By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - 'Captain America: Civil War' Review Thread - 90% RT/75 MC score - WW BO = $991.0M/DOM = $314.2M

crissindahouse said:
Lawlight said:

Thank you for proving my point - several cases of reviewers' RT being higher than the audience who should be much more forgiving.

And the very fact that 75% of reviewers recommended Iron Man 3 says it. Critics should be much more critical and less forgiving than the general audience. But that's not the case here.

Which is the case for some movies of every movie studio?  Just look up at Warner, you will find "several cases of reviewers' RT being higher than the audience who should be much more forgiving"

And Iron Man 3 with 75% doesn't say anything, just that critics liked it more than you did on average. But since you can't believe it it has to be rigged, right? In no way could critics simply say "well, not a really great movie but still worth to watch it"

There is no way that many critics can recommend Iron Man 2 or3 without some external push. Some movies are just bad. When critics are being invited to premieres, odds are that they will want to be re-invited again and will give movies a good score. This is too much like game journalism.

Around the Network
Pavolink said:
Meh, another overrated fest of explosions and bad writting. What a surprise.

anyone who tries to stereotype all MCU movies under this banner should probably study up on their movies

I am Iron Man

Lawlight said:
crissindahouse said:

Which is the case for some movies of every movie studio?  Just look up at Warner, you will find "several cases of reviewers' RT being higher than the audience who should be much more forgiving"

And Iron Man 3 with 75% doesn't say anything, just that critics liked it more than you did on average. But since you can't believe it it has to be rigged, right? In no way could critics simply say "well, not a really great movie but still worth to watch it"

There is no way that many critics can recommend Iron Man 2 or3 without some external push. Some movies are just bad. When critics are being invited to premieres, odds are that they will want to be re-invited again and will give movies a good score. This is too much like game journalism.

Iron Man 2 is worse than 3 or 1 but it's not a terrible movie.  Still has some fun quips and action.  It's what a 7/10 movie is.  I'd say they're all ranked pretty fairly on the MCU side.  BvS and MoS should both be about 5/10 imo

I am Iron Man

Robert_Downey_Jr. said:

anyone who tries to stereotype all MCU movies under this banner should probably study up on their movies

Yep, I agree, there's more than meets the eye. The last 4 MCU movies for example are nothing alike. We have a space-opera (GotG), a comedy (Ant-man), Winter Soldier has clear influences of a spionage thriller... I think there are variety enough to keep the MCU really fresh. 

Oh, and the shows. Daredevil or Jessica Jones are darker and deal with other topics different than the movies.

Robert_Downey_Jr. said:
Lawlight said:

Iron Man 2 is worse than 3 or 1 but it's not a terrible movie.  Still has some fun quips and action.  It's what a 7/10 movie is.  I'd say they're all ranked pretty fairly on the MCU side.  BvS and MoS should both be about 5/10 imo

It is a terrible movie - it's a 3/10 movie for me- by that a movie that I tried several times to watch but couldt because it's too bad. Even though I gave MoS a 4/10 dur to how Superman was portrayed, it is a 6/10 movie at worst since I watched it a couple of times since I saw it at the cinema. 

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
crissindahouse said:

I thought Iron Man 2 was decent and Iron Man 3 was great.  I must have been bought off, right? I mean, the only real 'problem' with Iron Man 3 was that the Mandarin wasn't the Mandarin, but what was actually going on made more sense as far as the movie was concerned.  Iron Man 2 wasn't that deep or engaging, but it was still leagues ahead of "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice".  Now THAT was an atrocity.  

And no matter where you go, people loved The Winter Soldier, both critics and audiences alike.  They were good movies.  (Iron Man 3 and Winter Soldier) 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Runa216 said:
Lawlight said:

I thought Iron Man 2 was decent and Iron Man 3 was great.  I must have been bought off, right? I mean, the only real 'problem' with Iron Man 3 was that the Mandarin wasn't the Mandarin, but what was actually going on made more sense as far as the movie was concerned.  Iron Man 2 wasn't that deep or engaging, but it was still leagues ahead of "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice".  Now THAT was an atrocity.  

And no matter where you go, people loved The Winter Soldier, both critics and audiences alike.  They were good movies.  (Iron Man 3 and Winter Soldier) 

I think The Mandarin was the only good thing about Iron Man 3. People also love Transformers so might be the same crowd.

If people like shaky cam fights then they might like The Winter Soldier.

Lawlight said:
crissindahouse said:

It's also a great surprise that Superman Returns, a movie even the "so forgiving audience" doesn't really like much did get so good scores from the critcis but well, I guess that isn't a "bought score", that is just a different and fair opinion by critics...

Critics like Iron Man 2/3 just more than you do, pretty simple. And man, a Meta of 57 for Iron Man 2 doesn't even really look that great.

Maybe Mad Max: Fury Road is bought. I mean, critics and the audience like it but critics liked it much more, this is not possible in a fair world.

Or Godzilla or...

Lawlight said:

I think The Mandarin was the only good thing about Iron Man 3. People also love Transformers so might be the same crowd.

If people like shaky cam fights then they might like The Winter Soldier.

TWS is way more than shaky cam fights... 

Robert_Downey_Jr. said:
Pavolink said:
Meh, another overrated fest of explosions and bad writting. What a surprise.

Ah, is the truth hurting some feelings?

Mission accomplished.

And no, I'm not talking about MCU, I'm talking about Hollywood. Does that feel worse? Because it's still truth.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile