By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - (APRIL'S FOOLS!) "Nintendo should make a transgender Link in the new Zelda game"

Tagged games:

I hope they do it and call it Link too. Link male and Link trans will be the same while Linkle remains as a spin off character

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network
Shiken said:
This better be an April Fool's joke because this is an even more stupid idea than a female Link...which is already stupid enough.

What's so stupid about it? I actually embrace the idea; a different Link would give the franchise some variety in its identity.

I love April Fool's.

Love the source and the author too.

He should be a fish.

Plot Twist: Every Link is transgender already. Just not the gender some people want.

Love and tolerate.

Around the Network

It's unfair,April's Fools day happens only once a year and that one day I don't have access to my PC so that I can make a proper Fake thread...

Wright said:
mornelithe said:
Still don't understand the obsession with taking already established characters and twisting them to suit a social narrative. I would think creating new characters with new stories would be something the LGBT community could get into more. It just feels like a shallow attempt at being inclusive imo.

And why exactly is it a heterosexual woman, telling a dev, what a community she isn't part of wants? Wouldn't the appropriate thing be to hire LGBT artists/writers/etc... to create what they want? Dunno, it doesn't impact me greatly, because I don't really play Zelda games anymore...but, it doesn't come across as very genuine to just co-opt existing characters.

It's not a social narrative. It's the fact that Nintendo seems stuck with the "standard male save-the-day hero" instead of, you know, acknowledging there are diverse people that could take his place instead. Linkle was a start, now they have to keep that path, but doesn't seem they want to, judging what we know about ZeldaU.

It IS a social narrative, and let's be crystal clear here, everytime an LGBT, or PoC character is written you get the avalanche of 'written by a white dude' (even though, you know, where Nintendo is concerned, the vast majority were written by PoC) critiques.  So, hire LGBT workers who can create realistic characters, they can relate to.  Nothing wrong with that.  But, you're not exactly giving that LGBT individual any kind of freedom when you force them to wrap Hyrule around it.  A new world, new universe etc... gives them the freedom to create whatever they want to.  Instead of, you know, trying to make it automatically profitable by using the Zelda name.

As far as the 'standard male save the day hero' blah blah blah, seriously, broaden your horizons, there are thousands of different types of games and stories out there (Hi, Metroid called, and says your narrative is shite).  Just like there are with books (and yes, they still write books where a guy saves the day), and movies (same).  Somehow, there's room for all to co-exist in books and movies, but not in games, eh?  In games a guy saving the day, well goddamn we have to do something about that right?  Not, you know, create our own unique characters, we need to take everyone else's away.  Now that's what I call inclusive, that's what I call adding something positive to the industry.

As I said, hire LGBT writers/directors etc... give them free reign.  And you can try to explain it however you want, but I'll never understand taking an established character and wrapping a narrative around it, other than for what it is.  Trying to get the game to be profitable before it even launches by latching onto an established name.  

Shiken said:
This better be an April Fool's joke because this is an even more stupid idea than a female Link...which is already stupid enough.

I wouldn't mind Linkle being optional.

As long as 'he' is a female to male TG, it would be OK!

But Samus is already a transexual. Nintendo should make Link bisexual, just to keep things unique.