By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Top 10.NX must have features

Soundwave said:

My personal feeling is still that NX is something fairly different *while* being flexible enough to not entirely alienate those who are willing to buy Nintendo hardware but would want access to traditional type gaming as well.

So my guess is NX is a portable console, something that hasn't really been done before, which can interface to nearby TVs or tablets/phones and has some kind of new control input that invites people to gather around it because that just seems like a very Nintendo-ey design focus. 

Buuuuuut, it has a Supplemental Computing Device (SCD, which Nintendo has patented), which is basically just an extra APU for home use that enables higher end graphics for those who want that. And there's a traditional controller in the mix for those who want that.

That's what I suspect anyway, but I don't think it is just a vanilla console (for better or worse).

How do you do all that without confusing people? How do you market it? People were already confused about what the WiiU was (was it a tablet, a Wii add-on, a new console?), imagine trying to explain that to an audience that wants as little complications as possible.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network
lonerism said:
Darwinianevolution said:

We live in a world dominated by smartphones and tablets, the touchscreen technology is not particulary expensive or new anymore.  Plus, Nintendo and other devs have used the doublescreen wondefully multiple times with the DS and the 3DS. A smaller screen won't eat all the processing power of the NX, so it won't hold the console back (hello Starfox Zero), while allowing the quirks and features of the second screen. True, on home consoles two screens are not that important, you are looking at the TV and not the controller, but having a small option works for a lot of things. The DS4 has a touchpad, and I'm sure it will be used fine, I can't see why the NX's controller shouldn't use a small touchscreen.

lol

I keep forgetting that the DS4 has a touchpad, I don't use it at all

Yeah, the only thing its used for is as an extra button.

Darwinianevolution said:
Soundwave said:

My personal feeling is still that NX is something fairly different *while* being flexible enough to not entirely alienate those who are willing to buy Nintendo hardware but would want access to traditional type gaming as well.

So my guess is NX is a portable console, something that hasn't really been done before, which can interface to nearby TVs or tablets/phones and has some kind of new control input that invites people to gather around it because that just seems like a very Nintendo-ey design focus. 

Buuuuuut, it has a Supplemental Computing Device (SCD, which Nintendo has patented), which is basically just an extra APU for home use that enables higher end graphics for those who want that. And there's a traditional controller in the mix for those who want that.

That's what I suspect anyway, but I don't think it is just a vanilla console (for better or worse).

How do you do all that without confusing people? How do you market it? People were already confused about what the WiiU was (was it a tablet, a Wii add-on, a new console?), imagine trying to explain that to an audience that wants as little complications as possible.

It's a mobile console, there's nothing really all that complicated about it. 

SCD would be just a a simply home add-on for better graphics. I don't think it's terribly complex, it merges both Nintendo hardware lines into basically one streamlined product. 

I don't think confusion was the Wii U's core problem -- the core problem is no one wanted one that badly. I had several friends come over all of whom owned a Wii and we played Nintendo Land together, I explained the entire console to them, explained it was a completely new system, they even enjoyed it quite a bit, lots of laughter, etc. etc. etc. Long story short, 3 years later not a single one of them ended up buying a Wii U. 

It's just not enough of a "wow" product. It's more of "oh, that's kinda neat" product, but that doesn't really get people excited. 

ReubenAlexander said:

nintendo doesnt "need" any of this. all they really need is their typical brilliantly made games and some decent marketing this time around. all this other stuff is just basically.. "we want it to be like ps4!" 

given they have those two things, they can really do whatever the hell they want and itll be profitable for them. and to be honest, i think thats exactly the position that they like to be in.

Well, yes and no.I agree that people think(wrongly so) that NX needs to be a monster in terms of power.I mean, it needs the basic, but power was never the most important aspect to the success of a console.I mean, it needs some power, just dosent need to be pc-level like some people like to preach about.But I disagree that it shouldnt aim to be "like a PS4".I mean, at least in the games department.Third party is crucial wether nintendo fans like it or not.Nintendo needs to get them on board, so that non-Nintendo fans can get interested in the console.Not only that, but it truly does need a better online infrastructure.Better online connections, better online services in general, also more social elements on it(like streaming or even the mobile integration that it is rumored to have) will go long ways to sell it.

Nintendo needs to keep being Nintendo.Thats their selling point and what makes them stand above the competition.But they also cant ignore the moments and features that many people consider essencial today.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Soundwave said:
Darwinianevolution said:

SCD would be just a a simply home add-on for better graphics. I don't think it's terribly complex, it merges both Nintendo hardware lines into basically one streamlined product. 

I don't think confusion was the Wii U's core problem -- the core problem is no one wanted one that badly. I had several friends come over all of whom owned a Wii and we played Nintendo Land together, I explained the entire console to them, explained it was a completely new system, they even enjoyed it quite a bit, lots of laughter, etc. etc. etc. Long story short, 3 years later not a single one of them ended up buying a Wii U. 

It's just not enough of a "wow" product. It's more of "oh, that's kinda neat" product, but that doesn't really get people excited. 

they probably werent aware of many of the great games that were available for the console. if all they played were nintendo land, its easy to assume that the system only has party games of that sort. i bet they went ahead and bought Destiny PS4 bundles, huh? what system did they end up getting and what games have you heard that they like?

Around the Network

There isn't anything wrong with being a PS4. The Playstation just basically aped the traditional Nintendo structure and copied Sega's trope of marketing to teenagers/adults and that's basically it, but PS4 is basically just a modern Super Nintendo.

The question is whether or not Nintendo can get traction using that same approach given that they are coming so late into this generation. My guess is no (if they release just a vanilla console).

That said, it wouldn't impact my enjoyment of said system.

I agree with everything except #10 and #1, those are not neccesary at all.

ReubenAlexander said:
Soundwave said:

they probably werent aware of many of the great games that were available for the console. if all they played were nintendo land, its easy to assume that the system only has party games of that sort. i bet they went ahead and bought Destiny PS4 bundles, huh? what system did they end up getting and what games have you heard that they like?

Half bought a PS4 eventually. The other half didn't buy any console post-Wii period and now game pretty much entirely on smart devices. 

We mostly played Nintendo Land, but some NSMBU too. But I told them you know it would have Smash Brothers and Mario 3D, but not a single one bit. 

Of the 20 or so friends/family I know that have the original Wii, none of them purchased a Wii U, even after I explained to them it's a new system, with a new Mario 3D, new Smash Bros., etc. etc. 

Honestly even at the store the enthusiasm gap is fairly evident, the PS4/XB1 displays are almost always busier, the only people who try out the Wii U kiosk are younger children. 

To be honest I think most people got their fill of waving their arms around and the whole "Wii" experience by about 2011. Making a Wii 2 or Wii U or whatever you want to call it was a mistake from the get go, Nintendo should have just spun the brand off into a fitness centric thing and made a traditional "real" console for 2012/13. 

Dont agree with point 5. and 10.

Nautilus said:
ReubenAlexander said:

nintendo doesnt "need" any of this. all they really need is their typical brilliantly made games and some decent marketing this time around. all this other stuff is just basically.. "we want it to be like ps4!" 

given they have those two things, they can really do whatever the hell they want and itll be profitable for them. and to be honest, i think thats exactly the position that they like to be in.

Well, yes and no.I agree that people think(wrongly so) that NX needs to be a monster in terms of power.I mean, it needs the basic, but power was never the most important aspect to the success of a console.I mean, it needs some power, just dosent need to be pc-level like some people like to preach about.But I disagree that it shouldnt aim to be "like a PS4".I mean, at least in the games department.Third party is crucial wether nintendo fans like it or not.Nintendo needs to get them on board, so that non-Nintendo fans can get interested in the console.Not only that, but it truly does need a better online infrastructure.Better online connections, better online services in general, also more social elements on it(like streaming or even the mobile integration that it is rumored to have) will go long ways to sell it.

Nintendo needs to keep being Nintendo.Thats their selling point and what makes them stand above the competition.But they also cant ignore the moments and features that many people consider essencial today.

dont get me wrong, id love a 4K friendly console and i think it would be a great idea for them to go for. i dont really disagree with anything you said, but what i think we can both agree on very much is that nintendo needs to keep being nintendo. that was kind of the spirit of my post. all they really NEED to do is just be themselves, but id add in more aggressive marketing along with that. maybe im harping on the word "need" too much. im taking it too literally probably. oh well.