By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Ratchet and Clank PS4 analysis (DigitalFoundry)

spemanig said:
The game should be running at 60fps. No excuse.

The game would still look great at 60fps, especially if they just lowered the resolution to 720p so they could keep most of the effects and visuals any. But of course Insomniac wants to pretend that the PS4 is a powerhouse when it isn't by slapping a meaningless 1080 number onto it. They'd rather have a game that played worse and looked virtually the same than have a game that looked a smudge blurrier, but played the way a game is supposed to.

Or, as was mentioned in the video,  the team has publicly stated some time ago (before sunset overdrive) that they would be targeting 30 fps for all future projects to push visuals.

Around the Network
binary solo said:
IMO for single player I prefer 1080p over 60fps. for multiplayer I think sacrificing res to achieve 60fps is the better choice. Since R7C is SP only then 30fps to achieve 1080p was the right call.

After playing nothing but Metal Gear Solid for literally weeks, I definitely think I started to succumb to the same kind of effect that have more than a few PC gamers turning up their nose about 30 frames per second, as when I got back into the Witcher 3- which I'd played for many days before MGS5 with no issues- all the movements and animations just felt really... JANKY. o_o

But what bugged me about it was I realized that Metal Gear Solid 5 being at 60fps just didn't really make much of an impact on me; i.e., as someone coming from mostly 30fps games, I wasn't seeing this 60fps title and thinking 'Oh God... movements... SO SMOOTH. It's so BEAUTIFUL. T_T ' I didn't feel like I was any more proficient as the pew-pew sneak-sneak than I've ever been, there was no increased sense of immersion, I honestly just completely forgot the game even ran at 60fps. Literally the only significant consequence of playing MGS5 at 60fps was how jarring it was to get back into the Witcher 3, which just left me feeling kind of cheated.  =P It felt like, by playing a 60 frames per second title for such an extended period of time, I hadn't made my overall experience 'better...' I just made my experience with titles that ran of 30fps worse. 

Bright side is it didn't last; after a couple of days playing the Witcher 3 my brain seemed to readjust. =P I even went back to play Metal Gear Solid V for a few brief sessions, but even though- now that I was specifically looking for it- I certainly saw the difference, again, I still can't say it made my experience 'better.'

Still, I'd imagine that for multiplayer titles, and perhaps twitch shooters, it's probably a different matter. I was always pretty slow and methodical during MGS5. xP

Zanten, Doer Of The Things

Unless He Forgets In Which Case Zanten, Forgetter Of The Things

Or He Procrascinates, In Which Case Zanten, Doer Of The Things Later

Or It Involves Moving Furniture, in Which Case Zanten, F*** You.

thismeintiel said:
Lawlight said:

There hasn't been a 60fps R&C game in7 years. I think people will be fine.

And only the remasters of GOW run at 60fps.  The original games didn't.

Well they had unlocked frame rates and occasionally hit 60 fps.

There is a big difference between an unlocked frame rate that averages somewhere at 40-50 vs locking it to 30 fps.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Zanten said:
binary solo said:
IMO for single player I prefer 1080p over 60fps. for multiplayer I think sacrificing res to achieve 60fps is the better choice. Since R7C is SP only then 30fps to achieve 1080p was the right call.

After playing nothing but Metal Gear Solid for literally weeks, I definitely think I started to succumb to the same kind of effect that have more than a few PC gamers turning up their nose about 30 frames per second, as when I got back into the Witcher 3- which I'd played for many days before MGS5 with no issues- all the movements and animations just felt really... JANKY. o_o

But what bugged me about it was I realized that Metal Gear Solid 5 being at 60fps just didn't really make much of an impact on me; i.e., as someone coming from mostly 30fps games, I wasn't seeing this 60fps title and thinking 'Oh God... movements... SO SMOOTH. It's so BEAUTIFUL. T_T ' I didn't feel like I was any more proficient as the pew-pew sneak-sneak than I've ever been, there was no increased sense of immersion, I honestly just completely forgot the game even ran at 60fps. Literally the only significant consequence of playing MGS5 at 60fps was how jarring it was to get back into the Witcher 3, which just left me feeling kind of cheated.  =P It felt like, by playing a 60 frames per second title for such an extended period of time, I hadn't made my overall experience 'better...' I just made my experience with titles that ran of 30fps worse. 

Bright side is it didn't last; after a couple of days playing the Witcher 3 my brain seemed to readjust. =P I even went back to play Metal Gear Solid V for a few brief sessions, but even though- now that I was specifically looking for it- I certainly saw the difference, again, I still can't say it made my experience 'better.'

Still, I'd imagine that for multiplayer titles, and perhaps twitch shooters, it's probably a different matter. I was always pretty slow and methodical during MGS5. xP

Interesting. I never really notice frame rate difference from the perspective of onscreen action. However playing an online multiplayer game that can mean the difference between life and death in just a few frames 30fps is very different to 60fps, partly because it simply adds to the lag when added to ping. Controller vs keyboard aside it's one reason multiplatform MP between console and PC at a very high level puts console at a disadvantage. In theory consoles can implement KB+M controls for any game, so that can be overcome. But the top level PC players are playing at 144fps, which gives an advantage over 60fps, and the best we can hope to achieve on console is 60fps. When the professional competitive players are making milisecond reactions 144fps is important to them. They complain when their game craps out and only runs at 60fps. I totally lack that level of skill and my reaction time is so slow that as long as the fps is constant it doesn't matter too much. 

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Paatar said:

R&C -smooth 30 FPS for the most parts, subtle dipping, no one gives a shit
Star Fox Zero - smooth 60FPS for most parts on TWO screens with some dipping down to 50FPS and sometimes even a whole 40!!! Omg so bad lets riot and tell Nintendo to get their shit together

More proof of Nintendo getting hate because it's Nintendo.

I haven't seen the video to know how much R&C drops from 30 when it does drop. But a 60 to 40 drop is huge, and noticeable and makes a game stutter. That's a 33% drop in framerate which is bad. If R&C drops to 20 (also a 33% drop) then that's almost as bad, but because its only a 10fps drop it's probably marginly less jarring. But if R&C drops to no less than 25fps then that's barely noticeable your point is totally moot. 

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network

Finally got my copy, can't wait to play this later tonight.

Nintendo Switch FC: SW-6340-7643-4233 aka Renji

Steam: Lee Roid

Rock solid 30 fps like in Driveclub is just fine for me. There was no responsiveness issues in the Driveclub, so I was a bit surpriosed about the comment on R&C not being as "tight" ss earlier versions. Anyway this is day 1 for me.

One of the PlayStation series that I somehow just didn't get to the past few gens. I wonder if now would be a good time to start?

Xeon said:
One of the PlayStation series that I somehow just didn't get to the past few gens. I wonder if now would be a good time to start?

I don't think there's ever gonna be a better time than now.  You literally don't need to know anything about the series before playing this game.

Yeah, you're right.  I'll definitely check it out down the road.