By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo releasing mobile app Good idea or a sign of weakness?

If it's a sign of weakness, Square Enix, Capcom, and many other game devs are pretty weak then. :) It's totally okay and I'm okay with it. As an entertainment company, especially a entertainment company based on technology, you have to pay attention to trends in order to stay relevant. What if Apple kept using command prompts for computers instead of Graphical User Interfaces? What if a major food chain only accepted cash and no credit/debit cards? You have to adapt to the times and slowly but surely, Nintendo is trying to do just that. But when they do it, they'll make sure to do it their own way which is always a plus in my book.

Around the Network

Its obviously a good sign. People need to understand that Nintendo isn't the 'king' of shit anymore. This isn't NES or SNES days where they reigned supreme. The world WILL move on without them if they keep acting stubborn.

considering this is the first time ive seen something Ninty related trend on Twitter in some time, i would say good idea

i don't think it's either, it seems to have come from a lot of pressure from investors. They've been saying this for many years now. It is good for Nintendo to flesh themselves out a bit to shield themselves from possible failures in other areas.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

It was too long in coming, and the same can be said for the other methods of raising IP awareness. Having said that, releasing Miitomo now, 6 months or a year ahead (depending which camp you're in) of the NX sounds like it could be good timing to me. There are a lot of people out there who will remember making a Mii for themselves during the Wii era, so it gives time to get Nintendo back into peoples' minds ahead of the next hardware release.

Good idea in principle, yes, but whether it's a great idea depends on how it is handled going forward.

Around the Network

Would be funny if the first NX info came from Nintendo themselves through Miitomo.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

It's Great, long long overdue. They have isolated themselves for too long from markets with hundreds of millions of users that Nintendo could be getting a constant revenue stream from.

Ljink96 said:
If it's a sign of weakness, Square Enix, Capcom, and many other game devs are pretty weak then. :) It's totally okay and I'm okay with it. As an entertainment company, especially a entertainment company based on technology, you have to pay attention to trends in order to stay relevant. What if Apple kept using command prompts for computers instead of Graphical User Interfaces? What if a major food chain only accepted cash and no credit/debit cards? You have to adapt to the times and slowly but surely, Nintendo is trying to do just that. But when they do it, they'll make sure to do it their own way which is always a plus in my book.

Although I respect your opinion and actually agree with the jist of it I did want to clarify what I personally meant when I wrote 'sign of weakness' and I just want to make sure you understood my position. I do agree that making the app is a great idea , I was referring to Nintendo claiming they would NEVER make their IP's accessible through another hardware partner and with investors demanding it my question was whether or not the idea of the mobile app was exclusively appeasing the investors "weakness" or just happened to be the right time for them to strike. Either way thanks for awesome reply 

gamertag Brainteeth

psn Brainteeth

ios Brainteeth

Nintendo Network Brainteeth

Instagram Brainteeth

Several of my friends actually downloaded it 0.0

spydeewhydee said:

Snyps!!! it's Andyroo

YO!