By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why didnt Sega get the backlash MS does?

zero129 said:
think-man said:
And we all know what happened to Sega lol

Segas downfall had nothing to do with releasing their games on PC, and more to do with the Sega CD and 32x leaving a bad impression, and Sony coming along at the right time and doing what Sega was doing only better.

the poor development and game library of the Saturn had far more of an impact than the 32x and Sega CD, which were advertised as more add on expansions than anything else.

The Saturn was essentially the end of Sega because at that point they abandoned a lot of their popular series for the gen and had a very slanted library in terms of genre. They also did not support it long enough or hard enough.

by the time they jumped into the Dreamcast they had upset part of their fanbase and frankly made some poor design decisions with the system and couldn't compete against slightly better specs WITH a Dvd player attached as well.

but it was the Saturn more than anything. You screw up once and make fans think that you're not going to stick with a console and make their purchase worth while and then they may never trust you again

Sega to this day has alienated a lot of their better IPs too, for whatever reason still making some of the same mistakes now as then

Around the Network
Swordmasterman said:
oniyide said:

People also dont care. Not really. They can get information easier, but how much of these people even follow video game news like that? How much of those 20mil? Its not like the X1 is flopping. MS changed their plan because the plan wasnt working. it that simple.

They changed their plan because the Consumes were well Informed and they had a lot of Pre-orders Canceled, and isn't a Flop, but is selling less than the last year, they have  a YoY Drop, a Big one until now, because of that Phill Spencer, came to say that there will not have a Xbox One.5, because  even with Price Cut, the Xbox One Wasn't selling more.

People are well informed, no one purchase such a Expensive product that is intended to last Several years, without  make research, only if the person will purchase all the Products avaliable anyway.

Those people who cancelled the pre orders are the people who ARE informed. Otherwise they wouldnt be preordering a 500 gaming machine. But there are still a whole bunch of other people that are in fact not informed and dont care that much, so what i said wasnt wrong, the plan didnt work. All that is true but i think their sales has alot to do with strong competition form PS4, its just a more popular system and if we are being honest its a more popular brand pretty much WW especially outside of the US that is hard to combat

People spend money on expensive electronics all the time with little knowledge on what they can do except whatever the guy at Best Buy, Game Stop whatever will tell you. Now people buying game machines are gonna be a bit more informed but how informed does that go for the majority? Its not like that much people are going on game forums, hell how much of these people are even award of these games going to PC? And do they really care? If they did I imagine the X1 doing worse than it is.

teigaga said:
Swordmasterman said:

LOL, so you think that a Console  people say that have a High Digital Attach Rate, 95% of The Users are Un-informed ?, Microsoft's Last PR, was mainly to Windows 10, PC, And all the games coming for PC, the "Integration" of PC, and Xbox, if things were like you are saying, so games would not sell at launch, they would sell more after that. people would be "Wow, they launched a new game and my friend is playing, so i will try out", People who own console, know  some Gaming News,  Atleast from  some time ago,  they maybe not know the newest ones,  but they are well informed, and Games coming for PC, already is a old thing for Microsoft, now, so i think that the Majority, already know.

Also, is hard don't know this when you get a PC Version, for free when Purchase Quantum Break.

What does high digital attach rate have to do with this? I never said they were uninformed to the point of not knowing that their Xbox can also downlaod games lol. Turn on your console and the digital storefront is literally in your face telling you pre-order/download upcoming games.

Also the term "informed" should be used loosely here. People retain and notice information that matters to them. Knowing of a games existence through seeing a cool trailer, a TV spot, a review, word of mouth, a web/print advert etc is not the same as reading an article about Microsofts long term plans regarding Windows 10 and Xbox exclusives. 

Anecdotes don't prove much but I just asked my brother who actually owns an Xbox One whether he heard about Microsoft plans to move their exclusives to PC, he said no. I won't argue on this point, but I firmly believe what I said and you'll struggle to convince me otherwise as there is really no useful data on this. 

Sorry, but isn't mine or your close friends or Family that will tell the thruth about Information.

If someone have a internet good enought to donwload games, this person is probably  well Informed, your statement said that 95% of The Xbox One's Owners does not knew those News, and again, Majority knows that Microsoft, is showing much Windows 10 on their events, and that games will came for PC, we have Twitter, Facebook, Several Sites about game, Several youtube Channels, and several sourcers.

Your Statement make it seems that Xbox One's Users don't have Information, that they only have Selective Information, and that they became Blind, and Deaf, when they see some Article on the Internet.

People follow their favorite Video Game Companies (being it Third Party or not), follow celebrities, such as Kojima, and they aways stay well informed when the Subject, is from someone that they like.

If your Statement was true, so no one would purchase Games on Launch, because they are so Un-Informed, and Dumb to do this, also people would Purchase everything on the Online Stores, they would see a Shining Button, and would press it Several times and purchase Multiple times the same thing, only because was Shinning, and only because was Avaliable for the User.

oniyide said:
Nem said:

I'm pretty sure this claim isn't true. SEGA games only came to the PC much later than the console versions.

Yeah i'm double checking. 2 years later for panzer dragoon, 3 years later for virtua fighter, Sonic cd 3 years. I don't think that is comparable to what people are angry about with microsoft. 

These were also software releases that didn't get much advertisement at all.

I don't agree with this at all. People weren't stupid back then, nor was SEGA. Having a gaming PC wasn't a common thing back then, to even be able to run those games. Their releases weren't advertised and came 1 to 3 years later when no one cared anymore cause there were newer and more exciting things coming.

Now, i will agree that theres lots of entitled and outspoken people today, especially the younger ones, but what Microsoft is doing with the X1 is totally different. Its releasing exclusives simultaneously on the PC. And that isn't a smart strategy at all unless they plan to abandon the system, because anyone informed who has a PC, will have no reason to buy an X1. The system also loses value in the eyes of the average consumer when it loses its diferentiating factors.

So... its not all about QQ, people ate this crap before. No, they didn't. And Sega didnt try anything of the sort.

How much people are actually informed? How much of those informed people even have a PC capable of running those games without problems. Judging by the sales of X1 i would say not many

Err... its only just started. It won't show the most until the next Xbox where people will get the next rival product instead due to the bad rep earned through this practice. Because they will see further value in that offer. Though i'm sure you should see a drop year to year.

But it isnt something easy to quantify atm.

Either way thats not the point of this thread. SEGA did nothing of the sort.

Revisionist History much?

Sega got PLENTY of backlash. There was criticism all the way from the very beginning. Escpecially during the Saturn years. They were considered a joke.

Around the Network
archer9234 said:

Here's a question. Was their a huge backlash when Halo 1 or 2 came to PC? At that point, the Internet was nearly what it is today. Minus social media.

Bad example though.  Halo was originally intended as a Mac/PC game with no console version named.  The game was even revealed at Macworld 1999, and the Xbox version came about when MS bought Bungie.  The backlash back then was from Mac fans who lost one of their most supportive developers.

Halo 2 was also released ~2½ years later on the PC after the Xbox version.

Hiku said:
Imaginedvl said:

Because you see the investment in the hardware not in the ecosystem. I'm not investing in the device itself... I have all my games on Xbox 360, One or Windows PC.

Since when having games also available on PC makes consoles useless or sell less? This is just speculations.
Do you really think so many people bought the Playstation 4 because of exlcusives? And not because it was just cheaper at first and even at even price with better capabilities and same support form third parties than any other platform out there?

My Xbox One will not stop being able to run any game just because they are available on PC.

I mean, if you assume that exculsives are the main selling points for consoles; I definetly understand where you are coming from. But I just don't believe it the case.

So I'm back to my point; I'm investing in Microsoft eco-system, not in a single piece of hardware. And that's Microsoft vision too I believe.

If even one single person abstains from buying a console because certain games are on PC as well, it's no longer speculation, but fact. It's just a question of how common it is. And moves like this only increases the incentive for people to do it.
I saw what you said earlier about the only ones expressing concerns about this are people who were never interested in the console to begin with, but that's really not the case. I don't know why you would doubt that this, along with Microsoft closing 8 studios soon after their PC announcemment, is making some people worried about the future of Xbox (the console). But in case you for whatever reason want to be sure that it's someone who has an intention of owning an xbox, now or in the future, there are plenty of videos on youtube from Xbox gamers about this. Here's one example. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wQon0GdiYo

As for your question about exclusives, for some people, price is more important. For others, it's which console plays their multiplats better. But exclusives are certainly a factor for many as well. And when it comes to Playstation consoles, there's often a lot of them. PS2 had around 12 000 games for it, while the original Xbox had around 1000. And Gamecube had around 2000. That's a difference of over 10 000 games. It's not just titles that these companies pay for that become exclusives. These spontaneous exclusives happen if the consoles sell significantly more than another console, or more in a certain region (as this is mainly the case with Japanese games).
Maybe exclusives are the main selling point of consoles, or maybe not. But it's definitely an important factor.

If you personally are ok with the the possibility of Xbox the console taking a hit in favor of the Xbox brand as a whole, on PC or elsewhere, I can understand that. But there are people who only, or mainly, prefer to game on their consoles, and not PC. I understand that sentiment myself, because I only game on PC on rare occasions. (Diablo 3, etc) And among those people there are those who prefer their specific console brand. And I can see why they would be worried when MS makes these moves.

I believe you are really one sided with this... And only see this as a bad thing and do not understand that it is not everybody's opinion and you believe that what Microsoft wants to do is not attracting anyone but only pushing them away... 

I'm not "okay" with the Xbox console taking the hit... I'm saying I'm "welcome" it; I welcome the vision from Microsoft and like me a lot of Xbox owner will (again, speculation). Knowing that my Xbox is part of the main eco-system and my game can be playable on all devices, it will make me buy more of those devices.

I know nobody from my Xbox friends that are pissed or annoyed by that. Majority do not care and some others (including myself) are actually welcoming the idea... Again, the majority of people "complaining" are not even interested into the Xbox brand at all... And this is the reason of the OP, Internet.. Haters being able to just bitch anomalously…

Nem said:
oniyide said:

How much people are actually informed? How much of those informed people even have a PC capable of running those games without problems. Judging by the sales of X1 i would say not many

Err... its only just started. It won't show the most until the next Xbox where people will get the next rival product instead due to the bad rep earned through this practice. Because they will see further value in that offer. Though i'm sure you should see a drop year to year.

But it isnt something easy to quantify atm.

Either way thats not the point of this thread. SEGA did nothing of the sort.

they've been buying the rival's product since the gen started and that had nothing to do with games going on PC. I would argue because they have been buying the rival product is why MS is doing what its doing now, trying to get revenue in a place they actually do well in. Why keep fighting a losing battle? To appease a few diehards?

Sega PC games were ported much later and it wasnt the whole library.

Imaginedvl said:
Hiku said:

If even one single person abstains from buying a console because certain games are on PC as well, it's no longer speculation, but fact. It's just a question of how common it is. And moves like this only increases the incentive for people to do it.
I saw what you said earlier about the only ones expressing concerns about this are people who were never interested in the console to begin with, but that's really not the case. I don't know why you would doubt that this, along with Microsoft closing 8 studios soon after their PC announcemment, is making some people worried about the future of Xbox (the console). But in case you for whatever reason want to be sure that it's someone who has an intention of owning an xbox, now or in the future, there are plenty of videos on youtube from Xbox gamers about this. Here's one example. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wQon0GdiYo

As for your question about exclusives, for some people, price is more important. For others, it's which console plays their multiplats better. But exclusives are certainly a factor for many as well. And when it comes to Playstation consoles, there's often a lot of them. PS2 had around 12 000 games for it, while the original Xbox had around 1000. And Gamecube had around 2000. That's a difference of over 10 000 games. It's not just titles that these companies pay for that become exclusives. These spontaneous exclusives happen if the consoles sell significantly more than another console, or more in a certain region (as this is mainly the case with Japanese games).
Maybe exclusives are the main selling point of consoles, or maybe not. But it's definitely an important factor.

If you personally are ok with the the possibility of Xbox the console taking a hit in favor of the Xbox brand as a whole, on PC or elsewhere, I can understand that. But there are people who only, or mainly, prefer to game on their consoles, and not PC. I understand that sentiment myself, because I only game on PC on rare occasions. (Diablo 3, etc) And among those people there are those who prefer their specific console brand. And I can see why they would be worried when MS makes these moves.

I believe you are really one sided with this... And only see this as a bad thing and do not understand that it is not everybody's opinion and you believe that what Microsoft wants to do is not attracting anyone but only pushing them away... 

I'm not "okay" with the Xbox console taking the hit... I'm saying I'm "welcome" it; I welcome the vision from Microsoft and like me a lot of Xbox owner will (again, speculation). Knowing that my Xbox is part of the main eco-system and my game can be playable on all devices, it will make me buy more of those devices.

I know nobody from my Xbox friends that are pissed or annoyed by that. Majority do not care and some others (including myself) are actually welcoming the idea... Again, the majority of people "complaining" are not even interested into the Xbox brand at all... And this is the reason of the OP, Internet.. Haters being able to just bitch anomalously…

I'm not really interested in the Xbox brand and i think its a good idea

foxtail said:
archer9234 said:

Here's a question. Was their a huge backlash when Halo 1 or 2 came to PC? At that point, the Internet was nearly what it is today. Minus social media.

Bad example though.  Halo was originally intended as a Mac/PC game with no console version named.  The game was even revealed at Macworld 1999, and the Xbox version came about when MS bought Bungie.  The backlash back then was from Mac fans who lost one of their most supportive developers.

Halo 2 was also released ~2½ years later on the PC after the Xbox version.

Nobody was really talking about Halo until it came to Xbox though. Even though PC was the original plan that isn't a guarantee of a PC port. But since it was acquired by a company that makes PC games, it happened.

Mac gamers are a small audience so there was little backlash. It like when Wii U fans complained about cancelled games, few care and more have access to it on other platforms.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)