Forums - PC Discussion - Atari Vault Reveals 100 Game Collection

masschamber said:
spurgeonryan said:
That is really cool. If they can get access to all these old developers, I wonder why companies like Nintendo struggle to do the same?

because atari developed and owns all of these games, as for nintendo not publishing huge collections, they choose not to. plus they don't own the rights to some of their early arcade games or so I've heard.

Remember sega, taito , midway, capcom, and snk have all done huge collections (shame snk and especially capcom struggle to remember they made games after 1993). Even data east made a solid collection on the wii. Blue Sky rangers does great intellivision collections now and again, activition has made a few great atari game collections.  Probably others I'm forgetting as well.  Nintendo hasn't because they probably think they can make more money charging 5 bucks for Urban Champion again.  Konami doesn't because... well we all know how they operate these days. 

I actually love those intellisvision, coleco, sega, and atari systems they sell every christmas with 100s of games on them.



    The NINTENDO PACT 2015[2016  Vgchartz Wii U Achievement League! - Sign up now!                      My T.E.C.H'aracter

Around the Network

Where the heck is Moon Patrol?



Alex_The_Hedgehog said:
Where the heck is Moon Patrol

Moon patrol is an irem game not atari. shame since the 2600 port is great

 



I HAVE A DOUBLE DRAGON CAB IN MY KITCHEN!!!!!!

NOW A PUNISHER CAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

masschamber said:
Alex_The_Hedgehog said:
Where the heck is Moon Patrol

Moon patrol is an irem game not atari. shame since the 2600 port is great

 

Ohh... That's a shame, I love the 2600 version of Moon Patrol =/



I had ATARI ST every time we played double dragon, u had to press spacebar at the right time just to play the game otherwise it wouldn't load, can u imagine that nowadays.



Around the Network

100 atari games.... so around 2mb of game code!

Still though, if this was priced right and comes to the consoles I could see myself grabbing it for the Vita, play some space invaders on the loo.



Fancy hearing me on an amateur podcast with friends gushing over one of my favourite games? https://youtu.be/1I7JfMMxhf8

I find this to be quite interesting. Once you read up on the history of Atari and many of these games' own history, it makes you appreciate them more. Yeah, they're crude (VCS/2600) versions, but they're pieces of priceless gaming history. I'll definitely pick this up even though I have the flashbacks.



The only real enjoyable (imo) way to play Atari 2600 games is on an actual Atari 2600 wood grain console hooked up to an old CRT with the original joystick.



Ganoncrotch said:
100 atari games.... so around 2mb of game code!

Still though, if this was priced right and comes to the consoles I could see myself grabbing it for the Vita, play some space invaders on the loo.

space invaders is a taito game, not going to appear here, shame because the 2600 port includes co-op

Ljink96 said:
I find this to be quite interesting. Once you read up on the history of Atari and many of these games' own history, it makes you appreciate them more. Yeah, they're crude (VCS/2600) versions, but they're pieces of priceless gaming history. I'll definitely pick this up even though I have the flashbacks.

Does include a few of the arcade games as well as the 2600 ports.  Plus a few arcade exclusives.

also Secret Quest, Fatal Run, Save Mary and a few other late 2600 games included are fairly complex games,  the 2600 was probably pushed further than any other console. Just compare spaceship to Radar Lock.

No Solaris is a bit strange.  It is probably the most ambitious  game on the console.



I HAVE A DOUBLE DRAGON CAB IN MY KITCHEN!!!!!!

NOW A PUNISHER CAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

masschamber said:
Ganoncrotch said:
100 atari games.... so around 2mb of game code!

Still though, if this was priced right and comes to the consoles I could see myself grabbing it for the Vita, play some space invaders on the loo.

space invaders is a taito game, not going to appear here, shame because the 2600 port includes co-op

Ljink96 said:
I find this to be quite interesting. Once you read up on the history of Atari and many of these games' own history, it makes you appreciate them more. Yeah, they're crude (VCS/2600) versions, but they're pieces of priceless gaming history. I'll definitely pick this up even though I have the flashbacks.

Does include a few of the arcade games as well as the 2600 ports.  Plus a few arcade exclusives.

also Secret Quest, Fatal Run, Save Mary and a few other late 2600 games included are fairly complex games,  the 2600 was probably pushed further than any other console. Just compare spaceship to Radar Lock.

No Solaris is a bit strange.  It is probably the most ambitious  game on the console.

yeah, Secret Quest was supposed to be near impossible on the 2600. It took some ingenuity and knowhow to make that one. Fatal Run was cool and Radar Lock's tilting screens were amazing for the 2600. It'd be easy to write these games off like many people here but when you understand what these coders were working with, it's just commendable. Never got to play the Arcade versions so that'll be a plus.