By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Pachter: Lame Games like TLG and Shenmue 3 Won't Sell Many Units

BraLoD said:

PS2 era game? LOL.

Animations are top notch and it's by far the most beautiful game of its kind.

Also the biggest hand made game world to date.

Some people goes to ridiculous lenghts to be haters

i can't handle this much nonsense.
okay i'll admit it. final fantasy is an gen9 era game. 
how could i be so stupid and did not put it in the same category as destiny and the division. the new open world, rpg lootfarm meta, where it belongs...

yes some people go to ridiculous lenghts 

Around the Network

The Last Guardian might not sell GTAV sales but it will still sell at least 1 million i think. Shenmue 3 is harder to predict... i say maybe 500k Its just not as popular as The Last Guardian but the fanbase is at least as passionate.
But they will sell in Japan which i think Pachter completely forgot about. He doesn't think consoles do anything in Japan even though PS4 has been selling quite alright in Japan, and these games are going to bring in even more Japanese gamers. Just imagine FFXV and all these huge Japanese titles. Persona 5 etc. There is no way that PS4 isn't going to be pretty big in Japan and boost the sales of all of these games by a considerable margin.

Ka-pi96 said:
Gotta agree with him here. Really don't get the appeal of TLG. Just seems like a niche bargain bin kind of game to me. If it wasn't for the fact that it's infamous for being delayed so much would anyone even care?

Hmm.. I wonder why people cared when Ico and SotC released. Those games didn't receive a long delay.

ICO - Global Total as of 26th Mar 2016 (units): 0.47m
Platform: PlayStation 2
Developer: Team ICO

Shadowof the Colossus - Global Total as of 26th Mar 2016 (units): 1.14m

The ICO Collection - Global Total as of 26th Mar 2016 (units): 1.32m
Platform: PlayStation 3
Developer: Bluepoint Games

Even if only a few people (still over 1 mill) enjoy these games why not be glad that they're made and be glad that Fumito Ueda is able to make what he loves. I think it's admirably that Sony still greenlights these "niche" projects even though they don't make a huge turnover.

Mike_L said:
Ka-pi96 said:
Gotta agree with him here. Really don't get the appeal of TLG. Just seems like a niche bargain bin kind of game to me. If it wasn't for the fact that it's infamous for being delayed so much would anyone even care?

Hmm.. I wonder why people cared when Ico and SotC released. Those games didn't receive a long delay.

Even if only a few people (still over 1 mill) enjoy these games why not be glad that they're made and be glad that Fumito Ueda is able to make what he loves. I think it's admirably that Sony still greenlights these "niche" projects even though they don't make a huge turnover.

You could make a strong argument that Sony (PlayStation) does as well as it does by the large, because they have a higher risk tolerance and cater to diversity or variety.

Well Patcher is lame so :P

Around the Network
aLkaLiNE said:
Mike_L said:

You could make a strong argument that Sony (PlayStation) does as well as it does by the large, because they have a higher risk tolerance and cater to diversity or variety.

Exactly my thoughts.

The Last Guardian is lame? Tell him to go play Shadow of the Collosus :p

Own:Nes,Snes,N64,Gamecube,Wii,WiiU,Gameboy Pocket,Gameboy Advance SP,DS,DSi,3DS XL,Sega Genesis,Sega Dreamcast,PS1,PS2,PS3,PSP,PSVita and Xbox 360.

Looking to get: Original Xbox 

A significant portion of my soul died with the first "SMT X FE" footage reveal.

Add me on PSN: afnanthekooltrex 

Check out my YouTube channel:  

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzZ6P0251NWOf7WUTsHmw_Q

I wonder if pachter ever read these threads

We have this idiot who keeps telling us everything’s doomed and he’s gaming analyst expert and we know he’s lying, but he’s smooth at telling us.

Areaz32 said:
The Last Guardian might not sell GTAV sales but it will still sell at least 1 million i think. Shenmue 3 is harder to predict... i say maybe 500k Its just not as popular as The Last Guardian but the fanbase is at least as passionate.
But they will sell in Japan which i think Pachter completely forgot about. He doesn't think consoles do anything in Japan even though PS4 has been selling quite alright in Japan, and these games are going to bring in even more Japanese gamers. Just imagine FFXV and all these huge Japanese titles. Persona 5 etc. There is no way that PS4 isn't going to be pretty big in Japan and boost the sales of all of these games by a considerable margin.

See....this right here is why Pachter is right (at least this once). TLG is going to have to push more than a million to justify its lengthy development schedule. Its definitely not going to push consoles but it better sell well or else someones going to pay. It might severely hurt Japan Studios chances of survival.