By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Pachter: Lame Games like TLG and Shenmue 3 Won't Sell Many Units

it seems that some people here don't know that the last guardian is also a very awaited game for years, it wasn't just revealed at last E3, it has been on development from many years and shown many times among the years so it also gained a hype among the community, they aren't going to sell "mind blowing" units like COD but they are going to sell well because of the hype they gathered.

like someone said games like this are the reason why the PlayStation brand is so popular, they have diversity in their titles and they don't only go with the "pew pew explosion FPS action, secured sales path" that companies like microsoft only strikes for, sony gives priority to less popular/niche games like bloodborne, until dawn, tearaway, etc so the gaming minority who prefers those kind of games goes with the PS brand instead of other brands.

Around the Network

I kinda agree with Patcher apart from him calling them "lame games". Ico and Shadow of the Colossus didn't sell very well and they were on the PS2. The Last Guardian may do better since it will probably have more attention around it, but I don't expect it to be much more and to be honest out of all the footage shown so far the game looks kinda boring to me.

Shenmue III could possibly do well, but the only way I see it happening is if Sega re-releases Shenmue I and II somewhere, since not very many people played the original and it's very hard to play the original unless you emulate or you're one of the very few people who still have a Dreamcast. But if Shenmue I and II get re-released, I expect Shemue III to get a lot of sales due to all the hype around it. Sega would honestly be very foolish not to release a Shenmue HD collection before Shenmue III.

Wii U NNID:  CWegzz
3DS Friend Code:  4210-5277-5484
PSN:  Ronnoc4
Steam:  CWegz

twintail said:
He's talking about potential sales, so I don't see any problem. It's not like he is wrong here, for the most part.

Tabathedfield said:
Pavolink said:
Pachter is right, once again.

once again? from what i've read he is always wrong about everything.

but anyways not surprising that you have said that, according to what you only like...

He's joking.

OT:

Calling those games lame because they won't have big sales is... lame. The 1 thing I like the most about PS is its varied library. Not many 10 or even 5 million sellers but why does that matter when there's something for nearly everyone?

One person favors Bloodborne and Gravity Rush. Another favors The Last of Us and God of War. A third Gran Turismo and Driveclub. A fourth LittleBigPlanet and Everybody's Golf. A fifth The Last Guardian and Tearaway. A sixth Uncharted and Infamous. Etc.

Personally, I enjoy many of them.

Swordmasterman said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
The Last Guardian needs to sell well to justify the length of its development. That timeframe is insane. Square wants Final Fantasy to sell 10 million copies and the timeframe of development was insane.

They just want 10 Millions, they don't need 10 Millions, Tabata once stated that the Game's Budge isn't much different from other western games like The Witcher 3, he also Stated that the game don't have a Budge like GTA V. they canceled Final Fantasy XIII Versus, and started once again, so the Development costs are not that much, isn't 10 years of development, because they started again, so is like 3-4 Years of Development, and Final Fantasy, have several tittles that sold nearly 10 Millions of units.

You do not fund a game for almost (if not fully) a decade and not expect quality in yourself and not expect profit. They will need to market the shit out of the last guardian. They cannot justify the length of its development without taking the dive. It needs to make its money back and then some or else it was just a waste of time. GTA will always sell 20-30 million copies, they are excempt from a lot of peoples arguments. Not to mention the last guardian is an exclusive, so I doubt sony is expecting final fantasy numbers (unless the game is capable of reaching such a crowd (which i doubt). Final Fantasy should make its return with enough media hype or else a huge amount of wind will be knocked out of Square Enix. Final Fantasy saved Square from going under once and they are trying to make sure lightening strikes twice.

Around the Network

This guy has no respect for the video game industry. He's a sad bandwagoner who supports the games that sell. As a business man, you want your game to sell. But if you're just a douche that comments on games without any understanding of how or why they're made, you have no business talking critically about videogames. He's the type of idiot that would have dogged out Pokemon Red and Green upon their initial poor release and take all his words back when he found out it would end up selling 30+ milllion units. This guy blows, hard too.

So I guess Pachter is just a troll.

"So they studio that made two back to back cult classics that both simultaneously redefine and transcend genres? Their next game is clearly going to be lame."

Apply the same comment to both games, and both will be accurate.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Taking potshots at both of these titles is pretty brave though, you gotta give him that!

Can we just paint him with a brush so we don't have to deal with him anymore?

Let's give him a title that is accurate and reducing.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Swordmasterman said:

They just want 10 Millions, they don't need 10 Millions, Tabata once stated that the Game's Budge isn't much different from other western games like The Witcher 3, he also Stated that the game don't have a Budge like GTA V. they canceled Final Fantasy XIII Versus, and started once again, so the Development costs are not that much, isn't 10 years of development, because they started again, so is like 3-4 Years of Development, and Final Fantasy, have several tittles that sold nearly 10 Millions of units.

You do not fund a game for almost (if not fully) a decade and not expect quality in yourself and not expect profit. They will need to market the shit out of the last guardian. They cannot justify the length of its development without taking the dive. It needs to make its money back and then some or else it was just a waste of time. GTA will always sell 20-30 million copies, they are excempt from a lot of peoples arguments. Not to mention the last guardian is an exclusive, so I doubt sony is expecting final fantasy numbers (unless the game is capable of reaching such a crowd (which i doubt). Final Fantasy should make its return with enough media hype or else a huge amount of wind will be knocked out of Square Enix. Final Fantasy saved Square from going under once and they are trying to make sure lightening strikes twice.

Once again, Final Fantasy 13 Versus, was cancelled, they  had to do everything again, changes the History and  some things, changed the name for the game have a bigger budget, and the Director once stated that the Game, don't have a different budget than The Witcher 3, or Metal Gear Solid V, the game might had 100-120 Millions of Budget, i think.