By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Can The Legend of Zelda: (U/NX) Sell Close to 10mil Lifetime? (or More)

Miyamotoo said:
curl-6 said:

I never said it can't build some hype between now and launch, but sadly it'll never be as well hyped as it could have been, because for maximum impact they would have had to maintain the hype train from reveal to release, and they dropped the ball there. 

Maybe we could have some better hype before launch if there were no silence last year and half, but Zelda U hype in any case will be huge before launch, and IMO difference wouldn't be big especially if actually with NX revile and Zelda U running on NX they could make even bigger hype.

If they play their cards right from here on out they can still achieve a decent level of hype, yeah, just not as much as if they'd maintained the pace they had in 2014, with new material coming every 6 months or so. That was a really good pace they had going back then, enough to build excitement while still keeping people in anticipation. It's all about the balance and pacing.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Miyamotoo said:

Maybe we could have some better hype before launch if there were no silence last year and half, but Zelda U hype in any case will be huge before launch, and IMO difference wouldn't be big especially if actually with NX revile and Zelda U running on NX they could make even bigger hype.

If they play their cards right from here on out they can still achieve a decent level of hype, yeah, just not as much as if they'd maintained the pace they had in 2014, with new material coming every 6 months or so. That was a really good pace they had going back then, enough to build excitement while still keeping people in anticipation. It's all about the balance and pacing.

In every way there will be huge hype for Zelda U at E3 and before launch.

Miyamotoo said:
curl-6 said:

That really depends. It will need a bigger marketing push than almost any prior Wii U game. It will need to be featured in media channels that reach beyond the established fanbase, so not just Directs and E3, but cinemas, sports games, prime time television, billboards, etc. But more importantly, the product itself will have to be something that can capture the imagination of today's mainstream gaming population and appeals to a broad audience, not just to Nintendo fans.

None of this is a foregone conclusion.

curl-6 said:
Miyamotoo said:

That really depends. It will need a bigger marketing push than almost any prior Wii U game. It will need to be featured in media channels that reach beyond the established fanbase, so not just Directs and E3, but cinemas, sports games, prime time television, billboards, etc. But more importantly, the product itself will have to be something that can capture the imagination of today's mainstream gaming population and appeals to a broad audience, not just to Nintendo fans.

None of this is a foregone conclusion.

Lol, you saying Zelda need to have marketing push like Destiny, of course that don't need to have marketing of that scope, but of course that needs and will have strong marketing. Nintendo always have strong and great marketing for 3D Zelda games, and especially now when Zelda U will be one of most important launch titles for brand new platform.

Teeqoz said:
bigtakilla said:

The way the title is worded with wii u and nx in parenthesis it indicates a title place holder, not specific systems to look at.

And no, the OoT series in the database is the OoT series. It would be like saying The Last Of Us only sold around 5 mil, which it didn't.

Speaking of TLOU, VGC numbers are wrong for the PS3 version, Sony confirmed it was over 7 million on PS3 alone

Good....

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
bigtakilla said:

And Uncharted 4 will sell over half of what Fallout did while only being on one platform. 

You can't really know that and F4 sold on PS4 much better than any PS4 exclusive game, also PS4 is buy far strongest platform, F4 on PS4 sold much better than XB1/PC combine.

And you don't think Uncharted will beat F4 PS4? 

Depends, it has to be the best Zelda yet to have a chance.

As for anyone saying that Zelda can't do it... think about oot? That game came out on the fucking Nintendo 64 and sold 7 million. Skyward Sword released on the Wii and sold a measly 4 million.

Console sales =/ Zelda sales

It all depends on the quality of the game.

I'm 100% sure that Aonuma can't make the best Zelda game ever made but who knows? Maybe this is the time he nails it.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Anfebious said:

As for anyone saying that Zelda can't do it... think about oot? That game came out on the fucking Nintendo 64 and sold 7 million. Skyward Sword released on the Wii and sold a measly 4 million.

I'm 100% sure that Aonuma can't make the best Zelda game ever made but who knows? Maybe this is the time he nails it.

If  there were tons of consoles I'd agree with you, but we're talking about 13 mil, and will the game sell 10 mil. Even if we are to assume an NX port, as said, even the most successful console launches only sell around 12 mil first year (the real time for Zelda launch title to shine). 

So in one instance, we would have to assume 10 million out of 13 million console owners will buy Zelda U. In the other instance we will HAVE to assume that the NX is going to be the best selling console of all time. Or the last instance we would have to assume that Zelda U would have record breaking attatch rate, and not by a bit, I'm talking some real unprecedented attatch rate that of which has never been done before and would likely never happen after.

bigtakilla said:
Anfebious said:

If  there were tons of consoles I'd agree with you, but we're talking about 13 mil, and will the game sell 10 mil. Even if we are to assume an NX port, as said, even the most successful console launches only sell around 12 mil first year (the real time for Zelda launch title to shine). 

So in one instance, we would have to assume 10 million out of 13 million console owners will buy Zelda U. In the other instance we will HAVE to assume that the NX is going to be the best selling console of all time. Or the last instance we would have to assume that Zelda U would have record breaking attatch rate, and not by a bit, I'm talking some real unprecedented attatch rate that of which has never been done before and would likely never happen after.

I'm "assuming" that there is going to be an NX port (there is going to be an NX port). If it's Wii U only then yes, you could say it's impossible.

At bolded: Why do you HAVE to assume that? I already told you console sales =/ Zelda sales. Assuming that the NX sells a modest amount of consoles this Zelda game can get to 10 million in all it's lifetime if  you combine U/NX.

Ocarina of Time sold 7.60 million copies on a console that barely went through the 30M mark.

As I said it all depends on the quality of the game.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Anfebious said:
bigtakilla said:

I'm "assuming" that there is going to be an NX port (there is going to be an NX port). If it's Wii U only then yes, you could say it's impossible.

At bolded: Why do you HAVE to assume that? I already told you console sales =/ Zelda sales. Assuming that the NX sells a modest amount of consoles this Zelda game can get to 10 million in all it's lifetime if  you combine U/NX.

Ocarina of Time sold 7.60 million copies on a console that barely went through the 30M mark.

As I said it all depends on the quality of the game.

And I'm saying Wii U and NX won't even reach a 30 million mark for YEARS. even with decent sales. PS4 took 2+years to achieve this.