By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Media Create Sales: Week 12, 2016 (Mar 21 - Mar 27)

Soundwave said:
CloudLightning13 said:

Probably you missed it but the producer said that the PS4 and 3DS versions will come out the same day.

I don't see it happening. It doesn't really make a lot of sense financially either, it would be better to space them out. 

From Square Enix's point of view, it's better for them if more people buy the PS4 version than if more people buy the 3DS version, because home console games have a higher retail price. Therefore it would be better for them if the PS4 version "stole" sales from the 3DS version than vice versa, so it makes little sense to release the 3DS version first. It also doesn't really make sense to release the PS4 version first, because it's better to release them both at the same time because you won't have to create new hype with marketing for the second version's release; you can just market both in the time before the dual release.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
CloudLightning13 said:

So basically, you know better than Square Enix/ the producer? Seriously?

And it makes perfect sense to release them on same day financially because it means more money.

LOL what are you even saying?

It doesn't mean more money, it means more likely that people will choose one version over the other. If you space them out, more likely people will buy both. 

Ni No Kuni on DS is not a great example it was never going to sell a lot, DQXI on 3DS can sell 3-4 million copies alone. 

3-4 million copies alone on 3DS? After seeing Joker 3 numbers and generally 3DS numbers i don't see that. Maybe if there wasn't a PS4 version.

Also i have a different opinion regarding your first paragraph. It doesn't really make sense to me.

Teeqoz said:
Soundwave said:

I don't see it happening. It doesn't really make a lot of sense financially either, it would be better to space them out. 

From Square Enix's point of view, it's better for them if more people buy the PS4 version than if more people buy the 3DS version, because home console games have a higher retail price. Therefore it would be better for them if the PS4 version "stole" sales from the 3DS version than vice versa, so it makes little sense to release the 3DS version first. It also doesn't really make sense to release the PS4 version first, because it's better to release them both at the same time because you won't have to create new hype with marketing for the second version's release; you can just market both in the time before the dual release.

Sony bias up the ying yang here I see. 

3DS version will outsell the PS4 and likely will finish development earlier too. Wouldn't surprise me if the 3DS version could be ready for the holiday season in Japan this year (December). Probably not so much for the PS4/NX versions. 

User was moderated for this post ~ CGI-Quality

Teeqoz said:
Soundwave said:

Yep. The price point is an other important factor. The PS4 version will not cost lower than 8000 Yen, while the 3DS version will be maximun at 6000Yen. All the hype will be during the first day/first week. SE knows that and won't risk with a late release.

Soundwave said:
Teeqoz said:

3DS version will outsell the PS4 and likely will finish development earlier too. 

What?

I didn't literally mean that more people would buy the PS4 version, just that the more people buy the PS4 version instead of the 3DS version, the better for SE.

Financially it's better for SE if the PS4 version sells 1.5 million and the 3DS version sells 2.5 million, than if the 3DS version sells 3 million and the PS4 version sells 1 million, despite both scenarios having a total of 4 million copies sold.

Not bias, it's pretty basic logic.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
Teeqoz said:

3DS version will outsell the PS4 and likely will finish development earlier too. Wouldn't surprise me if the 3DS version could be ready for the holiday season in Japan this year (December). Probably not so much for the PS4/NX versions. 

So, just because we have a different opinion from yours you are saying ''SONY fanboys blah''.

Nice way of thinking there. If i knew from the start that you think like that, i wouldn't bother loosing time discussing with you.

Soundwave said:
CloudLightning13 said:

So basically, you know better than Square Enix/ the producer? Seriously?

And it makes perfect sense to release them on same day financially because it means more money.

LOL what are you even saying?

It doesn't mean more money, it means more likely that people will choose one version over the other. If you space them out, more likely people will buy both. 

Ni No Kuni on DS is not a great example it was never going to sell a lot, DQXI on 3DS can sell 3-4 million copies alone. 

It's the PS3 version that was the tragedy. Had they been released on the same day or around the same time they would have both profit from the same marketing push rather than splitting it or altogether focusing on the first version coming out like they did with Ni No Kuni. The hype was just completely gone by the time the PS3 version came out.

Teeqoz said:
Soundwave said:

3DS version will outsell the PS4 and likely will finish development earlier too. 

What?

I didn't literally mean that more people would buy the PS4 version, just that the more people buy the PS4 version instead of the 3DS version, the better for SE.

Financially it's better for SE if the PS4 version sells 1.5 million and the 3DS version sells 2.5 million, than if the 3DS version sells 3 million and the PS4 version sells 1 million, despite both scenarios having a total of 4 million copies sold.

Not bias, it's pretty basic logic.

It's hilariously biased logic. You do realize the PS4 version probably costs like 10x more develop than the 3DS version?

Also there's no rule written in stone that 6000 yen is the maximum SE can charge for DQXI on 3DS. They can charge what ever they want. 

It's even better if SE sells 3-4 million on the 3DS, then another 1.5-2 million on PS4/NX and they can achieve that most likely if they let Japan gorge itself on the 3DS release first, then go with round 2 on the PS4/NX versions. This is how SE operates these days anyway ... multiple FF sequels, FF7 being split into different parts ... they do this because they make more money. 

DS3 > Bloodbnorne launch
DOA extreme 3 > PSP or 360 predecessor launches
Nobunagas Ambition addon for 8800 yen sold half the numbers of the main game

awesome numbers and people say Japan is dying because they dont buy GTA for the 5th time LOL

Boutros said:
Soundwave said:

It's the PS3 version that was the tragedy. Had they been released on the same day or around the same time they would have both profit from the same marketing push rather than splitting it or altogether focusing on the first version coming out like they did with Ni No Kuni. The hype was just completely gone by the time the PS3 version came out.

DS version would also be a tragedy if not for the huge decline in price after the first week.

What really saved the game and created the sequel are the west sales.

But i do agree that if Level 5 would release PS3 and DS version on same day in Japan, the game would have a better fate.