By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Emily Rogers rumor: Zelda U to have a playable female, fully voice acted, releasing NX and Wii U

If Emily said it... it's probably true. She's right most of the time.

Anyway, I loved everything. Voice acting is cool, as long as Link is mute. Playable Linkle is awesome... more options are always good to have. And the dual release is a given at this point, which basically confirms NX as a 2016 thing.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Around the Network
Nautilus said:
Wright said:

What's the problem? This is a positive step forward with the franchise. Allow the players to choose!

Of course its not a positive step.If it were like Dragon Age where it was already a custom, or a game which the main protagonist is an avatar, it would be great.But Link is a caracther, and one with almost 30 years with story behind him.If Aonuma wanted to go with a new female protagonist for Zelda U, then I would be fine with it, because its another caracther.But here is implying that it would be a female Link.And Link is a male caracther, not an avatar.

It would be like if you played Metal Gear Solid and you had the choice to play betwenn a male or female Snake.Just.... ugh.

Well said-   If you can make a longstanding male character optional between make and female then it really suspends/cheapens anything cannon in the storyline       I hope Nintendeo does not go full SJW in the West  but it seems they are well on their way

cycycychris said:

He never said that Star Fox was going to get delayed. He said that the play testers at Nintendo of Europe didn't like the controls(too high of learning curve) and they had adviced NCL to delay the game... But never said it would be delayed.

Actually he did, his earlier tweets were suggesting a delay was inbound because of troubled development and that was one of the reasons then his later tweets started ringing to the tune of the may or may not be a delay which essentially is a load of bullocks because it's like me saying NX might or might not release this year, it's basically saying nothing which makes me more skeptical of this particular circle of leakers. 

What happens if the female option gets knocked up in the middle of the adventure?  Will the game take longerr to complete?  Will she get some time to bond with th little tyke or will she have to get right back to the adventure?  Maybe that can be a player option. 

Also will her body be represntative of ALL female body types??? 

If she loses a boss fight, does it mean all women are being represented as weak?  

If she takes Link s place in the girl option...well why does she have to follow in a MALES footsteps? 

Nintendo should go back and remake every Zelda game in a paralell universe with a female Link-  that is the only way to make it "Fair" and equitable, otherwise she will never be "even" with the male Link

Dunban67 said:
Nautilus said:

Of course its not a positive step.If it were like Dragon Age where it was already a custom, or a game which the main protagonist is an avatar, it would be great.But Link is a caracther, and one with almost 30 years with story behind him.If Aonuma wanted to go with a new female protagonist for Zelda U, then I would be fine with it, because its another caracther.But here is implying that it would be a female Link.And Link is a male caracther, not an avatar.

It would be like if you played Metal Gear Solid and you had the choice to play betwenn a male or female Snake.Just.... ugh.

Well said-   If you can make a longstanding male character optional between make and female then it really suspends/cheapens anything cannon in the storyline       I hope Nintendeo does not go full SJW in the West  but it seems they are well on their way

Link is not a character with 30 years of storylines behind him.  He's like 12 characters with one or 2 stories behind each of them.  Each character is distinct from the other, so there is no real reason why one couldn't be a female.  Plus, the character has been generally written in such a way that him being female wouldn't make much of a difference.

Around the Network
Hiku said:
Nautilus said:

Nintendo is known to make different things, and even change things from estabilished franchises.So if they truly intended to Link to be female, why wait for 30 years?It makes no sense.Unless Link was always male, of course.

And if they want to make a female lead for the franchise, why not a brand new one?Or even Zelda?That would result ina much more interesting result than just making a female Link skin.You could work with new concepts, like Mario and Luigi.An example would be this:Link would be the equivalent of Mario, the steriotype hero, while this new heroine would be Luigi.A more humane person who would naturally be afraid of something that could get you killed, but would find the courage to do so.This way you keep(most) fans happy, and could give a much better and interesting direction to the franchises, switching betwenn both heros betwenn titles.

Maybe Link could have been seen until A Link to the Past as an avatar, and I emphasize on the maybe, but after OOT, its impossible to say this in my opinion.He has always the same appearance, has expressions, and even though he dosent talk has a personality that stays mostly the same through the games.That is not the definition of a avatar.And the problem with different genders is that you may miss some oportunities, like romantic interest and jokes that are restrictive to the gender, and so on.In the end, you could lose alot of oportunities for caracther growth and such.It would limit the game for no good reason.

Sure, they wouldn't wait 30 years just for that. But at some point tradition comes into play, and it's not always easy to break away from it unless you do it in a good way. Still, the ratio of male to female leads in Nintendo's main games are still fairly unproportioned. And it's like that for most other developers as well.

Having the option to play as Zelda would be a really cool idea, imo. Though that would obviously result in a different storyline for her, than for Link, if there's still the option to play as Link. And don't you think there's a big risk of upsetting people if they forego Link as an option entierly? "Then they may as well call the game The Legend of Zel... oh wait?!"
Making two different storylines can be challenging on the development side of things. Though some times it works well, and we have many examples of that in the past. Sadly these days, those portions are sold as DLC instead of being included in the game, just because they can easily make the argument that it's not part of the original game. And given what Nintendo did with Fire Emblem Fates, I wouldn't be optimistic about getting the option between Link and Zelda in this game. Although I would buy that DLC, and I can imagine it would be worth it.

As for avatars, I dunno if there's any specific criteria. For example, in Dragon Age Inquisition, you can alter their appearance, but they do speak. And the main character in Fire Emblem Awakening is refered to as either Avatar, or Robin. And they have a distinct personality and mannerism. Although you can alter their appearance and gender. While in a game like Persona 4, you can't alter the appearance of the character.
Anyway, that's an impression I got personally. Same with the main characters of most Suikoden games. And perhaps that's why Nintendo have been getting requests for a female Link. I don't think there are as many requests for certain other characters who do speak, and you can't change their names and whatnot.

But when we think about the role that Link's gender has played in the games, there hasn't been much of significance that I can think of in the games I've played. Certainly between him and Zelda, I don't recall any love story between them. But I do remember the young Zora princess in OOT wanting to marry Link. But you can even this thing out by having another male character say something similar to a female Link.

It dosent need to necessarily have two different storylines in the same game, even though if fully fleshed out that could be a really good idea(Maybe even switching betwenn them, like if one is stuck in the dark world and anothe rin the light world and make them interact with one another in some way).I was thinking more in the lines of having a game only for the female lead, that only stars her.It would give a fresh new protagonist, and would shake things up.As far as complaints go, I personally think this would have less repercussions than making Link female, but I will admit that I may not being entirely objective in this analysis, since I dont like the female Link idea.

About the avatar criteria, you may have a point there, but then again, every example you list have some level of customization to the main caracther, while in Zelda you can only change Links name top.For me an avatar would be someone who has zero personality, or next to it, like in XCX(As far as I know, since Ididnt play that game.So please no spoilers),or that you can change his personality to being a saint to a total dick, without having the developer tell you that one specific personality is the canon.Its really hard to pinpoint a real categorization of being an avatar, but for me Link is far from being one in my vision.

And the romance part dosent necessarily have to be consumed or extremely expliced(read:to be said they are in a relationship or that they want).It could also be implied, like it is in TP, with you-know-who.And if Link was female in that game, well it would create another range of problems.

For me, making Link female seems so... unnecessary, especially when there are so many better options at hand.Its like pissing off people that would care about it for no really good reason.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Nautilus said:
Hiku said:

Sure, they wouldn't wait 30 years just for that. But at some point tradition comes into play, and it's not always easy to break away from it unless you do it in a good way. Still, the ratio of male to female leads in Nintendo's main games are still fairly unproportioned. And it's like that for most other developers as well.

Having the option to play as Zelda would be a really cool idea, imo. Though that would obviously result in a different storyline for her, than for Link, if there's still the option to play as Link. And don't you think there's a big risk of upsetting people if they forego Link as an option entierly? "Then they may as well call the game The Legend of Zel... oh wait?!"
Making two different storylines can be challenging on the development side of things. Though some times it works well, and we have many examples of that in the past. Sadly these days, those portions are sold as DLC instead of being included in the game, just because they can easily make the argument that it's not part of the original game. And given what Nintendo did with Fire Emblem Fates, I wouldn't be optimistic about getting the option between Link and Zelda in this game. Although I would buy that DLC, and I can imagine it would be worth it.

As for avatars, I dunno if there's any specific criteria. For example, in Dragon Age Inquisition, you can alter their appearance, but they do speak. And the main character in Fire Emblem Awakening is refered to as either Avatar, or Robin. And they have a distinct personality and mannerism. Although you can alter their appearance and gender. While in a game like Persona 4, you can't alter the appearance of the character.
Anyway, that's an impression I got personally. Same with the main characters of most Suikoden games. And perhaps that's why Nintendo have been getting requests for a female Link. I don't think there are as many requests for certain other characters who do speak, and you can't change their names and whatnot.

But when we think about the role that Link's gender has played in the games, there hasn't been much of significance that I can think of in the games I've played. Certainly between him and Zelda, I don't recall any love story between them. But I do remember the young Zora princess in OOT wanting to marry Link. But you can even this thing out by having another male character say something similar to a female Link.

It dosent need to necessarily have two different storylines in the same game, even though if fully fleshed out that could be a really good idea(Maybe even switching betwenn them, like if one is stuck in the dark world and anothe rin the light world and make them interact with one another in some way).I was thinking more in the lines of having a game only for the female lead, that only stars her.It would give a fresh new protagonist, and would shake things up.As far as complaints go, I personally think this would have less repercussions than making Link female, but I will admit that I may not being entirely objective in this analysis, since I dont like the female Link idea.

About the avatar criteria, you may have a point there, but then again, every example you list have some level of customization to the main caracther, while in Zelda you can only change Links name top.For me an avatar would be someone who has zero personality, or next to it, like in XCX(As far as I know, since Ididnt play that game.So please no spoilers),or that you can change his personality to being a saint to a total dick, without having the developer tell you that one specific personality is the canon.Its really hard to pinpoint a real categorization of being an avatar, but for me Link is far from being one in my vision.

And the romance part dosent necessarily have to be consumed or extremely expliced(read:to be said they are in a relationship or that they want).It could also be implied, like it is in TP, with you-know-who.And if Link was female in that game, well it would create another range of problems.

For me, making Link female seems so... unnecessary, especially when there are so many better options at hand.Its like pissing off people that would care about it for no really good reason.

It is never implied anything in Twilight Princess. It's all in your imagination.

As for the "pissing people that would care about it"... Why would they be pissed? What's wrong with having a choice? Why would it diminish their appriciation for the game? Please, give me one good reason why it would be such a big deal? Tradition? Because it's always been a male Link? What importance does it make?

I'm starting to get the feeling that this really will be a reboot.

spemanig said:

I don't see Link as an avatar, this gets on my nerves. He has a distinct and consistent personality across every game, and his differences in appearence are due to the artstyle, an artistic interpretation of the events taking place completely external and independant of how the characters are actually experiencing that world. If every Zelda game was made in the same art style, every Link would look exactly the same. The franchise does not work under the traditional rules of reincarnation, so the traditional allowances of of reincarnation should not apply. It's not up to interpretation. That's how the franchise has factually been created in practice, whether intentional or not, since they had enough technology to give him a personality. Link being a male is not a tradition, it is a fundimental canon of the world of Zelda. As fundemental as Zelda being a girl and Ganon being a man-pig.

That being said, of all offenses this game could have pulled, an option to play as a Link genderswap, something that is absolutely not canon as far as I'm concerned, is as small as they get. The confirmation of VA more than makes up for it. They could allow an option for a Goron Link now for all I care.

It's more the way I feel it that the way it is. I'm not sure if that makes sense. When I play Zelda games I feel like I'm Link, so Link is an avatar to me. But that's not because of an objective reason, it's just my personal POV. Zelda games are very inmersive when I play it, but that might be my conscious decision, make me feel like we're the same person. A process of abstraction. In a factual analysis you could easily conclude that with the advance of technologies, Link has grown into a proper character.

This sounds like a mindfuck and stupid, but I can't stop my way of thinking xDDD. 

Wyrdness said:
The way Link has been depicted in the games ever since WW highlights he's no longer just an avatar per say, he remains voiceless so the player can fill in the blanks themselves and connect with him but he's gone from being an avatar that represents the player to a character that the player uses their own imagination to fill in.

On the rumour and tbh I'm skeptical, for one Emily has been wrong and wide off the mark before, people say but Paper Mario well rumours of that game have been circulating for close to 2 years now they even came up before last E3. Her fellow leaker in the OP that Doctor Cupcakes wasn't he the one that got the whole Star Fox Zero delay thing wrong or was that some one else?

People have been expecting Zelda to be on NX since the platform was announce and the delay was suddenly sprung on gamers not to mention Super Metal Dave's leak has already given strong indication it's happening. When they say voice acting do they mean spoken dialogue or made up gibberish like in Okami or what Midna uses, even the grunts by Link have a VA so this is a claim that can easily be sidestepped if wrong. The claim that players choose the gender of the character has me skeptical especially as Aonuma indicated the's no female Link in an earlier statement, unless the is a female character who helps Link every now and then I don't believe this part.

Exactly!