By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Greatest Game of all time

In this forum, please put below what the best game of all time is with an explenation, and please put the system it was on. Remember this is all opinion, so don't start hating on others peoples opinions. You can have discussions over the thoughts as long as you remain respectful. I would also like to ask you to refrain from using any profanity.

Thank you, and have fun.

Around the Network

Hard to say... I think the 3 most influential titles ever released are Pong for the Atari 2600, SMB for the NES and DOOM on PC. Yes I know that none of them were the first of their kind ever made, but they remained arguably the most iconic. For a lesser extant we could include titles like Tetris for the Gameboy, World of Warcraft for PC, Half-Life/CS for PC, Halo for Xbox and FF7 for the PS and Mario 64 for the N64.

Choosing one... that is one hard task. But if it wort's anything, in my opinion the greatest game of all time is Super Mario Brothers. Still totally playable to this day and it made the industry as failproof as it is at the current moment.

Now for my personal favorites, I would consider far less relevant titles, but they were truly exceptional in my eyes:
God of War for the PS2 , Resident Evil 3/4 for PS and PS2, Rayman 2 on PS, Warcraft 3 on PC, Rome Total War on PC and Red Faction on PC, Crash Bandicoot 3 on the PS, Quake 2 on PC, The Last of Us on PS3, Red Faction 2 on PC. Great titles IMO.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Sure Pong needs to be mentioned, but Im gonna go ahead and say that Super Mario Bros (1985 - NES) for kickstarting what is probably the greatest franchise of all time and popularizing the industry as a whole, making the concept of "console-gaming" a stable means of entertainment. Arguably more influential than games like Pacman.

Less relevant, but still influential in my personal opinion: Doom (PC) FF7 (PS) Zelda OFT (N64) WOW (PC) Tetris (Arcade? Not sure) Shadow of the Colossus (PS2) Grand Theft Auto 3 (PS2) Megaman (NES) And Suikoden II (PS- Because, sure, why not)

hunter_alien said:
Hard to say... I think the 3 most influential titles ever released are Pong for the Atari 2600, SMB for the NES and DOOM on PC. Yes I know that none of them were the first of their kind ever made, but they remained arguably the most iconic. For a lesser extant we could include titles like Tetris for the Gameboy, World of Warcraft for PC, Half-Life/CS for PC, Halo for Xbox and FF7 for the PS and Mario 64 for the N64.

Choosing one... that is one hard task. But if it wort's anything, in my opinion the greatest game of all time is Super Mario Brothers. Still totally playable to this day and it made the industry as failproof as it is at the current moment.

Now for my personal favorites, I would consider far less relevant titles, but they were truly exceptional in my eyes:
God of War for the PS2 , Resident Evil 3/4 for PS and PS2, Rayman 2 on PS, Warcraft 3 on PC, Rome Total War on PC and Red Faction on PC, Crash Bandicoot 3 on the PS, Quake 2 on PC, The Last of Us on PS3, Red Faction 2 on PC. Great titles IMO.

I totally agree with all of that, and I love playing God of War so much. One game I think that you could have added to your list possibly at least is Resident Evil, or Resident Evil, because those helped create a spark, and innovation into the horror genre, and it helped create a new aspect to some of the mechanics.

Jpcc86 said:
Sure Pong need to be mentioned, but Im gonna go ahead and say that Super Mario Bros (1985 - NES) for kickstarting what is probably the greatest franchise of all time and popularizing the industry as a whole, making the concept of "console-gaming" a stable means of entertainment. Arguably more influential than games like Pacman.

Less relevant, but still influential in my personal opinion: Doom (PC) FF7 (PS) Zelda OFT (N64) WOW (PC) Tetris (Arcade? Not sure) Shadow of the Colossus (PS2) Grand Theft Auto 3 (PS2) Megaman (NES) And Suikoden II (PS- Because, sure, why not)

I can actually agree that SMB started a major rise into the console gaming, and without it the gaming world might not be where it is nowadays.

Around the Network

Most fun I've ever had in a game? Halo 5. The most influential? SMB or Pong probs. Doom is also a pretty big one it kinda started FPS

My Favourite game is The Wind Waker but it's definitely not the most influential

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

For most important or influential, I'd definitely list games like Pong, Space Invaders, Pac-Man, Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda, Ultima, Street Fighter II, Doom, Quake, and Super Mario 64.

For greatest, I'm going to be boring and pick The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. And, if you'll allow me, I'll just copy what I wrote for one of the greatest games events:

Ocarina of Time is a masterpiece, the pinnacle of Nintendo creativity and ingenuity, and the benchmark against which all games -- past, present, and future -- must be judged. It pioneered innovations like z-targeting, auto-jump, and context sensitive buttons. It took existing game mechanics like horseback riding, fishing, and the realistic passage of time and wove them into the game narrative like never before. Truly, Ocarina has everything: a sweeping musical score for the ages; vast, fully-realized three-dimensional worlds; innovative and easy-to-use controls; an epic and emotionally engaging storyline; and gameplay so rich, varied, and engaging that it has no equal.

Great thread :)

Jdog535 said:
hunter_alien said:

I totally agree with all of that, and I love playing God of War so much. One game I think that you could have added to your list possibly at least is Resident Evil, or Resident Evil, because those helped create a spark, and innovation into the horror genre, and it helped create a new aspect to some of the mechanics.

Totally agree. RE3 was chosen as my personal favorite from the series RE, Portal, Metroid Prime... my god the list could go on

Veknoid_Outcast said:
For most important or influential, I'd definitely list games like Pong, Space Invaders, Pac-Man, Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda, Ultima, Street Fighter II, Doom, Quake, and Super Mario 64.

For greatest, I'm going to be boring and pick The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. And, if you'll allow me, I'll just copy what I wrote for one of the greatest games events:

Ocarina of Time is a masterpiece, the pinnacle of Nintendo creativity and ingenuity, and the benchmark against which all games -- past, present, and future -- must be judged. It pioneered innovations like z-targeting, auto-jump, and context sensitive buttons. It took existing game mechanics like horseback riding, fishing, and the realistic passage of time and wove them into the game narrative like never before. Truly, Ocarina has everything: a sweeping musical score for the ages; vast, fully-realized three-dimensional worlds; innovative and easy-to-use controls; an epic and emotionally engaging storyline; and gameplay so rich, varied, and engaging that it has no equal.

Great thread :)

As a somewhat of a Zelda fan myself (but mostly on handhelds) I always wanted to love OoT but I could never get into it back in the days. I am tempted to buy the remake on the 3DS and give it another shot. Does that version hold up, or should I just rather play it on an emulator or maybe hook up an old N64?

And being on topic: how the hell did I forget SF2? That game was like an earthquake back in the days. Took everyone by surprise after the mediocre SF. Though I always liked Tekken the most and my friends were huge MK fans, this is where the brawler boom began.