By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why didnt Sega get the backlash MS does?

Because gamers weren't sitting around bitching on the internet NEARLY as much as they do now.

Around the Network

Sega is a gaming company who catered to its audience and the gaming industry as a whole. Microsoft is a software company who got into the console market to spite Sony for refusing to use Microsoft's software in the PlayStation 2. There. Someone had to say it.

Internet wasn't a thing back then, which is pretty much the main contributor to why companies receive major backlash whenever they do something wrong these days.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Imaginedvl said:
Swordmasterman said:

Isn't good for Xbox One's Onwers, they supported the Console, and this harm their investiment, because Xbox One, will sell less with those moves.

That's my point... I'm a Xbox One owner and non-Xbox owner sees this as a "problem" for us while we are not (talking for the majority here I'm pretty sure)...
Not even bringing the "double" standard of people who also complained a while ago with the 360 about Microsoft getting some third party exclusives and how bad it was for the "consumers", those same people are just bashing Microsoft now for their Windows PC oppening...

And I support the system to play my games on my Xbox One and I do not see anything in what Microsoft is doing that is going to harm that in any way. Actually I see this as an extension to it to bring more people to their franchise and their ecosystem. All good for me.

I feel my investment is just getting better and better values when they are doing that. At some point I even hope for the next Xbox and PC to use the same thing (being a Steam box but with the Microsoft/Xbox Live ecosystem). Windows 10 or Xbox One, I'm not interrested in the "hardware" itself but the Microsoft ecosystem, extending that is just perfect :) I want my Halo games, my Microsoft account, etc. to be available on all my devices (Xbox One or not...).

This settles it, you are Interested in Microsoft's Products, and not  just in the Xbox One, for a Microsoft point of view this might be a good thing, but for Xbox's Point of view, this will harm the console, people purchase console waiting games for it, PS4, is getting a lot of exclusives only because of Companies's Own Will, like King of Fighters, Nier Automata, and other games exclusive for PS4, because those companies wanted this way, if Microsoft, cannot ensure that they will make their own games, so the World is Doomed, they are the ones who have the most money to do this,launching games for PC, will not make Microsoft, produce more games, will only bring them nearly the same money or even less, but this time without the necessity of Hardware.

This means less Third Party support for Xbox One, and only because the game will launch for PC, does not means that will came for Xbox, only because they use "Windows", is just a OS, the port of the game need to came from the Developers, and they will still need to make the port for the console, i don't see how this can benefit Xbox One's Owners, if is for more people in the Multiplayer Lobby, they already have enought, and  would grow more without exclusives coming for PC, this was the only positive thing i could think about the  Xbox One, and PC Integration.

And the biggest problem is that now all Microsoft's games will be made for 2 Plataform,  more Development work, and less optimization for the Xbox One, because will also need to make the PC Port.

John2290 said:

Children having mass access to the Internet back then was non existant. A small place it was, full of patient people...very, very patient people.

People had to be Patient otherwise they would die, the Internet was Much slower than it is now.

Around the Network

Probably because the Internet is not as accessible as it is today

Complaints would be shared among people you knew and people across the world would not hear about that :p

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Hiku said:
Imaginedvl said:

That's my point... I'm a Xbox One owner and non-Xbox owner sees this as a "problem" for us while we are not (talking for the majority here I'm pretty sure)...
Not even bringing the "double" standard of people who also complained a while ago with the 360 about Microsoft getting some third party exclusives and how bad it was for the "consumers", those same people are just bashing Microsoft now for their Windows PC oppening...

And I support the system to play my games on my Xbox One and I do not see anything in what Microsoft is doing that is going to harm that in any way. Actually I see this as an extension to it to bring more people to their franchise and their ecosystem. All good for me.

I feel my investment is just getting better and better values when they are doing that. At some point I even hope for the next Xbox and PC to use the same thing (being a Steam box but with the Microsoft/Xbox Live ecosystem). Windows 10 or Xbox One, I'm not interrested in the "hardware" itself but the Microsoft ecosystem, extending that is just perfect :) I want my Halo games, my Microsoft account, etc. to be available on all my devices (Xbox One or not...).

How is your investment (XBO) getting better value when they port games over to PC? Don't understand what you are refering to here.

But to go on what the person you quoted was talking about, sales, the more a console sells, the more games it gets. And the more games it will get that the other systems will not, even without having to pay for exclusivity.

Because you see the investment in the hardware not in the ecosystem. I'm not investing in the device itself... I have all my games on Xbox 360, One or Windows PC.

Since when having games also available on PC makes consoles useless or sell less? This is just speculations.
Do you really think so many people bought the Playstation 4 because of exlcusives? And not because it was just cheaper at first and even at even price with better capabilities and same support form third parties than any other platform out there?

My Xbox One will not stop being able to run any game just because they are available on PC.

I mean, if you assume that exculsives are the main selling points for consoles; I definetly understand where you are coming from. But I just don't believe it the case.

So I'm back to my point; I'm investing in Microsoft eco-system, not in a single piece of hardware. And that's Microsoft vision too I believe.

Swordmasterman said:
Imaginedvl said:

This settles it, you are Interested in Microsoft's Products, and not  just in the Xbox One, for a Microsoft point of view this might be a good thing, but for Xbox's Point of view, this will harm the console, people purchase console waiting games for it, PS4, is getting a lot of exclusives only because of Companies's Own Will, like King of Fighters, Nier Automata, and other games exclusive for PS4, because those companies wanted this way, if Microsoft, cannot ensure that they will make their own games, so the World is Doomed, they are the ones who have the most money to do this,launching games for PC, will not make Microsoft, produce more games, will only bring them nearly the same money or even less, but this time without the necessity of Hardware.

Yes for your point about the "box" itself; I concede that :) This move may not be the most beneficial for sure. But that's not what Microsoft is aiming for, their vision is about the eco-system.

This means less Third Party support for Xbox One, and only because the game will launch for PC, does not means that will came for Xbox, only because they use "Windows", is just a OS, the port of the game need to came from the Developers, and they will still need to make the port for the console, i don't see how this can benefit Xbox One's Owners, if is for more people in the Multiplayer Lobby, they already have enought, and  would grow more without exclusives coming for PC, this was the only positive thing i could think about the  Xbox One, and PC Integration.

And the biggest problem is that now all Microsoft's games will be made for 2 Plataform,  more Development work, and less optimization for the Xbox One, because will also need to make the PC Port.

Why is that? While it may requires more work (I mean after all they need to optimize for both platform and one of them supports a lot of different hardware); third parties are ALREADY doing that. There is nothing new here. Why would it be different with Microsoft openly supporting that from the start? (and actually providing better unified tools to develop for WU API, Xbox and Direct X which may speed up the process and optimization at the end).

.......not worth comparing, even if I limit myself to the 2 decades that have passed between now and then as the primary reason. Sorry.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Imaginedvl said:
Swordmasterman said:

Yes for your point about the "box" itself; I concede that :) This move may not be the most beneficial for sure. But that's not what Microsoft is aiming for, their vision is about the eco-system.

Why is that? While it may requires more work (I mean after all they need to optimize for both platform and one of them supports a lot of different hardware); third parties are ALREADY doing that. There is nothing new here. Why would it be different with Microsoft openly supporting that from the start? (and actually providing better unified tools to develop for WU API, Xbox and Direct X which may speed up the process and optimization at the end).

With some few Exceptions, Third party games are not better than Exclusives, this is because they focus on what will sell consoles, the Exclusives, and work just in 1 Version,  you can only attain such Quality when you are working just for the Game, and don't have to worry to port the game for others Plataforms.

And about your comment up there, the Price is important, but isn't All, they don't purchased PS4, because was Cheaper, is because of the Games, and Exclusives as well, PS3, sold more than Xbox 360, in the same time, and was Twice the Price, LittleBigPlanet, Uncharted, and Demon Souls, helped it to sell, you can see the jump that Hardwares have when Exclusives come out, the Games are what sell consoles, and if is exclusive for 1 Plataform, this sell more Consoles.

And, other reason that the PS4, is selling so much is  because the console is the Main Standart for Third Party Developers, the console receive more support, than Xbox One, and Wii U, and is all thanks to its Install-Base, and the Install-base, is thanks to Sony's Decision to stay as a Traditional Home Console, with Exclusives, without any Mandatory, while Xbox One, was launching games for PC, had a Aways Online Mandatory, and was 500US$ because of Kinect.

The Wii U, have good Exclusives, but the console don't sell because only launch 1 Game each 2-3 Months, and have a Poor name that confuse consumers, while PS4, for example, have a lot of Exclusives, and a lot of Third Party Support.