By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - SHOCK CLAIM: Ukrainian fighter jet shot down Malaysia Airlines' MH17

I'm still deeply convinced that both Russia and the US both know more than they admit about MH17. Both sides have shown suspicious behaviour when it comes to MH17; both sides have "something to hide" here.
I therefore believe the real truth about MH17 is much more complicated than the simple "The eastern ukrainian freedom fighters did it" or "the western ukrainian army did it" explanations most people tend to (and which version people prefer is usually just a matter of whom they have more sympathies for).

I have a personal theory about what really happened with MH17. It might be completely wrong, but the beauty about it is how many things suddenly make sense within this theory. I'm not going into details, but I'm strongly convinced people focus too much on the question of "who pulled the trigger?". That is an obvious, but in this particular case, I believe it is also a completely misleading question.

Around the Network
ArnoldRimmer said:

I have a personal theory about what really happened with MH17. It might be completely wrong, but the beauty about it is how many things suddenly make sense within this theory. I'm not going into details, but I'm strongly convinced people focus too much on the question of "who pulled the trigger?". That is an obvious, but in this particular case, I believe it is also a completely misleading question.

Please, give us your theory! )

Final-Fan said:
Sharu said:
Final-Fan, thank you for the links! I'll try to check info we have in Russian on this report and the report itself.

What have you found out so far?  What are the Russian people being told about the MH17 shootdown that disagrees with the official Dutch Safety Board report? 

We had the report translated to Russian and its the same as official. 

Russian position is that the plane was shot down. And that we demand investigations. We have facts (shown by Rus MoD) that during shooting down Ukraine Jet was in the area. Officials in Russia never say that that jet shoot down Boeing. But it was there, shown by radars and Russian satellites. 

Antey (producer of Buk missiles) made an experiment (blasting old boeing with the same type of missile on the same angle/distance as in the report) but the results are very different then the damage we see on Boeing. 

Very suspisious thing for me is that Ukraine didn't provide records of talks between plane and Ukraine's air traffic controllers. Also the controllers are lost, with no official information where are they. Another suspicious thing is that USA didn't provide yet its satellite information during incident.

I don't know if we'll ever know the truth about this incident, but I'm sure its not the simple 'bloody donetsk rebels under Putin's command shoot down civil plane because... because... You know, Russians are evil!'

Sharu said:
Final-Fan said:

What have you found out so far?  What are the Russian people being told about the MH17 shootdown that disagrees with the official Dutch Safety Board report? 

We had the report translated to Russian and its the same as official. 

Russian position is that the plane was shot down. And that we demand investigations. We have facts (shown by Rus MoD) that during shooting down Ukraine Jet was in the area. Officials in Russia never say that that jet shoot down Boeing. But it was there, shown by radars and Russian satellites. 

Antey (producer of Buk missiles) made an experiment (blasting old boeing with the same type of missile on the same angle/distance as in the report) but the results are very different then the damage we see on Boeing. 

Very suspisious thing for me is that Ukraine didn't provide records of talks between plane and Ukraine's air traffic controllers. Also the controllers are lost, with no official information where are they. Another suspicious thing is that USA didn't provide yet its satellite information during incident.

I don't know if we'll ever know the truth about this incident, but I'm sure its not the simple 'bloody donetsk rebels under Putin's command shoot down civil plane because... because... You know, Russians are evil!'

Thanks for looking into this. Of course, I still have some questions about what you found. 

[edit:  reponded in post below to air traffic control issue and other things]

Source please for intelligence on a Ukrainian jet being in the area.  Has the Russian government publicly released this satellite and radar data? 

Source please for Buk's experiment. 

What satellite information do you think the USA has, and what light would it realistically shed on this incident?  Do you think it has some data the Russian satellite data lacks?  Also, with all the chaos that was going on there, why is it so remarkable that the Ukrainian government has lost track of where some people are? 

What is the Russian position on the Twitter post by the rebels immediately after MH17 was shot down, in which they claimed to have shot down a military aircraft (although Ukraine lost no aircraft in that period of time), and which they deleted after they found out that a civilian aircraft had gone down in the area? 

I don't think reasonable people believe that the rebels were directly under Putin's command.  But he gave them the missiles, so he bears some responsibility, or blame, for what is done with them.  If you give a vigilante a gun, expecting him to kill some criminal with it, and he shoots a policeman, you're going to be in trouble. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Final-Fan said:
Sharu said:

Thanks for looking into this. Of course, I still have some questions about what you found. 

[EDIT: WAIT WAIT WAIT ARE YOU SERIOUS CHECKIGN THIS AIR TRAFFIC TRANSCRIPT BUSINESS RIGHT NOW]

Source please for intelligence on a Ukrainian jet being in the area.  Has the Russian government publicly released this satellite and radar data? 

Source please for Buk's experiment. 

What satellite information do you think the USA has, and what light would it realistically shed on this incident?  Do you think it has some data the Russian satellite data lacks?  Also, with all the chaos that was going on there, why is it so remarkable that the Ukrainian government has lost track of where some people are? 

What is the Russian position on the Twitter post by the rebels immediately after MH17 was shot down, in which they claimed to have shot down a military aircraft (although Ukraine lost no aircraft in that period of time), and which they deleted after they found out that a civilian aircraft had gone down in the area? 

I don't think reasonable people believe that the rebels were directly under Putin's command.  But he gave them the missiles, so he bears some responsibility, or blame, for what is done with them.  If you give a vigilante a gun, expecting him to kill some criminal with it, and he shoots a policeman, you're going to be in trouble. 

This is the press conference of MoD regarding the Boeing. Didn't find it in English yet, maybe you'll be more lucky.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSpeo5RcQQo

Almaz-Antey reports
http://tass.ru/eksperiment-almaz-anteya/videomaterialy/ - videos
http://ria.ru/mh17/20151013/1300992268.html - article with explanations... All in Russian, sorry. Basically, Antey in their report saying that the Boeing was shot down by Buk missile, but its another (older)  type of Buk (9М38) which isn't produced since 1986 and is not on positions in Russian arny since 2011.
Newer type of missiles  9М38М1 will have very different picture of damage on the plane. 
Also they are saying that Buk fired not from area af Snezhnoe, but from Zaroschenskoe. 

Of course, you should take it with a grain of salt as any information nowadays, but thats the report. Antey saying that they give full information to Netherlands investigation team, but they ignored it. 

Whats about 'WAIT WAIT WAIT ARE YOU SERIOUS CHECKIGN THIS AIR TRAFFIC TRANSCRIPT BUSINESS RIGHT NOW'? )))

Also... Official twitter of rebels... Its a fun thing. In fact a lot of strange persons was around Donetsk that days, and very few of them are really represent Donetsk people. 

Regarding USA satellites... I think they've shown the same info as Russian. And the reason they are not shown yet (Russian too!) - is that there's some undercover trade going on on that data.

Around the Network
Sharu said:

This is the press conference of MoD regarding the Boeing. Didn't find it in English yet, maybe you'll be more lucky.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSpeo5RcQQo

Almaz-Antey reports
http://tass.ru/eksperiment-almaz-anteya/videomaterialy/ - videos
http://ria.ru/mh17/20151013/1300992268.html - article with explanations... All in Russian, sorry. Basically, Antey in their report saying that the Boeing was shot down by Buk missile, but its another (older)  type of Buk (9М38) which isn't produced since 1986 and is not on positions in Russian arny since 2011.
Newer type of missiles  9М38М1 will have very different picture of damage on the plane. 
Also they are saying that Buk fired not from area af Snezhnoe, but from Zaroschenskoe. 

Of course, you should take it with a grain of salt as any information nowadays, but thats the report. Antey saying that they give full information to Netherlands investigation team, but they ignored it. 

Whats about 'WAIT WAIT WAIT ARE YOU SERIOUS CHECKIGN THIS AIR TRAFFIC TRANSCRIPT BUSINESS RIGHT NOW'? )))

Also... Official twitter of rebels... Its a fun thing. In fact a lot of strange persons was around Donetsk that days, and very few of them are really represent Donetsk people. 

Regarding USA satellites... I think they've shown the same info as Russian. And the reason they are not shown yet (Russian too!) - is that there's some undercover trade going on on that data.

Good news.  I have found information about this press conference. 
https://www.bellingcat.com/news/uk-and-europe/2015/01/10/su-25-mh17-and-the-problems-with-keeping-a-story-straight/
This article points out that most things in that press conference were provable lies, or otherwise questionable claims, but let's assume that the information about the jet was true.  This is a translation from the article of some of what was said.  You can tell me if they made a mistake. 
"A Ukraine Air Force military jet was detected gaining height, it’s distance from the Malaysian Boeing was 3 to 5km…. The SU-25 fighter jet can gain an altitude of 10km, according to its specification…. It’s equipped with air-to-air R-60 missiles that can hit a target at a distance up to 12km, up to 5km for sure.”
The R-60 missile is a heat-seeking missile that would have hit a completely different part of the plane from where the actual damage was sustained, so we can rule out this as a cause of the damage. 

By the way, the Ukrainians released more radar data than the Russians did (including some raw data instead of just video) and according to the DSB report this seems to indicate only three civilian aircraft in the vicinity.  "There was no evidence of other aircraft, civil or military, in the direct vicinity of flight MH17. According to radar data three other aeroplanes were in Sector 4 of Dnipropetrovsk  Area  Control  Centre at the time of the crash, all commercial air transport category aeroplanes. Two were flying eastbound, one was flying westbound. All were under control of Dnipro  Radar. At 13.20 (15.20 CET) the distance between the closest of these aeroplanes and flight MH17 was 33 km."  In other words, even if one of these planes was military, 33km would be too far away to hit with the type of missile alleged to be on the plane the Russian press conference spoke of.  Also, the radar data that the Russians did release generally agreed with the Ukrainian data. 

As for the air traffic control transcript, we actually do have a transcript available, again courtesy of the DSB report. 
http://onderzoeksraad.nl/uploads/phase-docs/1006/77c9b856be08report-mh17-crash-appendices.pdf
Not sure why you didn't look for this yourself when you were checking what Russia was saying against what the DSB report was saying.  Why didn't you? 

The twitter post ... are you saying that we don't know who was making that post, that we cannot verify that the twitter account belonged to rebels?  I think we probably can. 

As for the missile type, I will check in the report for that too, but I will post this now and edit later, so as to not keep you waiting too much longer. 
PLACEHOLDER FOR MISSILES

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!

Just one question. Who are Bellingcat and why you trust them?

Sharu said:
Just one question. Who are Bellingcat and why you trust them?

Bellingcat is a British site that I have heard very little about, but what little I have heard leads me to believe it considers itself to be a watchdog organization against government propaganda/coverups/"official story".  But in any case their article does not do any original research that I happened to read (I skimmed the article for relevant information), but draws conclusions based on evidence that they seem pretty good about citing with links and quotes.  Not only this, but the only thing I really got from them was the translation of the press conference quote, which would be a very strange thing to lie about, so I trust them for that; and also their links were helpful in directing my research. 

I had thought their discussion of the Spanish air traffic controller "Carlos" (who according to them doesn't seem to actually exist) might be important, and thus bellingcat's credibility might be an issue until I found good enough additional sources, but it hasn't been an issue yet. 

Sharu said:

Official twitter of rebels... Its a fun thing. In fact a lot of strange persons was around Donetsk that days, and very few of them are really represent Donetsk people. 

I have looked into this, and found information that seems conclusive unless it can be challenged as false. 
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2014/jul/20/john-kerry/kerry-ukrainian-separatist-bragged-social-media/

"We know that a post appeared on Strelkov’s social media profile bragging about shooting down a transport plane close to the MH 17 crash site. In a subsequent post, Strelkov said the information passed along came not from him directly, but from militia members on the scene. He said the information was unofficial and incorrect.

"It’s impossible to know with certainty Strelkov's role in the post, or when the post was pulled, but we do know that the posts come from within the separatist movement -- as Strelkov himself said."

So it was definitely posted by rebel militia.  But the militia (after knowing about MH17) said that the militia members who posted it didn't know what they were talking about.  Extremely suspicious. 

Final-Fan said:
Sharu said:

Official twitter of rebels... Its a fun thing. In fact a lot of strange persons was around Donetsk that days, and very few of them are really represent Donetsk people. 

I have looked into this, and found information that seems conclusive unless it can be challenged as false. 
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2014/jul/20/john-kerry/kerry-ukrainian-separatist-bragged-social-media/

"We know that a post appeared on Strelkov’s social media profile bragging about shooting down a transport plane close to the MH 17 crash site. In a subsequent post, Strelkov said the information passed along came not from him directly, but from militia members on the scene. He said the information was unofficial and incorrect.

"It’s impossible to know with certainty Strelkov's role in the post, or when the post was pulled, but we do know that the posts come from within the separatist movement -- as Strelkov himself said."

So it was definitely posted by rebel militia.  But the militia (after knowing about MH17) said that the militia members who posted it didn't know what they were talking about.  Extremely suspicious. 

That Strelkov man is very suspitious too. He's out from Donetsk now, and trying to build some patriotic opposition movement in Russia. He was promoted thru the Internet as hell before the incident. After that he flew to Russia. Now some investigations going on against him. 
So to call him a part of Donetsk rebels is a bit wrong.