By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Pachter: Lame Games like TLG and Shenmue 3 Won't Sell Many Units

Pachter is probably right these games will not be multi-million selling games but they are games that remind all of us that games are art that is why these games were made that is why these games developed cult followings that's why when you announce these games decades later people get excited that's why these games will never let the industry forget that GAMES ARE ART

Around the Network

TLG and Shenmue 3 could easily wind up being disappointing games. TLG has been in development for nearly ten years now. I give TLG a 70% chance of being an epic game. Shenmue's gameplay might not hold up by current industry standards.

He actually called them lame, Michael Patcher you savage (he may be right but I can't take him seriously

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Areaz32 said:

No TLG didn't have outrageous resource demands. Sony is the publisher so that means approx $33 of the initial $60 is what they make on each sale (from retail) and development of the game is not even touching anything the likes of FFXV. FFXV has been excessive in its development budget.

The last guardian has a relatively small team working on it. I mean its almost 2 times Hellogames in size which is nothing. Sure they may have hired more after 2012 where they moved to PS4 but it is a low budget AAA title compared to games from the Uncharted series or the Killzone series.

FFXV is in the hundreds of millions to develop, i would be surprised if The Last Guardian is anywhere near the 30-35 million mark.

Im not saying the game will need anywhere near the sales of FFXV but rather it will need to make a profit to justify its similar timeframe. This seems to be Sony Japans largest venture to date and was outpaced by the likes of even knack and that made a profit. It says it reached 1.6 million copies sold over here, so it might be slightly more in reality. Much like Square with Final Fantasy, the ICO franchises seem to be Sony Japan's baby and it seemed worth it to keep it alive rather than trashing it. Regardless, everything has a price. 

The game development resources don't just scale with time. The game had essentially been frozen in development for years and years where there weren't any money put into the project. The fact that they had to rehire their director didn't increase the cost particularly.

The game was already a relatively small size production the fact that they might have to increase the budget by 50% is still nowhere near FFXV. 

1 million in sales would be enough to cover the costs to make back what they have spent i am 100% sure.

walterbates said:

“Unfortunately, though, Nintendo has such a huge following 

I think nintendo used to have a huge following.  look at wii U sales.  only 12 million hardcore nintendo fans following them.

Around the Network
Areaz32 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Im not saying the game will need anywhere near the sales of FFXV but rather it will need to make a profit to justify its similar timeframe. This seems to be Sony Japans largest venture to date and was outpaced by the likes of even knack and that made a profit. It says it reached 1.6 million copies sold over here, so it might be slightly more in reality. Much like Square with Final Fantasy, the ICO franchises seem to be Sony Japan's baby and it seemed worth it to keep it alive rather than trashing it. Regardless, everything has a price. 

The game development resources don't just scale with time. The game had essentially been frozen in development for years and years where there weren't any money put into the project. The fact that they had to rehire their director didn't increase the cost particularly.

The game was already a relatively small size production the fact that they might have to increase the budget by 50% is still nowhere near FFXV. 

1 million in sales would be enough to cover the costs to make back what they have spent i am 100% sure.

They didnt freeze development for years. Look it up. Everytime the media thought the game was dead Sony reassured everyone that it wasnt. The game was just stuck in a funded development hell. This game was one of the hardest tasks Sony Japan has ever taken. Next gen expectations plus the ICO pedigree leaves a lot to live up to. Also yes, the money for these types of games generally runs out after 3 to four years which means the budget was either doubled or tripled.

TheGoldenBoy said:
In other news: water is wet.

Seriously though, I don't think anyone realistically expects much from TLG or Shenmue 3 in terms of sales. The expectations for those games come from their expected critical reception.

Shenmue should be fine. TLG will have to sell to justify its development schedule.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Areaz32 said:

They didnt freeze development for years. Look it up. Everytime the media thought the game was dead Sony reassured everyone that it wasnt. The game was just stuck in a funded development hell. This game was one of the hardest tasks Sony Japan has ever taken. Next gen expectations plus the ICO pedigree leaves a lot to live up to. Also yes, the money for these types of games generally runs out after 3 to four years which means the budget was either doubled or tripled.

What?! "Funded development hell" you are just guessing at this point.

Sony only came out and said "it is not cancelled".

Shuhei himself said that the game development was put on hold for a period, and it was then picked up again for PS4. Get your facts straight. The next gen expectation makes little sense since it was made to be on last gen, so it could never have been a consumer expectation.

The budget was not doubled or tripled because that would imply that the development was finished two or three times in man hours which it weren't since the director went independent and left the project.

You can't tell me that the game was in full development when even the director wasn't present on the project.

Fumito Ueda is the type of person who wants to do everything himself.

He designed the IK animation solutions in the previous games along with being the lead writer and game designer.

Not only that but i believe he was instrumental to the HDR lighting from Shadow of the colossus.

$30 million of development costs is 1.5 times the cost of Uncharted 2, and it means it would need to break 1 million in sales to gain back what they had paid for it, and then anything above would be extra profit by todays industry standards.

He thinks the games are lame, what's your problem with that?

It's his opinion, and you know what? Many agree.

Sick of vgchartz turning into a Youtube comments-like section whenever someone says something we don't like.

This guy is ten different kinds of stupid...

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261