By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What will be the size of the NX inner memory (storage capacity)?

What will be the size of the NX inner memory?

64-128 Gb. Home console. 64 24.24%

500 Gb. Home console. 85 32.20%

1T. Home console. 67 25.38%

2T. Home console. 12 4.55%

Infinite memory. 36 13.64%

Total:264
SpokenTruth said:
Cloudman said:
Knowing Ninten, they'll prolly do a silly low number like 100 GB.

I'm hoping they'll at least do 500 GB...

A 100 GB mechanical HDD would actually cost more than a 1 TB mechanical HDD because of production volume by the major manufacturers.

Lowest priced new 2.5" 100 GB HDD on Newegg is $67.95.
Lowest priced new 2.5" 1 TB HDD on Newegg is $49.99

If it's a flash based storage system, 256 GB would be minimum for much the same reason (volume of low capacity flash NAND chips). 

That would seem weird if having less space would be more expensive than more. Either way, I would hope they go with the larger option...

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network

I hope sweet fuck all.

All digital games shoudl go straight to external hdd. easier for me to manage that way. Plug and play from different drives and not worry about uninstalling.

They need QUALITY usb ports to power a portable drive.

They'll probably forget to put it in again.

SpokenTruth said:
Cloudman said:

That would seem weird if having less space would be more expensive than more. Either way, I would hope they go with the larger option...

It's about the production volume.  Manufacturers do not make many 100 GB drvies anymore so it cost a lot of money to ramp that production back up and distribute so few around the world.  HDDs in high production volume benefit from that high volume and larger distribution.

Capacity itself isn't really that big of an influence on the price of the HDDs.  Volume of production is.

Yeah, I figured the reasons you stated would be why having 100 GB as the amount of space would end up costing more than 500 GB or 1TB. Those are becoming the more standard sizes these days.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

64 Gig with USB drive support (again) from go street.

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
Cloudman said:

It's about the production volume.  Manufacturers do not make many 100 GB drvies anymore so it cost a lot of money to ramp that production back up and distribute so few around the world.  HDDs in high production volume benefit from that high volume and larger distribution.

Capacity itself isn't really that big of an influence on the price of the HDDs.  Volume of production is.

That's why I personally think that Nintendo will go with a solid-state drive like what the Wii U is using.  Physical size of console, power consumption and access times have always been a big concern to Nintendo and I think that they will opt for a smaller (100 GB) SSD as opposed to a disc-based storage that will need to have capacity in excess of 500GB to avoid supply issues.  500 GB is just overkill for most Nintendo gamers when games like SM3DW still only consume about 1 GB of space.

Hopefully, Nintendo will learn from their mistake with the Wii U and go for at least 500gb of internal storage. As long as an install of the game is NOT required on the hard drive then that should be sufficient.

Needs to be 2TB
Going to be 64GB

64- 128 GB

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Double the amount of Wii U.