By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - [CRAVE] Baldur’s Gate Expansion controversy

Wright said:

What a dumb thing to complain about, really.

I guess, but would you like it if another developer got their hands on a game you love and changed the personality of several characters?

Around the Network
KLXVER said:

I guess, but would you like it if another developer got their hands on a game you love and changed the personality of several characters?

Yes, I would.

Wright said:
KLXVER said:

Yes, I would.

That was a way too straightforward answer

I dont know what games you love, but you would have no problem with...lets say Alyx became a very feminine damsel in distress in a remake of Half-Life 2?

KLXVER said:

I dont know what games you love, but you would have no problem with...lets say Alyx became a very feminine damsel in distress in a remake of Half-Life 2?

Why would I? If they screw it up because the story, the characters or the gameplay makes no sense, I can always go back to vanilla Half-Life 2. The only case I could see this being outrageous is if they removed the original game to favor this new version. Otherwise, I'll give it a try.

Wright said:
KLXVER said:

Why would I? If they screw it up because the story, the characters or the gameplay makes no sense, I can always go back to vanilla Half-Life 2. The only case I could see this being outrageous is if they removed the original game to favor this new version. Otherwise, I'll give it a try.

Well you are a bigger person than me. I would complain...

Around the Network

So many knee-jerk comments from people who read the title and didn't bother to look in to it at all..
Don't you see that you're part of the problem?

KLXVER said:

I would complain in regards of the game per se. If it has flaws, problems or anything, I would complain. I could also compare it with the original version and say why I prefer the original one.

But in this case, I would certainly not complain about such minor changes in something they aren't forced to play if they don't want to. I actually welcome a transgender character in Baldur's Gate!

vkaraujo said:
Amber Scott, a writer on the game, responded to these criticisms by saying: "As I've said before (and I won't say much more on this subject other than to get my perspective out there): I'm the writer and creator. I get to make decisions about who I write about and why. I don't like writing about straight/white/cis people all the time. It's not reflective of the real world, it sets up s/w/c as the "normal" baseline from which "other" characters must be added, and it's boring.

"I consciously add as much diversity as I can to my writing and I don't care if people think that's "forced" or fake. I find choosing to write from a straight default just as artificial. I'm happy to be an SJW and I hope to write many Social Justice Games in the future that reach as many different types of people as possible. Everyone should get a chance to see themselves reflected in pop culture."

This here is the problem. There's a place for everything, and I personally find it hard to believe Baldur's Gate is a fitting place for a transgender character. Maybe it is, but it requires a lot of writing to back it up to make it not feel forced. Judging by what I've read about this case, writing obviously did not back it up well enough.

If you take something old and build on it, you must respect the base. If you can't respect the base, you're working on the wrong thing.

Wright said:
KLXVER said:

I would complain in regards of the game per se. If it has flaws, problems or anything, I would complain. I could also compare it with the original version and say why I prefer the original one.

But in this case, I would certainly not complain about such minor changes in something they aren't forced to play if they don't want to. I actually welcome a transgender character in Baldur's Gate!

Thats the thing. I wouldnt mind a transgender character in any franchise I love, but dont change existing characters just to have more diversity.

At the end of the day, if you don't like the direction the creators take with an existing franchise, then don't buy the new expansion/game. However, making personal threats towards developers because you disagree with their views is just terrible.