By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Ratchet and Clank PS4 analysis (DigitalFoundry)

Lawlight said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Well its a series people were accustomed to play at 60 fps, so the frame drop sucks. I mean people wouldn't be happy if the next God of War was gonna be locked at 30 fps.

I haven't played the series much so I'm not complaining personally.

There hasn't been a 60fps R&C game in7 years. I think people will be fine.

Well the PS3 remaster wasn't 7 years ago and not really valid argument.

Either way, I understand the disappointment. People should just wait for the remaster if the framrerate is a big issue for them.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
HoloDust said:

I don't think they would go with 60fps, no matter how much GPU juice you give them, they would still go with 30fps and better visuals (game looks great, but let's be realistic, that's not Pixar level, let alone ILM with Rango). It's simply design decision, just like, let's say, Zelda@30fps is design decision.

I know it's a design decision. A bad one. Zelda is a seamless, massively open world game on 7th generation-level hardware. It's trading off framerate for a larger more seamless world, something that directly, tangibly, and possitively effects gameplay. It's also already made sacrifices to the aliasing, resolution, and texture quality, is cel-shaded, and uses other means of lowering visial fidelity to achieve this, so there's not much else they could do to the game without making it literally not function. I can respect that design decision, as their hands were tied on that one and they made sacrifices in all areas technically possible to make it work.

If R&C was an open world game on 7th generation-level hardware, I'd be forgiving of 30fps for it too. But it's not. If Zelda isn't 60fps when it's ported to NX, I will be just as critical, because it won't have the alibi on stronger hardware that it currently has on its weaker hardware. PS4 and XBO both ran MGSV at 60fps in an open world. NX should be doing it too with Zelda.

spemanig said:
HoloDust said:

I don't think they would go with 60fps, no matter how much GPU juice you give them, they would still go with 30fps and better visuals (game looks great, but let's be realistic, that's not Pixar level, let alone ILM with Rango). It's simply design decision, just like, let's say, Zelda@30fps is design decision.

I know it's a design decision. A bad one. Zelda is a seamless, massively open world game on 7th generation-level hardware. It's trading off framerate for a larger more seamless world, something that directly, tangibly, and possitively effects gameplay. It's also already made sacrifices to the aliasing, resolution, and texture quality, is cel-shaded, and uses other means of lowering visial fidelity to achieve this, so there's not much else they could do to the game without making it literally not function. I can respect that design decision, as their hands were tied on that one and they made sacrifices in all areas technically possible to make it work.

If R&C was an open world game on 7th generation-level hardware, I'd be forgiving of 30fps for it too. But it's not. If Zelda isn't 60fps when it's ported to NX, I will be just as critical, because it won't have the alibi on stronger hardware that it currently has on its weaker hardware. PS4 and XBO both ran MGSV at 60fps in an open world. NX should be doing it too with Zelda.

It really doesn't affect gameplay. The only ones that seem to vocally care don't have a ps4 or weren't going to buy the game in the first place, but I can tell you right now that the core users that grew up on this franchise clearly don't seem to mind. And in an offline game where 60fps offers no performance edge, it makes total sense that insomniac would prioritize full HD fidelity as opposed to the twitchy hyper reactive controls that 60fps brings. There is -no- benefit to an offline game where controls were never an issue in the first place. I would rather take the Pixar like visuals any day, the key thing here is that it's 30fps CONSISTENTLY.

edit- and there's been a demo available at Best Buy for a while now. I played it and the frames per second never even crossed my mind, the game felt great

double edit (I've stated this in another thread)

charm>consistency>resolution>fps for single player games.

spemanig said:
HoloDust said:

MGSV also had a budget MUCH higher than this AA-at-best game. The movie AND game combined had a $40m budget, which is tiny for either medium - and MGSV alone probably reaches around five times that amount. 

A game is only as powerful as its budget dictates, and Insomniac has lived off of small budget games its entire career. 

Stop being argumentative and arguing good or bad in a subject that doesn't have black and white. You know better than to hyperbolize. If this developer, who has made successful low budget games for 20 years, can do so better at 30FPS, then who is somebody on the web to dictate it's a bad decision? Come on. 

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

aLkaLiNE said:

It really doesn't affect gameplay. The only ones that seem to vocally care don't have a ps4 or weren't going to buy the game in the first place, but I can tell you right now that the core users that grew up on this franchise clearly don't seem to mind. And in an offline game where 60fps offers no performance edge, it makes total sense that insomniac would prioritize full HD fidelity as opposed to the twitchy hyper reactive controls that 60fps brings. There is -no- benefit to an offline game where controls were never an issue in the first place. I would rather take the Pixar like visuals any day, the key thing here is that it's 30fps CONSISTENTLY.

edit- and there's been a demo available at Best Buy for a while now. I played it and the frames per second never even crossed my mind, the game felt great

double edit (I've stated this in another thread)

charm>consistency>resolution>fps for single player games.

DivinePaladin said:

MGSV also had a budget MUCH higher than this AA-at-best game. The movie AND game combined had a $40m budget, which is tiny for either medium - and MGSV alone probably reaches around five times that amount. 

A game is only as powerful as its budget dictates, and Insomniac has lived off of small budget games its entire career. 

Stop being argumentative and arguing good or bad in a subject that doesn't have black and white. You know better than to hyperbolize. If this developer, who has made successful low budget games for 20 years, can do so better at 30FPS, then who is somebody on the web to dictate it's a bad decision? Come on. 

Honestly, while I'd love to continue this, I'm not comfortable risking moderation when my first post here was reported. I'm not trying to be a trouble-maker. Adios!

Around the Network

We're on uncharted 3 then I'm Going to get this.

IMO for single player I prefer 1080p over 60fps. for multiplayer I think sacrificing res to achieve 60fps is the better choice. Since R7C is SP only then 30fps to achieve 1080p was the right call.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

CGI-Quality said:

If it makes you feel any better, moderation was the furthest thing from my mind. :)

Thank you. It does. :)

But I think I'll step away anyway. Contrary to how my behavior here may lead people to believe, being argumentative actually stresses me out, so it's good to step away sometimes, lol.

I must live in a different world than you, but lowering the resolution does not magically affect the frame rate... Chances are it would run at 60+ fps when nothing is going on, then when the action picks up, it could drop all the way to 30ish fps, you really can't tell until you tried a specific game on the specific hardware... Now, if I was in charge I would have kept the 1080p, the ps4 has way too much fill rate for the resolution to be an issue... But cut everything else until your game runs at 60fps please!

Lawlight said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Well its a series people were accustomed to play at 60 fps, so the frame drop sucks. I mean people wouldn't be happy if the next God of War was gonna be locked at 30 fps.

I haven't played the series much so I'm not complaining personally.

There hasn't been a 60fps R&C game in7 years. I think people will be fine.

And only the remasters of GOW run at 60fps.  The original games didn't.