By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Emily Rogers made a new blog post about the NX's software output

That's the tweet where she clarifies she's talking about first party.

Around the Network
JetSetter said:
Never thought I'd see the day that you Spemanig admits to someone being more bullish than he is.

Aside from that, while this does make me excited it would put Nintendo in serious crunch mode to pump games out that fast. Maybe a combination of console and handheld integration coupled with farming out IPs to close developers?

I wouldn't pay attention normally, but she's actually credible.

I want to believe.

But I don't.

I want to.

It makes sense that after the WII ( which was success but targeted a different audience ) and the WII U ( commercial dissaster ) that if many of the rumours are true and they want to compete with the PS4 and XBox One with a powerful box, they would need to do something special to get gamers their attention.

And Nintendo games have (almost) always been something special.

Twitter @CyberMalistix

I think she is exagerating, if not just outright guessing.I mean, Nintendo needs to have a better output, specially after the terrible first year that the Wii U had, so yeah, I and we all expect the first year to be much better.Now four years worth of content into one?Not only that is unrealistic, but would also be a horrible business decision, since their own games would canabilize each other.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

spemanig said:
JetSetter said:
Never thought I'd see the day that you Spemanig admits to someone being more bullish than he is.

Aside from that, while this does make me excited it would put Nintendo in serious crunch mode to pump games out that fast. Maybe a combination of console and handheld integration coupled with farming out IPs to close developers?

I wouldn't pay attention normally, but she's actually credible.

I want to believe.

But I don't.

I want to.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

I don't even want like 20+ Nintendo games a year. That's too many to buy, 15-16 Nintendo NX titles per year is more than enough and you basically get that amount by unifying platforms and reducing software redundancies (ie: no need for multiple Mario & Sonic games).

A first year lineup of say

November 16 - Legend of Zelda NX, Diddy Kong Racing NX
December 16 - Splatoon NX
Jan 17 - Advance Wars NX
Feb 17 - Pokemon spin-off
Mar 17 - Super Smash Bros. NX
Apr 17 - Mario Maker 2.0, New IP
May 17 - Pikmin 4K
June 17 - Super Mario 3D NX
July 17 - F-Zero NX
August 17 - Animal Crossing NX
September - New IP
October - Luigi's Mansion 3
November - Mario Kart 9
December - Hyrule Warriors 2

That would be a hell of a first year, but that's still only 15-16 games. If you have any more, realistically third parties have basically no shot at selling and if this is a unified platform likely at least you're going to have the Yokai Watch, Monster Hunter, and Dragon Quest devs needing some space too. 

So let's see how many games can realistically be made in the first year of NX's lifecycle. I'll put equivalent games next to the ones released on Wii U, plus I'll only list one game funded by Nintendo made for every third party studios (i.e. Bayo 3 for Platinum Games), that's not counting portings (i.e. Smash4 NX from Banadai) and big companies such as Square, Bandai or Ubisoft. Also I'll consider when possible portings to be made from development teams outside of Nintendo since most of their portings are made by external teams such as Tanalus and Grezzo ( SMM has to be ported by Nintendo because it solely revolves on the levels saved on their servers and their older Mario games, but I'm shure such a port wouldn't take more than a couple months to be made...)

New Super Mario Bros. U Super Mario Maker Port

Nintendo Land Mii focused game at launch (pretty much confirmed)

LEGO City Undercover

Game & Wario

New Super Luigi U Super Mario Maker Port

Pikmin 3 Pikmin 4

The Wonderful 101

The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD

Wii Party U

Wii Fit U

Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games

Super Mario 3D World 3D Mario Game

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze Whatever Retro Studios is working on

Mario Kart 8 Mario Kart 9 (it should release in 2017 following the 3 year release they followed for years now...)

Wii Sports Club

Hyrule Warriors Dead or Alive : Extreme 3 Whatever Koei Tecmo can bring to NX, honestly I don't think they can do anything in 2 years...

Bayonetta* Bayonetta 3

Bayonetta 2 Bayonetta 3

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U Super Smash Bros 4 Port

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker

NES Remix Pack

Kirby & the Rainbow Curse

Mario Party 10

Splatoon Splatoon port

Super Mario Maker Super Mario Maker Port

Yoshi's Woolly World

Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water*

Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival

Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash

Xenoblade Chronicles X

Devil's Third

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD

Pokkén Tournament whatever Bandai can do for NX (I can't think of anything...)

Star Fox Zero

Star Fox Guard*

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Whatever Atlus can bring to NX

Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games

Paper Mario: Color Splash

The Legend of Zelda  Zelda U dual release

So there you have it, 23 titles are still to be filled, I have not counted what most of the internal teams at Nintendo could do excluding the 3D Mario, Mario Kart and the Nintendo Land sequel. It's to be noticed that many of the remaining titles are either portions of other titles/spin-offs related to minigames (for example Captain Toad). Moreover I don't know why LEGO City Undercover was counted and there are also a couple really bad games (Devil's Thurd, Mario Tennis, Amiibo Festival, I'm looking at you...)

Instead of focusing on the supposedly big number of games that will launch on the first year, something that I'm sure won't happen and that excuses like "there were delays" or "some were cancelled due to not meeting Nintendo quality standards" will be used, I want to know more about two points mentioned:

- To accomplish this, the entire process of how Nintendo develops and produces software has gone through radical changes.

- There is a new strategy that was put in place to create and release first party software at a faster rate.

What does this mean? How will Nintendo do this?

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:

Instead of focusing on the supposedly big number of games that will launch on the first year, something that I'm sure won't happen and that excuses like "there were delays" or "some were cancelled due to not meeting Nintendo quality standards" will be used, I want to know more about two points mentioned:

- To accomplish this, the entire process of how Nintendo develops and produces software has gone through radical changes.

- There is a new strategy that was put in place to create and release first party software at a faster rate.

Clearly they've hired primates and other zoo animals to assist with game development. 

Actually it's pretty much the staple of Nintendo "rumors" ... keep it vague and wishy washy enough so that you can't be pinned down on any one point. 

Here's your classic NX rumor:

"NX will be quite powerful from what I've been told. Could be more than PS4, maybe considerably so. There's a console and there's some kind of portable component, unsure if that means its sold seperately or not. Controller may have a screen or not. Console isn't traditional though. But has some traditional controls. Oh and Nintendo support is going to be amazing. Zelda yes, but expect others too. It definitely plays video games though, I'm 100% sure of that."

JEMC said:

Well to be fair in late 2015 it was reported that all the EAD teams beside EAD 3 (the one working on Zelda) were merged in what is now called STD . This was made to improve software output...