By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Live Games With Gold For April

Bandorr said:
BMaker11 said:

XBOne getting Sunset, meanwhile, I'm told to "stop bitching" and I should "be happy I'm being exposed to newer styles of games" when PS+ gets nothing but 2D side scrollers and I ask "why isn't a game like KZ: Shadowfall on there yet?"

Indies are sweet and they do diversify the library, but let's not forget why people actually got PS+ prior to it being mandated for online: for the AAA games.

Good job on MS for raising the bar this month. Maybe it'll force Sony to react properly. Doubt it, since PS4 keeps selling more, but maybe if people get vocal on social media, Sony will stop BSing. And that, in turn, will force MS to keep releasing AAA games on GwG, and everyone ends up winning. 

I mean, would it really be so awful to put, say, Need For Speed: Rivals up? A launch game?

I got it / get it for games I do not have. Triple a games several years old? I either have them - or don't want them. Hey look at this month - I have all of those games. If I had GWG - this month would be a 100% wash.

Need For Speed: Rivals is almost three years old. If you wanted it - why didn't you get it? Do you really want an almost three year game simply because it is triple A?

So that you can try a new series without financial risk basically. 

I wouldn't have played witcher 2 without gwg and by extension, witcher 3. Which I bought day one and the expansion pass. It's now one of the best games I've ever played. 

Around the Network

That is definitely a great month, I haven't played either of those Xbox One games yet. I almost caved and bought Sunset Overdrive a few months ago...glad I waited! And the same thing happened with Lords of the Fallen this month.

Bandorr said:
BMaker11 said:

XBOne getting Sunset, meanwhile, I'm told to "stop bitching" and I should "be happy I'm being exposed to newer styles of games" when PS+ gets nothing but 2D side scrollers and I ask "why isn't a game like KZ: Shadowfall on there yet?"

Indies are sweet and they do diversify the library, but let's not forget why people actually got PS+ prior to it being mandated for online: for the AAA games.

Good job on MS for raising the bar this month. Maybe it'll force Sony to react properly. Doubt it, since PS4 keeps selling more, but maybe if people get vocal on social media, Sony will stop BSing. And that, in turn, will force MS to keep releasing AAA games on GwG, and everyone ends up winning. 

I mean, would it really be so awful to put, say, Need For Speed: Rivals up? A launch game?

I got it / get it for games I do not have. Triple a games several years old? I either have them - or don't want them. Hey look at this month - I have all of those games. If I had GWG - this month would be a 100% wash.

Need For Speed: Rivals is almost three years old. If you wanted it - why didn't you get it? Do you really want an almost three year game simply because it is triple A?

Need for Speed was just an example. But even still, I think saying "too old" is making excuses. "Oh, you want a 3 year old game? You can get it for $15. Whoever wants it, has it already".

But when people want a newer game: "you're asking for too much. That game just came out! You really expect them to give it away for free?".

So, basically, we shouldn't get any games, then. Even though that's a major selling point of PS+ (not so much GwG because Xbox owners have been paying for online for over a decade). Unless you see games like Shadow of Mordor or LBP3 coming soon (both about as old as Sunset).

But to answer your question, yes I would want a 3 year old game just because it was AAA. When we've been getting 95% 2D side scrolling games that are damn near the same, just with different stories.....a AAA would be refreshing, no matter how old. It's not a matter of "want" or "you can just go buy it in the bargain bin". IGC promised a mix of games (indie and AAA) and it's been pretty lopsided in the indie direction this whole gen so far. I may not have an XBOne, at the moment, but it's great to see that they're taking some initiative with the showing this month.

Bandorr said:
ironmanDX said:

I wouldn't have played witcher 2 without gwg and by extension, witcher 3. Which I bought day one and the expansion pass. It's now one of the best games I've ever played. 

So you rather risk your money on a subscription and "hope" to get a game you want to play. As opposed to just buying it in the first place?

Also I wouldn't say A $15 used/$20 new would be consider much of "financial risk". Specially when you can sell it, trade it, or return it.

Infact spending money on a service that gives you "random games" that you can't sell or refund seems far more of a finacial risk.

Risk money on a sub? Mate, I've had gold before even ps+was a thing.

Please. 

Amazing month! Have both games! Everyone should get them.

Around the Network
Bandorr said:
ironmanDX said:

So you rather risk your money on a subscription and "hope" to get a game you want to play. As opposed to just buying it in the first place?

Also I wouldn't say A $15 used/$20 new would be consider much of "financial risk". Specially when you can sell it, trade it, or return it.

Infact spending money on a service that gives you "random games" that you can't sell or refund seems far more of a finacial risk.

doubt many people are buying xbox live exclusively for GWG.  It's common sense that a large, large majority of people buy xbox live to play onilne, which has been the case for the majority of Xbox's life for all its consoles.  The GWG thing is just a nice bonus now.  

You aren't making much sense, imo.   

roborad said:
Bandorr said:

doubt many people are buying xbox live exclusively for GWG.  It's common sense that a large, large majority of people buy xbox live to play onilne, which has been the case for the majority of Xbox's life for all its consoles.  The GWG thing is just a nice bonus now.  

You aren't making much sense, imo.   

This.

Damn those "free" games.  The ONLY reason I have Gold and Plus is online play. The extra games are nice but never even a consideration when it came to paying $50+ per year, per service.

Tbone said:
poklane said:

That's an absolutely amazing month!

The PS4 titles for April already got leaked. Dead Star and The Park. Both games had their psn pre-orders canceled and Dead Star's developers outright confirmed it already.

You got a source for that?

https://www.reddit.com/r/PlayStationPlus/comments/4aj9if/could_the_park_be_aprils_2nd_ps4_title/

Mr Puggsly said:
d21lewis said:

Not trying to turn this into Sony vs M$ so I'll just say what I always say: when you're winning, you don't have to try as hard.

This gen, the PS4 is a runaway success. Things like free online or a ton of free top tier games are not what Sony has to do, these days. They don't have to win people over. That's why I always felt competition with other consoles is good. It made everyone try harder. Last gen, we all won.

Agreed.

People want Xbox to go away for some reason but that's the only thing encouraging Sony to be competitive and why PS4 was $299 during the holiday. Frankly, the last thing you want is your favorite console to be less competitive and therefore we need competition.

I dissagree, Sony can and will compete more with PC in the future. The recent rumors and the VR price are an idicator, for example they could have sold the PSVR at 800$ and say hey we are the only console manufacture having VR so deal with it. But they didnt

anyways great deal with SO

Bandorr said:
BMaker11 said:

NFS rivals was part of the sale just after new years too, think it was 8.99 for the standard version of it, just saying if you wanted cheap old AAA titles it's possible to net them from sales for the same price as a month of PSN+

As for the "free games are a bonus, most people pay for online" I pretty much only have my psn sub for the free games, twice since I've bought the system have I gone online to play, where I get value from these services is the free handful of games each month. I'm sure there are people who get more from each thing the services offer (there is also the weekly deals with gold or psn+ discounts on the stores which allow you to net games for less to offset the price of the service as well) I'm just saying blanket statements of "people don't pay for a service for X portion of it" aren't true, if they were then the companies wouldn't bother with that portion of the service at all.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive