By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice Reviews - 31% RT

Turkish said:

Sometimes RT scores don't reflect how much a movie I liked.

Take SW episode 7 for example, it's just a remake, prettier, new names, that's all, very safe movie by the numbers, yet it has like 90%.

Man of Steel has a 56% btw, and I enjoyed it a lot.

So much this. I'm sure the movie will be fun to watch and that fans will be happy with it for the most part. Reviews really don't matter much, since their just other people's opinion and not your own.

Still gonna watch it day 1

Around the Network

I still wanna watch it regardless of the bad reviews.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Boutros said:
I think it's time to drop Zack Snyder as director.

He's so efficient as a director that he'll continue to get high-budget work, unfortunately.

irstupid said:
Turkish said:

Sometimes RT scores don't reflect how much a movie I liked.

Take SW episode 7 for example, it's just a remake, prettier, new names, that's all, very safe movie by the numbers, yet it has like 90%.

Man of Steel has a 56% btw, and I enjoyed it a lot.

Ditto. Then take Marvel movies. They constantly seem to get like 80+, even the obvious stinkers. While I enjoy them they are very very shallow popcorn movies. Besides Winter Soldier, none of them have any substance. They are fun the first couple watches, then they are background movies. 

I loved Man of Steel, so guessing I will love this too. But I don't trust critics at all. Heck I find those that hate Man of Steel to be moronic hypocrites. Constantly I hear of things it did bad, and how Superman I and II were amazing. 

How about we copmare II, since its so similar for a sec. since everone love that versino of superman and his gerat boyscoutness and everything.

1. Everyone flips a nut because Superman kills Zod in Man of Steel. Um didn't he also kill Zod in Superman II? And when he killed a powerless Zod who could have been easily put in jail, he was smiling. Meanwhile in Man of Steel, he has no way of jailing Zod as he is all powerful still and after he kills him he screams in agony. 

2. Destruction of Metropolis. Ok first of all lets bring up that 90% of the destruction happened before Superman arrived, when he was still on the other side of the world. GO rewatch. The amount of damage that happens during Superman/Zod fight is nothing compared to what the machine did before hand. And bringing up Superman II again. He fought them and caused damage in Metropolis in that movie too.

3. Destroying the truckers truck. This was basically a homage to Superman II. And a much better version at that. IN superman II if you recall, clark gets into a fight with a trucker, and get beat up. After he gets his powers back he comes back to that dinner and beats up the trucker. Good job on revenge there Clark. Showing your boy scoutness again.

Then we had the amazing character of Zod. He actually had a character this time instead of just lets take over earth. Now i'm not dissing the actor of Zod in Superman II, just his character. It was shallow. This one had heart. He spent his whole life trying ot protect Krypton and its people. From his initial rebellion to what he was doing on earth. His speech about Kal-El destroying his Soul after the ship was destroyed says it all.

The parents from Jor, to Marth and Jonathon were all amazing.

My only real complain was the tentacle machine. Was unneeded. They should have just had him fall like he did coughing as he approached and then his attack he did to destroy it. He was unconscious after that for some time as it was, so they could have just had it be longer. THe whole point of the tentacles was to stall superman so that the other side of the world could do their part of ht story. The tentacles were just a bad stalling mechanism.  

Oh I also hated the Tornado part. Not the actual tornado and it killing Johnathon, but the dog. In what world is the dog the last one out of the car. When leaving a car you need to basically tell the dog to stay and close the door carefull to prevent one from jumping out. NO way that dog stayed in the car. 

Oh and Lois/Clark kiss. The romance was hinted at enough, no need to have that kiss. Save for sequal.

Are we really trying to rationalize Man of Steel by saying it was better than a movie that was released in 1981?  People appreciate the original Superman movies for what they were in their cheesy glory.  They were mostly fun early attempts to get a superhero on the big screen.  By 2013 though, superhero movies had improved massively.  

The complaint of Metropolis' destruction wasn't about Superman himself, but about a shittily written plot.  They were trying to make a Superman movie dark and grim, and it just didn't need to be.  Just cause the Dark Knight trilogy was all dark didn't mean Superman had to be.  The Marvel movies have succeeded mainly because they, mostly, get the tone right.  A deadpool movie being full of gratuitous violence is fine.  Same thing wouldn't work for a Spider-man movie.

Whether the destruction was Superman's fault or not, it was just bad.  Superman should be positive and uplifting.  Instead, we had millions of people dying and countless lives ruined all to solve a problem that was drawn to the planet by Superman himself.  Nothing positive happens in this movie at all.  And then Superman stands in the ashes to kiss Lois like he's a rockstar.  Fact is that Superman did nothing to make the Earth a better place and Jor-el fucked Metropolis in the ass.

And in Superman 2, they fought in Metropolis, but that fight was more tame than the average Super Bowl parade.  It's pretty reasonable to think nobody died in that fight.  And if they did, it was like 12 people who were too stupid to realize they shouldn't sit there and watch Superman fight.  Comparing the destruction in Superman 2 to the destruction of Man of Steel is like comparing a BB gun to a nuke.

Zod's whole thing was that he was kind of a douche.  His reason for destroying the Earth was that he didn't want to suffer like Clark did... then when Clark takes his helmet off, he just kind of adjusted in two or three seconds.  What an ass.

As for destroying the truck, that was stupid as hell.  Superman went to such lengths to hide his powers that he let his dad die (which was actually really unnecessary... If Pa Kent thought he could possibly save the dog without dying, then couldn't Clark do it without everyone being like OMG ALIEN!)  Yet instead of just kicking a drunk out of a bar (something that people can do without being super powered aliens) he chose to do something that would require superpowers.  

Of course, you're free to like it.  But, if others don't, maybe it's not because they're moronic hypocrites.  Maybe, it is your opinion that is flawed.

Marvel's films got better reviwes because they don't pretend to be other thing than a SuperHero movie, at least is that what I think.

But I have to agree with Watchmen case

Click HERE and be happy 

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
irstupid said:

Ditto. Then take Marvel movies. They constantly seem to get like 80+, even the obvious stinkers. While I enjoy them they are very very shallow popcorn movies. Besides Winter Soldier, none of them have any substance. They are fun the first couple watches, then they are background movies. 

I loved Man of Steel, so guessing I will love this too. But I don't trust critics at all. Heck I find those that hate Man of Steel to be moronic hypocrites. Constantly I hear of things it did bad, and how Superman I and II were amazing. 

How about we copmare II, since its so similar for a sec. since everone love that versino of superman and his gerat boyscoutness and everything.

1. Everyone flips a nut because Superman kills Zod in Man of Steel. Um didn't he also kill Zod in Superman II? And when he killed a powerless Zod who could have been easily put in jail, he was smiling. Meanwhile in Man of Steel, he has no way of jailing Zod as he is all powerful still and after he kills him he screams in agony. 

2. Destruction of Metropolis. Ok first of all lets bring up that 90% of the destruction happened before Superman arrived, when he was still on the other side of the world. GO rewatch. The amount of damage that happens during Superman/Zod fight is nothing compared to what the machine did before hand. And bringing up Superman II again. He fought them and caused damage in Metropolis in that movie too.

3. Destroying the truckers truck. This was basically a homage to Superman II. And a much better version at that. IN superman II if you recall, clark gets into a fight with a trucker, and get beat up. After he gets his powers back he comes back to that dinner and beats up the trucker. Good job on revenge there Clark. Showing your boy scoutness again.

Then we had the amazing character of Zod. He actually had a character this time instead of just lets take over earth. Now i'm not dissing the actor of Zod in Superman II, just his character. It was shallow. This one had heart. He spent his whole life trying ot protect Krypton and its people. From his initial rebellion to what he was doing on earth. His speech about Kal-El destroying his Soul after the ship was destroyed says it all.

The parents from Jor, to Marth and Jonathon were all amazing.

My only real complain was the tentacle machine. Was unneeded. They should have just had him fall like he did coughing as he approached and then his attack he did to destroy it. He was unconscious after that for some time as it was, so they could have just had it be longer. THe whole point of the tentacles was to stall superman so that the other side of the world could do their part of ht story. The tentacles were just a bad stalling mechanism.  

Oh I also hated the Tornado part. Not the actual tornado and it killing Johnathon, but the dog. In what world is the dog the last one out of the car. When leaving a car you need to basically tell the dog to stay and close the door carefull to prevent one from jumping out. NO way that dog stayed in the car. 

Oh and Lois/Clark kiss. The romance was hinted at enough, no need to have that kiss. Save for sequal.

Are we really trying to rationalize Man of Steel by saying it was better than a movie that was released in 1981?  People appreciate the original Superman movies for what they were in their cheesy glory.  They were mostly fun early attempts to get a superhero on the big screen.  By 2013 though, superhero movies had improved massively.  

The complaint of Metropolis' destruction wasn't about Superman himself, but about a shittily written plot.  They were trying to make a Superman movie dark and grim, and it just didn't need to be.  Just cause the Dark Knight trilogy was all dark didn't mean Superman had to be.  The Marvel movies have succeeded mainly because they, mostly, get the tone right.  A deadpool movie being full of gratuitous violence is fine.  Same thing wouldn't work for a Spider-man movie.

Whether the destruction was Superman's fault or not, it was just bad.  Superman should be positive and uplifting.  Instead, we had millions of people dying and countless lives ruined all to solve a problem that was drawn to the planet by Superman himself.  Nothing positive happens in this movie at all.  And then Superman stands in the ashes to kiss Lois like he's a rockstar.  Fact is that Superman did nothing to make the Earth a better place and Jor-el fucked Metropolis in the ass.

And in Superman 2, they fought in Metropolis, but that fight was more tame than the average Super Bowl parade.  It's pretty reasonable to think nobody died in that fight.  And if they did, it was like 12 people who were too stupid to realize they shouldn't sit there and watch Superman fight.  Comparing the destruction in Superman 2 to the destruction of Man of Steel is like comparing a BB gun to a nuke.

Zod's whole thing was that he was kind of a douche.  His reason for destroying the Earth was that he didn't want to suffer like Clark did... then when Clark takes his helmet off, he just kind of adjusted in two or three seconds.  What an ass.

As for destroying the truck, that was stupid as hell.  Superman went to such lengths to hide his powers that he let his dad die (which was actually really unnecessary... If Pa Kent thought he could possibly save the dog without dying, then couldn't Clark do it without everyone being like OMG ALIEN!)  Yet instead of just kicking a drunk out of a bar (something that people can do without being super powered aliens) he chose to do something that would require superpowers.  

Of course, you're free to like it.  But, if others don't, maybe it's not because they're moronic hypocrites.  Maybe, it is your opinion that is flawed.

Not justifying a movie by comparing it to another of a different age, just pointing out hypocricy.

THe love for Superman 2 and how it portrayed superman PERFECTLY is widely known. Everyone wants that superman. THey love that superman. It's the only superman they know.

First superman has not been like that superman in the comics in like 30 years. 

Secodn that very superman you love so much is more sadistic and sick than the man of steel one. As I said he flat out goes back days later to get revenge on a trucker. He smiles and kills a defenseless/powerless zod and has no remorse. 

Then lets get on the bs story. Lois figures out his secret, so to hide it he nearly lets her drown in the river. Then all of an hour later he "accidently" trips into a fire spilling his secret for real this time. Oh and then he just up and removes his powers asap so he can shag her, all without even informing her what he is doing or any regard to the world now not having a superman.

Oh and the kicker to all Rotton Tomatoes. Superman Returns has an awesome score. Let that sink in.

EricFabian said:
Marvel's films got better reviwes because they don't pretend to be other thing than a SuperHero movie, at least is that what I think.

Marvel succeeds because they make great movies, DC and Warner fail because they try to make deep movies with a bunch of philosophical nonsense.

EricFabian said:

Well that's what I don't get. Marvel movies are very shallow, just fun. Beyond Winter Soldier they have basically no story. 

The only good villain is Loki. If he didn't exist, the thor movies would be even more unwatchable than they already are.

It baffles me how critics seem to always give them such good ratings. You would think they would bash them for being so shallow. Hell the most recent Ant Man was a Iron Man 1 clone with tacked on super offensive stereotypes.  

Never thought this movie looked good past Batman. Was going to see it for that reason and because Civil War (which looks much better) is a ways off. Interested in seeing WW too but Lex looks like crap, the plot is obviously trash which is forced just to catch up to Marvel abd spoiling Doomsday (who looks mediocre) killed any appeal I had. My bro is semi interested but unless he wants to go I will pass. With DDs2 and the movies Marvel is crushing DC outside of the Flash series. Arrow turned to poop and Supergirl is corny.

So, who do I trust? The 42% that liked it or the 58% that didn't?