By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rumor: New PS4k/PS4.5 leak via NeoGAF - GPU twice as powerful, dev kits already in developers' hands, $399-$499

celador said:
Sounds like a bigger increase than I was expecting. Disappointing to hear the amount of games targeting it as 'significant' too. Of course, it will make very little difference to the regular PS4 experience than if it didn't exist, but knowing there is a better machine out there can frustrate.

I normally buy two PS consoles a generation anyway. I guess I will exhaust all the games released beforehand and then make the transition when the price has decreased. This is likely to be the start of a recurring strategy for PS and Xbox too going forward.

I mean, let's face it, the best PS4 exclusive that will ever be released will be released before May 11th anyway, so this won't have any impact on that.

Talking about Ratchet & Clank of course. It releases April 12th, waaay before May 11th.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:

PS4k in the area of performance, of a Nvidia Geforce 970 ?

Not bad for a 499$ console.

If you want to buy a new Geforce 970, your looking at like 330$.

A console this powerfull for 499$ is a decent price.

Nah, it's probably more like 380X (which has around 4TFLOPS)...970 is more like 3x PS4, depending on the game benched. 380X goes currently as low as $200.

2x GPU is still not enough for 4K UHD with the same settings as in 1080p, but it should be enough for 1920x2160p anamorphic...either that or 1080p with higher settings.

I think this is legit and it is exactly what i have been expecting. Twice the graphics power to get any PS4 to 1080p 60 fps for VR and a 4K Blu-Ray player and possible upscaling capability. A PS4k is ideal marketing and i've been expecting a slightly more powerfull version ever since project Morpheus was announced.

Anyone else thinking this is going to be the biggest mistake Sony have ever made with the PS brand?

man i am so hyped for this new model

Around the Network
sully1311 said:
Anyone else thinking this is going to be the biggest mistake Sony have ever made with the PS brand?

Depends completely on how they handle it. It's not a bad idea in theory, but depending on how it's implemented will determine if it is detrimental to the PS brand.

sully1311 said:
Anyone else thinking this 'could' be the biggest mistake Sony have ever made with the PS brand?

Now I agree.

The PS5 Exists. 

nanarchy said:
Twice the GPU power? that pretty well confirms it is fake as you won't be running games at 4k with only twice the GPU power unless you want to be watching a slideshow.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=215144&page=1

HylianYoshi said:
That's fake. If otherwise, someone needs to be punched in the face for this.

if it would have been fake Sony would have came out and denied it or said its just slim model or something. Kotaku asked Sony if its true and they didnt want to give an answer. For almost a week now we havent gotten an answer by Sony for a serious rumor.

sully1311 said:

Like the PS2 which played all your PS1 libabry?

This is even more consumer friendly as PS1 owners couldnt enjoy PS2 games. 

Jicale said:
If true, who would buy the PS5 at release date? Just sit back, wait for the next gen game catalogue to build and buy the PS5.5 mid gen.

I think this is what people don't get. 

When the PS5 drops, you will still be able to play PS5 games on your PS4. Albeit just running at 720p@30fps or less with IQ set to minimum. 

What we are seeing here is the beginning of scalable consoles. 

Aerys said:
Unless they offer to take our current PS4 and buy the new one for not more than 100 euros, they could go fuck themselves if that's true.

Damn this is so representative of my feelings, I am so lost towards this rumor.