those 5m bought the platform for other games, they just bought NSMBU eventually as it's a decoration title, I didn't respond to you because you're not looking for a debate but more a slanging match going by your responses.

So you believe software sales mean nothing towards how many systems a game can move then? So what were people buying Wii Us for prior to SM3DW's launch considering Wii U was at 3.5 million with NSMBU already over 2 million?

Around the Network
Einsam_Delphin said:

So you believe software sales mean nothing towards how many systems a game can move then? So what were people buying Wii Us for prior to SM3DW's launch considering Wii U was at 3.5 million with NSMBU already over 2 million?

Software sales can be misleading in a games actual commercial power, to start off and answer your question the majority of sales throughout early 2013 were early adoptors and avid fans hence why after the launch window the Wii U dropped to numbers like 20k and didn't pick up until WWHD and 3DW arrived which raised the baseline indicating a more significant impact in moving hardware.

Why I say sales aren't an indicator for some software pushing hardware? Because as I mentioned earlier some titles are what I label decoration titles, these are titles that although not neccessarily fillers as they're titles that sell to what's already present, this is one major reason why the Wii U dropped off fast after the early adopters and avid fans had made their purchase as these consumers would have bought the platform even if the was only Nintendoland bundled available. NSMB is a series that doesn't create the momentum it rides the momentum that's there, it's a game that should come out midway through the console's life and not launch it as a result.

To elaborate further on what I mean by decoration title, these are games you look at and may even try and sure they're fun but they're far from a solid reason to buy the platform they're more a game you can do with out if the library doesn't tickle your fancy or a game you'll eventually get at some point down as you're finally buying the platform with MK8 or Splatoon. Donkey Kong Country I also put in the same boat as NSMB.

That's my reasoning, to give you an analogy most people will buy chips when they go to a fast food store but chips isn't the reason for them going to the store.

Wyrdness said:

Software sales can be misleading in a games actual commercial power, to start off and answer your question the majority of sales throughout early 2013 were early adoptors and avid fans hence why after the launch window the Wii U dropped to numbers like 20k and didn't pick up until WWHD and 3DW arrived which raised the baseline indicating a more significant impact in moving hardware.

Why I say sales aren't an indicator for some software pushing hardware? Because as I mentioned earlier some titles are what I label decoration titles, these are titles that although not neccessarily fillers as they're titles that sell to what's already present, this is one major reason why the Wii U dropped off fast after the early adopters and avid fans had made their purchase as these consumers would have bought the platform even if the was only Nintendoland bundled available. NSMB is a series that doesn't create the momentum it rides the momentum that's there, it's a game that should come out midway through the console's life and not launch it as a result.

To elaborate further on what I mean by decoration title, these are games you look at and may even try and sure they're fun but they're far from a solid reason to buy the platform they're more a game you can do with out if the library doesn't tickle your fancy or a game you'll eventually get at some point down as you're finally buying the platform with MK8 or Splatoon. Donkey Kong Country I also put in the same boat as NSMB.

That's my reasoning.

I find it extremely hard to believe the Wii U woulda sold the same from launch without NSMBU. The Wii U dropped off because of no gamez, so it definitely woulda done worse launching with no major game. Naturally sales are gonna go up once it finally got notable new ones. People don't buy a console solely for one game, you need a vast library. No one game by itself can hold up a console on it's own no matter how big it is. That's why simply swapping the order of release between SM3DW and NSMBU would make no difference, because that solves zero of the Wii U's problems, lack of games just being one of them. To say a baseline increase after any game release is purely to that game's credit alone is untrue, the other games still exist and are still being sold so they contribute aswell, as again it's games that sell consoles, not a game. As for the decoration thing, that's really just your opinion, no real way to prove why people bought it. As I pointed out NSMBU got half it's sales while it was basically the only noteworthy game on the system. Even now there are more Wii U owners with NSMBU without SM3DW than Wii U owners with SM3DW without NSMBU. Logic simply dictates that it's just as much of a system seller.

Wyrdness said:
zorg1000 said:

Please show me data that supports the notion that 3D World had a greater affect than NSMBU.

Wii U sold better in the month and quarter that NSMBU launched that it did in the month and quarter that 3D World launched.

so NSMBU sold more software than 3D World and the hardware sold better in the month & quarter it launched.

Early adoptors would give it better numbers in that quarter want an accurate look at the months after that to see NSMBU's pull, in the week of 3DW's release Wii U sold 103k units and that was during the period the competiton launched as well. Following week it sold 229k, 184k after that, 263k following then 341k etc... post holiday Wii U sold 116k, then 70 before coming to a baseline of 40k compared to the baseline of 20k post launch. The numbers I've taken off this very site so yes going by that 3DW had a more significant impact that sold more hardware.

NSMBU just did what it normally does and sell to the userbase, this was also the second time a NSMB game failed to lift a platform as the same thing happened with the 3DS take a guess why with NX Zelda is being moved for launch instead of relying on NSMB like before.

wasnt Wii U down YOY in the 2 months following 3D World release according to NPD?

Also you arent taking into account multiple other things like the releases of Pikmin 3, Luigi U, Wind Waker HD, Wii Party U and a $50 price cut to the deluxe sku and new bundles in the months leading up to 3D World release.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

I think they're going to have a pretty extensive launch and launch window. They need to front-load the shit out of the Nx to make sure it attracts attention. Wii U's been destitute as fuck for the last two years so I think it's pretty safe to assume that most of their team's efforts have been moved to the NX.

Launch day:
Super Mario Galaxy 3, Super Mario Dimension, or whatever they call the next 3D Mario.
Why? Nintendo releases them roughly every three years and they know people expect a Mario game from them at launch.
Legend of Zelda U Port
Why? Already confirmed to be coming to Nx simultaneously with the Wii U version. I can't imagine they would make us wait beyond Q1 2017 for Zelda, so I think the Wii U version will come out the same day that the Nx launches.
Super Smash Bros for Nx
Why? This port was rumored and it seems very likely. It will probably be like four years before Smash Bros 5 is ready. Nintendo probably knows having those name-drop titles like Mario, Zelda, and Smash Bros at launch will help them. The Nx version will probably come with all of the exclusive content and maybe an additional character or two (Ice Climbers? Wolf? Inkling?)
Beyond Good and Evil 2
Why? This was also rumored. I'm inclined to believe it because less than a month prior to that rumor surfacing, Ubisoft confirmed that the game was still in development. This type of business practice is happening a lot lately from Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo. Usually when we hear the same murmurings from multiple sources it ends up having some validity to it. That's the same reason I think Sony will announce a new Crash Bandicoot game soon.
Pikmin 4
Why? Because Nintendo said it was "almost done" last year. Its coming whether it be on Nx or Wii U. Since they seem to only be focusing on Legend of Zelda at E3, I think it's pretty obvious that we're not getting too many more major Wii U game announcements. That's why I'm leaning towards Nx. Not to mention Pikmin 3 failed to meet sales expectations on the Wii U. It would make sense from a business standpoint to try to get those early adopter's money instead of trying with a second one on Wii U.

Later in 2017:
Metroid Prime 4
Why? Retro's next game should come in 2017. Nintendo let us know that they know that we want a new Metroid game. They said when it comes it would probably be on their next console, not Wii U. I could see this one being a holiday 2017 game.
Luigi's Mansion 3
Why? Another rumored game. The last one sold well so it makes sense that they would go ahead with another one.
Mario Kart 9
Why? They're on a three year development cycle. The last one came out in 2014. I could see this and Metroid Prime 4 (or whatever Retro's game is) being their holiday 2017 games.
Animal Crossing Nx
Why? It's one of their more popular franchises so if they really want a powerhouse line up for their first year, they'll fit this one in there. The last real Animal Crossing game came out in 2013. It could be a good summer game.
Ports of Wii U games
Why? Games like Splatoon, Super Mario Maker, Star Fox: Zero, Bayonetta 2, and Pokken Tournament would be easy to port, (hopefully) find a wider audience than they had on the Wii U, and would add more high profile games to the Nx's line up early on. PS3 sold 80 million units but, according to Sony, there were still tons of people who owned PS4s that never owned a PS3 and had a chance to play games like The Last of Us. Wii U has only sold 12 million units. If Nx entices more people to get a Nintendo console which is, I'm sure, what Nintendo wants, then many of the owners will probably never have had a chance to play any of the Wii U's games.

Einsam_Delphin said:

I find it extremely hard to believe the Wii U woulda sold the same from launch without NSMBU. The Wii U dropped off because of no gamez, so it definitely woulda done worse launching with no major game. Naturally sales are gonna go up once it finally got notable new ones. People don't buy a console solely for one game, you need a vast library. No one game by itself can hold up a console on it's own no matter how big it is. That's why simply swapping the order of release between SM3DW and NSMBU would make no difference, because that solves zero of the Wii U's problems, lack of games just being one of them. To say a baseline increase after any game release is purely to that game's credit alone is untrue, the other games still exist and are still being sold so they contribute aswell, as again it's games that sell consoles, not a game. As for the decoration thing, that's really just your opinion, no real way to prove why people bought it. As I pointed out NSMBU got half it's sales while it was basically the only noteworthy game on the system. Even now there are more Wii U owners with NSMBU without SM3DW than Wii U owners with SM3DW without NSMBU. Logic simply dictates that it's just as much of a system seller.

That's your view but one I'll never agree with plus you're trying to fill gaps in your argument by bringing in irrelevant arguments like solving all the U's problems which is not even the argument it's whenther NSMBU is really a system seller and I say flat out no it's tried twice on two different platforms and failed to shift either of them. Note how I highlighted the baseline change on an individual basis to show their impact, this makes your response about a combination of games irrelevant as I've highlighted them individually.

Wii U would have sold the same with out NSMBU because all those early sales were as I said early adopters and avid fans, these are the consumers that were always going to buy the platform straight up that's why the was a huge drop off as no consumers outside this group were going to commit yet which is why no new games hurt the system. I agree with him when he implies 3DW would have encouraged some people outside of the avid and early adopters group to commit, NSMB series has shown twice it can only ride the tide and not create it, its sales fooled everyone into thinking it's a system seller, I'll come out and say it you could have released NSMBU after the launch window you would have seen little to no change in hardware sales, in fact they semi did with NSLU which was stand alone as well and had no impact. You see those numbers as a system seller which is understandable Nintendo made the same mistake me personally and some others as well who have said the same see them as a game that's a different kind of animal that sells to who is already there rather than bringing new people in, having higher sales doesn't back your view as it just says NSMB is easier to get into for more people.

It's like my analogy most places sell a lot of chips with their food but the chips aren't the reason people go there hell they probably sell more chips than the individual bits of their meals, NSMB series is like this for its platforms.