By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Emily Rogers made a new blog post about the NX's software output

Soundwave said:
JEMC said:

Instead of focusing on the supposedly big number of games that will launch on the first year, something that I'm sure won't happen and that excuses like "there were delays" or "some were cancelled due to not meeting Nintendo quality standards" will be used, I want to know more about two points mentioned:

- To accomplish this, the entire process of how Nintendo develops and produces software has gone through radical changes.

- There is a new strategy that was put in place to create and release first party software at a faster rate.

What does this mean? How will Nintendo do this?

Clearly they've hired primates and other zoo animals to assist with game development. 

Actually it's pretty much the staple of Nintendo "rumors" ... keep it vague and wishy washy enough so that you can't be pinned down on any one point. 

Here's your classic NX rumor:

"NX will be quite powerful from what I've been told. Could be more than PS4, maybe considerably so. There's a console and there's some kind of portable component, unsure if that means its sold seperately or not. Controller may have a screen or not. Console isn't traditional though. But has some traditional controls. Oh and Nintendo support is going to be amazing. Zelda yes, but expect others too. It definitely plays video games though, I'm 100% sure of that."

"But don't blame me if what I said turns out to be completely wrong! Things change in development and get cancelled all the time!"

Around the Network

Unless Nintendo have found a way to make games for cheaper, where they can hire more people to make games of with current gen graphics and still have quality gameplay, I very much doubt any studio could afford or would want to release 30+ AAA games a year. They would never make their money back as no gamer would be able to afford or have the time to go through them all on day or year of launch.

Considering the number of games which have been pushed back, I can believe the first 2 years may out do previous years of releases on the WiiU, but it sounds really cocky and unrealistic if we are to take her words literally.

It is simply possible that Nintendo, After the runaway success of relatively small project (If what I'm remembering is correct.) called Splatoon (Or Captain Toad), decided that they will re-organize the development structure to have 1~2 Core team and lots of small teams to experiment with new ideas, small or big.

If that is the case, I expect line up of about 1~2 full price Nintendo main line at launch year, and various cheaper priced side projects.

Soundwave said:
JEMC said:

Instead of focusing on the supposedly big number of games that will launch on the first year, something that I'm sure won't happen and that excuses like "there were delays" or "some were cancelled due to not meeting Nintendo quality standards" will be used, I want to know more about two points mentioned:

- To accomplish this, the entire process of how Nintendo develops and produces software has gone through radical changes.

- There is a new strategy that was put in place to create and release first party software at a faster rate.

Clearly they've hired primates and other zoo animals to assist with game development. 

Actually it's pretty much the staple of Nintendo "rumors" ... keep it vague and wishy washy enough so that you can't be pinned down on any one point. 

Here's your classic NX rumor:

"NX will be quite powerful from what I've been told. Could be more than PS4, maybe considerably so. There's a console and there's some kind of portable component, unsure if that means its sold seperately or not. Controller may have a screen or not. Console isn't traditional though. But has some traditional controls. Oh and Nintendo support is going to be amazing. Zelda yes, but expect others too. It definitely plays video games though, I'm 100% sure of that."

That is absolutely correct, and sad.

The thing is that those rumors come from unnamed sources, so there is no actual reason to believe them besides hope. But she, Emily Rogers, has a reputation (deserved or not, it's out of the question) and everything she says will be taken more seriously than whatever anonymous sources say. That's why I'm asking those questions, because people will give this rumor more validity than the others.

And a clear example is that neither in the title nor in the OP the term "rumor" is used, kind of implying that it's simply true.

Luke888 said:
JEMC said:

Well to be fair in late 2015 it was reported that all the EAD teams beside EAD 3 (the one working on Zelda) were merged in what is now called STD . This was made to improve software output...

Kagerow said:

It is simply possible that Nintendo, After the runaway success of relatively small project (If what I'm remembering is correct.) called Splatoon (Or Captain Toad), decided that they will re-organize the development structure to have 1~2 Core team and lots of small teams to experiment with new ideas, small or big.

If that is the case, I expect line up of about 1~2 full price Nintendo main line at launch year, and various cheaper priced side projects.

I'm answering your two posts together because they are similar but also present the same problems.

Fine, Nintendo has merged its studios. Will this really help? What Kagerow says is true and possible, maybe Nintendo will now make more smaller (A or B+ grade) projects and less big (AA or AAA) titles, but even with that in mind, development for a more powerful and capable console demands more work. The flaws that are deemed aceptable on Wii U won't be seen that way on a more capable device, even for smaller titles, which means that Nintendo will have to invest more money, time and workers into each title.

The question then is: Has Nintendo enough workforce to make than happen? Has Nintendo hired new/enough employees to make than possible? We simply don't know.

Oh, and let's not forget that those studios worked not only on Wii U games, but also on 3DS games, and they will keep working on both devices which we don't know (we can only speculate) if they will share all or part of the library. Because if they don't, things are now worse, not better.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

I could be wrong, but this would be Nintendo's retail software output for 2013, 2014, 2015 (3DS & Wii U combined, excluded are third party games that Nintendo happened to act as publisher for in various regions):

2013:

Game & Wario
Lego City Undercover
Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games
New Super Luigi U
Pikmin 3
Super Mario 3D World
The Wonderful 101
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
Wii Party U
Fire Emblem: Awakening
Brain Age: Concentration Training
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity
Lego City Undercover: The Chase Begins
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
Pokémon X and Y
Nintendo 3DS Guide: Louvre
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Mario Party: Island Tour

= 22 game titles

Yoshi's New Island
Kirby: Triple Deluxe
Mario Golf: World Tour
Tomodachi Life
Wagamama Fashion: Girls Mode Yokubari Sengen! Tokimeki Up! (Japan only)
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS
Pokémon Art Academy
Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire
Ultimate NES Remix
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Mario Kart 8
Wii Sports Club
Hyrule Warriors (Published by Nintendo outside Japan)
Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water (Published October 2015 outside Japan - eShop only in North America)
Bayonetta
Bayonetta 2
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
NES Remix Pack (Japan and North America only)

= 18 game titles

2015:

Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival
Art Academy: Home Studio (eShop only outside PAL regions)
Devil's Third
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
Mario Party 10
Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash
Splatoon
Super Mario Maker
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Yoshi's Woolly World
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D
Code Name: S.T.E.A.M.
Fossil Fighters: Frontier
Xenoblade Chronicles 3D (For New Nintendo 3DS only)
Puzzle & Dragons Z + Super Mario Bros. Edition (Published by Nintendo outside Japan)
Style Savvy 3 (Japan and PAL regions only)
Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer
Chibi-Robo! Zip Lash
Picross 3D 2 (Japan only)
The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes
Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon

= 21 games

This is actually probably too many games for unified platform to have and it doesn't even include some eShop releases.

If they indeed go the unified library approach, Nintendo software won't be the issue so much I doubt, Nintendo should be able to comfortably release 12-16 games/year without little to no fuss. Third party content and having third parties who are satisfied with the level of sales will be more the issue. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

I don't even want like 20+ Nintendo games a year. That's too many to buy, 15-16 Nintendo NX titles per year is more than enough and you basically get that amount by unifying platforms and reducing software redundancies (ie: no need for multiple Mario & Sonic games).

A first year lineup of say

November 16 - Legend of Zelda NX, Diddy Kong Racing NX
December 16 - Splatoon NX
Jan 17 - Advance Wars NX
Feb 17 - Pokemon spin-off
Mar 17 - Super Smash Bros. NX
Apr 17 - Mario Maker 2.0, New IP
May 17 - Pikmin 4K
June 17 - Super Mario 3D NX
July 17 - F-Zero NX
August 17 - Animal Crossing NX
September - New IP
October - Luigi's Mansion 3
November - Mario Kart 9
December - Hyrule Warriors 2

That would be a hell of a first year, but that's still only 15-16 games. If you have any more, realistically third parties have basically no shot at selling and if this is a unified platform likely at least you're going to have the Yokai Watch, Monster Hunter, and Dragon Quest devs needing some space too. 

So just one exclusive game at launch!? I really doubt about that.

JEMC said:
Luke888 said:

Well to be fair in late 2015 it was reported that all the EAD teams beside EAD 3 (the one working on Zelda) were merged in what is now called STD . This was made to improve software output...

I'm answering your two posts together because they are similar but also present the same problems.

Fine, Nintendo has merged its studios. Will this really help? What Kagerow says is true and possible, maybe Nintendo will now make more smaller (A or B+ grade) projects and less big (AA or AAA) titles, but even with that in mind, development for a more powerful and capable console demands more work. The flaws that are deemed aceptable on Wii U won't be seen that way on a more capable device, even for smaller titles, which means that Nintendo will have to invest more money, time and workers into each title.

The question then is: Has Nintendo enough workforce to make than happen? Has Nintendo hired new/enough employees to make than possible? We simply don't know.

Oh, and let's not forget that those studios worked not only on Wii U games, but also on 3DS games, and they will keep working on both devices which we don't know (we can only speculate) if they will share all or part of the library. Because if they don't, things are now worse, not better.

I was just pointing out infos about the two points that concerned you...

Luke888 said:
Airaku said:
This is actually some what believable. That being said, a lot of her predictions are quite obvious guesses. I'm pretty sure she's an attention whore that lies a lot. She posts pictures of her self and gives out her name. I'm pretty sure Nintendo would have her sued 10 times over. Unless I am really missing something here, there's no reason to believe a word she says. Most of these "leaker claims" have more credibility than her in my books.

Liam Robertson, a trustworthy source (he's the dude from Unseen64) confirmed many of the things Emily said in the past, plus they both predicted sharing some sources that Colour Splash was a thing...

Then why does Nintendo give her a free pass for leaking stuff, yet goes after anyone else? I don't even ever think I heard anything about her getting investigated by Nintendo. That's a major red flag. Especially since she's been doing this for so long.

Luke888 said:
JEMC said:

I was just pointing out infos about the two points that concerned you...

I know, but that doesn't explain how that translates into more games, which is what this rumor says.

I used your reply to further share my concerns and unknowns.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Who exactly is Emily Rogers and why is she considered the most trust worthy person in NX rumors? Does she works at Nintendo?

Nintendo and PC gamer