By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - BioWare Founder on PS4/Xbox One Upgrades: It'd Be a "Gigantic Pain in the Ass"

SvennoJ said:Or what? Mr Puggsly will come over to knock some sense into them? :)

You're creating a scenario where there is zero benefit for developers to use the new specs. The past has shown that Nintendo had to force the memory pack and now the N3DS with exclusive games to get the ball rolling. Why would that be different now?

It simply is not a profitable venture to keep the price the same and add a new hardware spec. What will make more profit is a smauser design, smaller fan, smaller psu, built in VR port and audio processing to eventually be bundled with the VR headset and get that price down to something sensible.

Alright, I made my points and you made yours. Give it a rest.

One last time and dont drag this on, if its EASY to utilize developers would take advantage of superior specs.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
potato_hamster said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I've used New 3DS as an example that it can be done. Lets be honest, the New 3DS audience doesn't really care about graphics and performance as much the 8th gen console gamers. So there is less incentive to use New 3DS specs. Nintendo and Capcom are the few developers that push 3DS specs. While many developers push X1 and PS4 specs.

Not all developers have to use the new specs, but I'm sure many would. Especially if it could be done simply. Many don't know but a lot of games used the N64 expansion likely because it was easy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_64_accessories#Expansion_Pak

Frankly, its possible instead of doing a price cut they could instead put a considerably more powerful CPU and/or GPU in newer models. As long as the new specs are there and easy for developers to use them, they will be used. At the very least it would be interesting experiment.

An interesting experiment? The experiment has been done many times. Every single time it's failed.

Nonsense. The New 3DS is an example that it can be done, and also a huge example that it shouldn't be done. You also cite the N64 expansion pak, that was released in 1998, and afterwich a very small fraction of games released for the N64 actually supported this memory expansion. This is again a very good example of why it shouldn't be done. Further examples include the Sega CD and 32X. Both were also big failures. Also note, the improved processing power of the PSP over it's liife with each hardware revision, something Sony learned from with the Vita and didn't once try to improve. The extra processing power simply wasn't being used. Every time the vast majority of developers ignored the improved specs and just developed for the lowest common denominator.

History has shown time and time and time again that any efforts to improve console specs mid-cycle is a waste of time and money. Only a small fraction of consumers end up supporting it, and a even smaller fraction of developers even attempt to take advantage of it. There is no reason to expect this time to be any different. If you think somehow the technology to make such modifications easier for game developer look at the disaster than is the Unified Windows Platform and how PC ports of UWP games are a complete mess at launch. If MS can't figure out how to make it easy to port a X1 game to a PC what makes you think they can come up with an easy way to adapt engines to support multiple hardware specifications, and most importantly, not increase the cost of QA work. Game development is more expensive than ever and hardware is more complicated than ever. There's even less incentive to supoort multiple hardware configurations than ever before, especially when there is absolutely zero indication that if developer do support the improved hardware that it will lead to greater sales.

Here's what many people fail to understand. Three years in, the PS2 had only sold around 50 million units worldwide, but due to price cuts, the PS2 sold an additional 105 million units on its way to becoming the highest selling console of all time. The key to keeping up a consoles momentum and selling high volumes of units is via price cuts. This of course is also where hardware developers make the vast majority of their money. The hardware is cheaper for consumers because it is cheaper to produce and with it comes a higher profit margin. Year 3-6 is where most console developers make the vast majority of their money off of console sales. You're expecting them to throw that away, hit a reset on the generation half way through, and replace the most profitable years of a console's life with a more expensive, lower margin console that will cost more to market, more to design and manufacture, and more to support. For what exactly? How does this idea actually make Sony or Microsoft more money than they would putting out smaller, cheaper to make PS4s or X1s at $200 or $250 this fall?

THANK YOU!!!!! Agreed 150%. Also bringing up the N64 expansion pack is not comparable to this considering that was a $40 add on to the existing console and many games did not support it.

Mr Puggsly said:

One last time and dont drag this on, if its EASY to utilize developers would take advantage of superior specs.

Agreed, we made plenty points already.

However I don't think it will be all that easy (the extra fine tuning and QA efforts alone) and even when it is easy devs don't seem to take advantage.
Look up hacks to make 3ds games run faster on n3ds, why don't developers do it.
Modders added 60fps to Dark Souls on PC, didn't seem that difficult. NFS Hot pursuit, same thing on PC.
It seems parity, ie one version to maintain, is more on their mind than making the superior hardware shine.

Anyway I would like to see a new generation in 2019 or 2020 instead of a transistion to the mobile phone business model.

SvennoJ said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Agreed, we made plenty points already.

However I don't think it will be all that easy (the extra fine tuning and QA efforts alone) and even when it is easy devs don't seem to take advantage.
Look up hacks to make 3ds games run faster on n3ds, why don't developers do it.
Modders added 60fps to Dark Souls on PC, didn't seem that difficult. NFS Hot pursuit, same thing on PC.
It seems parity, ie one version to maintain, is more on their mind than making the superior hardware shine.

Anyway I would like to see a new generation in 2019 or 2020 instead of a transistion to the mobile phone business model.

Well if people are making mods to take advantage New 3DS then I guess its relatively easy to take advantage of superior specs.

Nobody is asking for a new console every year or two. Thats a terrible comparison and you know that.

A real issue would be developers might spend less resoueces optimizing games for original 8th gen hardware. Given they could still get significantly better results on updated specs with less effort. So the work load could balance out that way but that sucks for people that dont buy upgraded consoles.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

potato_hamster said:An interesting experiment? The experiment has been done many times. Every single time it's failed.

Its been done many times? No.

Its never been done in the way I feel it should happen with 8th gen consoles.

I dont know if New 3DS has been a failure.

Recently Completed

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
potato_hamster said:An interesting experiment? The experiment has been done many times. Every single time it's failed.

Its been done many times? No.

Its never been done in the way I feel it should happen with 8th gen consoles.

I dont know if New 3DS has been a failure.

It has been done many times. I listed them off the top of my head. The N64 Expansion pak. The PSP with improved specs with every hardware revision. The DS/DSi. The new 3DS. There are probably more that I'm not thinking of. All of these have been commerical failures, or at very least the vast majority of game developers for that platform have ignored the additonal processing power. Of the developers that do, the majority of them are first or second party titles.

It has been demonstrated repeatedly that this incremental hardware model is a waste of time and money. Developers have no reason to support the increased specs, and consumers see no reason to upgrade since these specs aren't being utilized. It has happened every single time a console maker has tried it., and there is no reason to think that making the most expensive attempt at this model ever is going to succeed where the others have failed.

You don't know if the new 3DS has been a failure? Well if you look at year-to-year sales numbers for the 3DS, when the new 3DS was launch, sales picked up for the first two months that followed, and the immediately picked up the downwards trend it was continuing on before. It looks like the launch of new 3DS got Nintendo an additonal 500K-1M in sales world-wide. That's it. At those numbers, Nintendo likely took a loss when accounting for the R+D to develop the new hardware. So most people would call that a failure in the sense that it did next to nothing to increase hardware sales.

TheGoldenBoy said:
Ruler said:

I dont see the big deal, there are still to this day a lot of Japanese devolopers who devolope a single game for PS4, PS3, PSvita and PC simultaneously. And these games dont even sell a lot of units or are only localized in Japan or partley localized in the West.

Bioware is just greedy, they want to make as much money as possible with the most laziest effort. I smell another Fallout 4 in visuals by Bioware

Fallout 4 is developed by Bethesda Game Studios and not Bioware (owned by EA). How can Bioware produce "another" Fallout 4 in visuals when they haven't done so this generation? Their only game so far has been Dragon Age: Inquisition, which was cross-gen, and that looked perfectly fine at the time of its release.

*but made by Bioware

DivinePaladin said:
vivster said:

I guess that's why all that business around PC and Steam totally failed. Valve must feel so stupid right now. Same goes of course for that other failed project called "mobile gaming". I hope mobile and PC developers have enough 100 dollar bills to ease all the harm that was done to them.

But let's just pretend consoles are the only thing that exists or matters in the gaming industry.

How original. If you're going to condescend do it decently at least. Look at all those casual console gamers that TOTALLY dove into steambox, right? PC Gamers are a different crowd of gamer, the hefty majority of the market wants a plug and play experience, not something where they have to worry about having the right specs or a specific subconsole. 

Steambox was a failed project from the start because it never had any target audience.

What I am saying however is that you do not hear PC or mobile developers complain about having to develop for more than one single set of hardware. I mean those poor souls must be furious to do the impossible task of developing for an everchanging platform. And after all that hassle they don't even make any money because of the split audience on so many different devices.

Yeah no. All that complaining about different specs and having to develop for different hardware specs just makes them seem ridiculous. Just imagine if they already had to develop for 2 completely different platforms with completely different environments and platform owners. Oh wait, they already do...

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
DivinePaladin said:

How original. If you're going to condescend do it decently at least. Look at all those casual console gamers that TOTALLY dove into steambox, right? PC Gamers are a different crowd of gamer, the hefty majority of the market wants a plug and play experience, not something where they have to worry about having the right specs or a specific subconsole. 

Steambox was a failed project from the start because it never had any target audience.

What I am saying however is that you do not hear PC or mobile developers complain about having to develop for more than one single set of hardware. I mean those poor souls must be furious to do the impossible task of developing for an everchanging platform. And after all that hassle they don't even make any money because of the split audience on so many different devices.

Yeah no. All that complaining about different specs and having to develop for different hardware specs just makes them seem ridiculous. Just imagine if they already had to develop for 2 completely different platforms with completely different environments and platform owners. Oh wait, they already do...

The steambox was a failure because it's actually the worst of both worlds and appeals to pretty much no one. However that also applies to PS4/X1 upgrades but you just haven't figured that out yet.

Hey, care to let me know if iPhone developers are required to support older models of iPhones? Right, they're not. They can develop specifically for the iPhone 6S if they wanted to and make the game incmopatible with previous platforms. Or they could develop a game just for the iPad Air, or just for the iPad pro if they choose. And do you know what they do if they don't test their game on a particular iPhone model and they just assume it works, but when the game hits it turns out it's unplayable? They just cross that model off of their compatibility list and move on. See what I'm getting at here? That's a bit of a different scenario then, isn't it? They can raise the minimum spec of their game to just support the hardware which already runs a game well rather than putting in the effort to optimize it. Imagine going into a gamestop and having to look up whether or not the latest PS4 game was compatible with your version of the PS4 before you bought it. I'm sure such a scenario would have would-be console buyers just throwing their money at Sony!

On top of that, iPhone games aren't known for their stellar graphics, or advanced AI, or being the leading edge of gaming in any way, are they? That's because iPhone games aren't optimized for specific hardware specifications, which is one of the biggest advantages of console development. This means that making iPhone games is actually more akin to making PC games than console games. This is actually the same argument as the "PC games support millions of different hardware specs, why can't console games?" argument, except scaled down slightly, but the same negatives to this style of development still apply.

So again, you not understanding why developers would complain is because you lack a fundamental understanding of how console video games are made. Sure they could develop console games the way PC and iPhone games are developed, but they'd be incredibly unoptimized compared to how they are now, and they would still be more expensive to develop for since the QA work would still be increased linearly for every additional specification, and QA is already a significant portion of console development. Console games would look worse, and run worse, and would be less complex than they are now. That is, unless you expect console video game developers to put in the additional efforts of rewriting engines, and eat all of the other additional costs of supporting a new hardware specifcation when there would quite literally be no expectation that any of that effort would lead to additional sales.

Why are people having such a hard time grasping that console video game developers actually stand to lose from supporting this concept?

potato_hamster said:

It has been done many times. I listed them off the top of my head. The N64 Expansion pak. The PSP with improved specs with every hardware revision. The DS/DSi.failurew 3DS. There are probably more that I'm not thinking of. All of these have been commerical failures, or at very least the vast majority of game developers for that platform have ignored the additonal processing power. Of the developers that do, the majority of them are first or second party titles.

I dont think the N64 expansion pack was a failure at all and it added value to numerous games via extra features like 4 player modes. Since it was a relatively cheap upgrade it also was used to create games with more potential than the original hardware.

The PSP improved specs werent really used for games.

The DSi improvements wasnt for cartridge games per se, more like online stuff.

The New 3DS has replaced the original model and the games that take advantage of it have seen great improvments that the original specs are not capable of. Reception for it has been positive from what I know and people want more games to take advantage of it. Mobile platforms are a dying market and I dont blame that on New 3DS.

You have taken a stance but your arguments are weak in my opinion.

Recently Completed