By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy XV- do you think it'll go on NX?

I think it will, though depending on the consoles release date it could be quite a while after the initial release.
If FFXV isn't on there I would imagine the VII remake will see it's way there at some point since Cloud's inclusion into Smash.

Around the Network
bigtakilla said:
Luke888 said:

Can't deny that XD

Talking about FFXV certainly how easy it is for SE to port it to NX is key to know if they'll port it or not on the console, but other than that I'd consider also the fact that ZombiU, a title totally different from standard Nintendo games, managed to sell about 1M copies on Wii U despite it's small userbase, and that's only because of the fact that it was bundled at launch with Wii U, so SE might want to do the same with FFXV on NX (since NX is 99% likely to release after the 30th of September) since wether the console is succesful or not beeing one of the first titles released on it and beeing available in bundle would make for great sales (it'd certainly make up for the costs of a standard porting) considering that Nintendo fans are more used to RPGs than Action games similar to ZombiU...

But do you think a better port could come next year being that is the time the PC version will likely release (as well as an updated version for the PS4k will likely also release around the same time if the PS4k is indeed a real thing). 

Nope, I think it's either 2016 bundle with NX or nothing (MAYBE EARLY 2017 but I don't see Nintendo releasing it in January/Febbruary), another possibility is if they decide to include some of the DLC for free in the bundle but they'd have to point out it before September 30th and still I don't think it would sell as well as it could do in an hypothetical November release...

Yes, and I also could see Kingdom Hearts as well. Although for me its Dual Shock or bust.
Oh GOD I want Kingdom Hearts 3 so bad!

Luke888 said:
bigtakilla said:

But do you think a better port could come next year being that is the time the PC version will likely release (as well as an updated version for the PS4k will likely also release around the same time if the PS4k is indeed a real thing). 

Nope, I think it's either 2016 bundle with NX or nothing (MAYBE EARLY 2017 but I don't see Nintendo releasing it in January/Febbruary), another possibility is if they decide to include some of the DLC for free in the bundle but they'd have to point out it before September 30th and still I don't think it would sell as well as it could do in an hypothetical November release...

Not entirely sure why not... 

Relies heavily on the reception of the game, sales, how much Nintendo is willing to pay to have it, and how powerful the NX is and how successful it is

Around the Network

Yes, because they need to sell such a large amount they have no choice but to put it on everything that can run it.

Don't take Cloud being in Super Smash as just a fluke, things happen for a reason.

Assuming the console sells fine, yes. But because of the waiting game. It will come out late. Sell bad, because the games old. And then SE will blame Nintendo fans for not buying 3rd party. I see this being the outcome.

Essentially power and popularity will determine this. As the NX won't have time to prove its popularity it really comes down to whether Square Enix see's potential in the hardware. If NX is more powerful then PS4 I think its a given. If its near par, then I see it as likely. Partially due to the dire state of the Japanese market, the likelyhood/assumption that the NX is to be built around making PS4 ports easy and that the system will play some crutial role in Nintendo's next handheld. The same handheld SE will rely on to continue making money in Japan. They've already expressed interest in releasing their No.1 IP of the decade so far (DQXI) on the NX, so if FF15 can run on the system I think they'll make it work. If the Wii could run FFXIII without compromising the games vision they would have put it on the system, no doubt.

Its important to look at what platforms mainline Final Fantasy has been on and why.

4th gen and prior- The vast majority of console games are made exclusively for one system. Nintendo happens to be the one SE supports here.

5th Gen- Single platform support still remains the industry standard and the N64 is not only delayed by over a year, it also arrives with a storage medium which doesn't fit SE's ambitions, so they move to Playstation. (SE is hardware/ambition driven whne it comes to Final Fantasy, although they lost this with XIII-2 & Lightning Returns)

6th Gen- Console exclusivity is still the standard for Japanese devs, whereas western devs begin to adopt more of a multiplat release tactic. SE reached its peak when working with Playstion 1 hardware, so they stick with Sony.

7th Gen- Multiplatform releases are now the industry standard with Japnese devs being the last to catch on. Prior playstation exclusives like FFXIII, Tekken, and Metal Gear Solid all find their way onto 360, after initially being exclusive to the PS3 at the beginning of the gen. Nintendo has a system 1/10th the strength of the PS3, so its not part of the equation. They didn't offer up real support for the Wii (FFCrystal Bearers, DQX) until after it broke records and sold a shit load.

8th Gen-The only viable FF title the Wii U could have recieved was Lightnings Returns. The final installment (cash-in) in a trilogy which did not feature on any Nintendo's platforms. Wii U arrived at the end of the generation and is not even uniformly more powerful then the 360 and had nothing to offer Square Enix for the future (again they're hardware driven when it comes to Final Fantasy unless a system proves popular- the Wii U didn't).

archer9234 said:

Assuming the console sells fine, yes. But because of the waiting game. It will come out late. Sell bad, because the games old. And then SE will blame Nintendo fans for not buying 3rd party. I see this being the outcome.

Luke888 said:

Talking about FFXV certainly how easy it is for SE to port it to NX is key to know if they'll port it or not on the console, but other than that I'd consider also the fact that ZombiU, a title totally different from standard Nintendo games, managed to sell about 1M copies on Wii U despite it's small userbase, and that's only because of the fact that it was bundled at launch with Wii U, so SE might want to do the same with FFXV on NX (since NX is 99% likely to release after the 30th of September) since wether the console is succesful or not beeing one of the first titles released on it and beeing available in bundle would make for great sales (it'd certainly make up for the costs of a standard porting) considering that Nintendo fans are more used to RPGs than Action games similar to ZombiU...

As I said SE might see the opportunity to have FFXV as a launch title for NX (of course IF it's easy to port to, but since they want to release DQXI on it I don't think they'll have any problem) resulting in decent/good sales that would:

a) result in an initial fanbase for SE games on NX;

b)make a profit for SE and help them reach the goal of 10M copies sold...