By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - [CRAVE] Baldur’s Gate Expansion controversy

KLXVER said:

Thats the thing. I wouldnt mind a transgender character in any franchise I love, but dont change existing characters just to have more diversity.

The thing is, Mizhena isn't changing an existing character. She's just an NPC added in the expansion, not overwritting any previously NPC to put her there. The main complain here is how poorly the dialogue and exchanges with her are made, plus the general reaction of the developers admist the criticism.

What I'm saying is that it's extremely dumb to just complain about a NPC in Baldur's Gate for being transgender.

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
That title is just insulting to reaction that the game has received.

The backlash stems from an interview with the writer of the game who just was completely antagonistic about it, getting down to "if you don't like it, well that's too bad". To sum it up as the oppression of LGBTQ is outrageous in its right.

Yeah, to quote a poster from the EG, this is a "Dead Cat Strategy" - players had complaints about quest bugs, savegame corruption, breaking of mod support (in the Steam version), the linear nature of the campaign and quality of writing in general, and only then there was token transgender character.

Then the writer decided to proclaim her SJW-ness and piss people off even more, and all of the sudden focus is on GG bogeyman that gaming press loves to call upon when it needs click-baits, and Beamdog is out of the spotlight for messy release.

Wright said:
KLXVER said:

Thats the thing. I wouldnt mind a transgender character in any franchise I love, but dont change existing characters just to have more diversity.

The thing is, Mizhena isn't changing an existing character. She's just an NPC added in the expansion, not overwritting any previously NPC to put her there. The main complain here is how poorly the dialogue and exchanges with her are made, plus the general reaction of the developers admist the criticism.

What I'm saying is that it's extremely dumb to just complain about a NPC in Baldur's Gate for being transgender.

Okay I didnt know she was new, but there were some existing characters that changed. Like the woman who used her sexuality to get people to do what she wanted. Now she uses sarcasm instead. Its not a huge deal, but I just dont like changes like that.

The fact that Piston Honda is named Piston Hondo in the newest Punch-Out!! bugs me.

'Developers should be free to express their creative freedom in any way they choose' - 'Unless it's about a thing I personally am bigoted against, then I'll boycott'

- literally gamers on forums.

The first one always pops up with ralleys against 'cencorship' whenever a localization takes out sexualized costumes on underaged girls, when a developer decides to change a pose or whatever changes that alter sexy bits.

Yet all this talk of creative freedom is completely disregarded when it comes to topics that anyone personally happens to disagree with. Instead of respecting their creative decisions, gamers decide to bombard devs with accousations of 'catering to minorities', 'caving to the pc', threats of boycott and petititions to cancel games.

My question is - In a game with hundreds/thousands of NPCs, why is a single transgender one that you have to specifically search for and ask them several questions to even get to the part, where they say they are trans such a fucking problem? This is about as optional as it gets. Nothing about this is 'forcing anything down anyones throat'.
This is about the size of an easter egg.

Why can't we have sexy bits AND lgbt/women/minorities/what thefuck ever the dev want to have in the game. Heck, why not have sexy trans ladys/guys?
This should not be a problem.

So, the character went to a clinic in Baldur's Gate to do the operation?

Around the Network
Lawlight said:

Presumably they used the genderbending belt that is already in the game? :P

SuperNova said:
Lawlight said:

Presumably they used the genderbending belt that is already in the game? :P

Or is there some kind of potion? haha

The reporting on this seems a bit dishonest, as is generally expected on such issues nowadays.
Almost none of the negative comments say just the inclusion of the transgender character are a problem. They all say it's written in a preachy in-your-face way, as if the game's trying to tell you what you should think.

If so, that's a fair enough reason to down vote in my eyes. Entertainment that tries to sneak through an agenda is insufferable.

the_dark_lewd said:
The reporting on this seems a bit dishonest, as is generally expected on such issues nowadays.
Almost none of the negative comments say just the inclusion of the transgender character are a problem. They all say it's written in a preachy in-your-face way, as if the game's trying to tell you what you should think.

If so, that's a fair enough reason to down vote in my eyes. Entertainment that tries to sneak through an agenda is insufferable.

Yeah, it's been covered, I even included several videos as well as the owner of Beamdogs letter, indicating they would be working on the TG characters writing (which was the complaint, not that the character was TG), as well as removing a line of dialogue from Minsc that really had no place in that universe.  But, the OP hasn't touched the thread in 2 days, and well, as you say, dishonest reporting.

mornelithe said:
the_dark_lewd said:

Yeah, it's been covered, I even included several videos as well as the owner of Beamdogs letter, indicating they would be working on the TG characters writing (which was the complaint, not that the character was TG), as well as removing a line of dialogue from Minsc that really had no place in that universe.  But, the OP hasn't touched the thread in 2 days, and well, as you say, dishonest reporting.

Hey, hey, wait a second.

It is not everyday i have (or want to spend) the time to come here and read everything.
Just posted the news to start the discussion, not even manifested myself about the situation so far.

I have seen boogie's video and saw Trent answer. I will update the OP with that when i have the time (if a mod see this, please feel free to do so, if you want).

Also, i understand the complain about the title, but that's how i usually bring articles here. I put the source between brackets and use the original title from the source. Since it seems it became a issue, i will try to update it to something else.