By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nikkei: Nintendo ceasing Wii U production at the end of the year

Miyamotoo said:

Color Splash isnt Sticker Star, you cant say that Color Splash is bad game when we saw only one small video.

Seriously dude, you know what I mean. The core concept and most all of the gameplay, structure, and mechanics are exactly the same, one small video is plenty to see that. 

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
Soundwave said:
NX better be something spectacular.

It will be for Nintendo fans and not be for everyone else. Like usual...

Well the Wii U says otherwise, it was not really a joy for a nintendo fan, no Fire Emblem, no Metroid, no ambitious Mario 3D adventure, first nintendo console to not get an exclusive Zelda, even a nintendo console can disappoint nintendo fans if they dont deliver

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

spemanig said:

You sound like me here. How does that make you feel?

Does it make you feel goooooood?

lol get over yourself!

Aerys said:
KLXVER said:

It will be for Nintendo fans and not be for everyone else. Like usual...

Well the Wii U says otherwise, it was not really a joy for a nintendo fan, no Fire Emblem, no Metroid, no ambitious Mario 3D adventure, first nintendo console to not get an exclusive Zelda, even a nintendo console can disappoint nintendo fans if they dont deliver

Well then show me a Nintendo fan that doesnt like the WiiU...

Hiku said:
LesserAmygdala said:
I really hope the NX is just a handheld because the NX will obviously be unable to compete against the PS4 for many reasons, including:

- The awful trainwreck that was the Wii U and how many customers were disappointed with it
- Lack of 3rd parties supporting Nintendo platforms in general
- PS4 already establishing itself as the big leader of this gen
- Developers already busy developing games for the HD twins
Hope they know what they're doing

The handheld market is shrinking rapidly though. The competition against mobile phones gets tougher and tougher with each passing year, so I don't think Nintendo would lock thyemselves into that market alone.
Third party support can be remedied. Just don't make hardware that no one wants to produce games for is a big step in the right direction. None of those companies are against making money, but just didn't see WiiU ports as a worthwhile investment. If NX has the right specs and is easy to develop for, I don't see why it wouldn't get a lot of PS4 ports. In particular Japanese games. If Nintendo can keep the interest in the console going, then that support shouldn't cease.

I don't know..Porting PS3 games to Wii U didn't seem to work, and 3rd parties abandoned the thing after a year or so, which is what happens with most Nintendo consoles, even the Wii. They probably realize and have confirmed to themselves that their games just don't sell on Nintendo's consoles, so I'm not sure why they would try again. I can see Japanese developers porting some PS4 games to the NX like Dragon Quest XI and Tales of Berseria, but Japan is hardly a big factor in hardware sales anymore. Wii U has only 3 over there so far, PS3 sold over 85mil WW and only 10m of those were from Japan, and that's when home consoles were a lot healthier in Japan. 

As for their handhelds, 3DS was/is obviously their worst selling handheld, but will they really abandon that market just because of smartphones? So it's yet another dilemma. What can they actually do to succeed in a market that is overrun by smartphones and angry birds and candy crushes? 

Around the Network
KLXVER said:

You don't think that out of the tens of millions of 3DS owners without a Wii U, that not one of them doesn't have it because they don't like it?

Aerys said:
Soundwave said:

Welp at least Wii U is getting a successor. Vita isn't. Both are massive failures. 

But getting a successor doesnt make the console better, if anything, it makes it worse.

At least without successor Vita will get support for years.

lol, if you want to call what the Vita gets now as "support", sure. Most retailers in the West are phasing out the system from storeshelves entirely. 

They're both failed systems, but Vita killed Sony's portable division entirely. 

Einsam_Delphin said:
KLXVER said:

You don't think that out of the tens of millions of 3DS owners without a Wii U, that not one of them doesn't have it because they don't like it?

You dont have to be a Nintendo fan to own a 3DS or be a console person...

Luke888 said:

I think Pikmin should be available at launch with Zelda & all the other titles, Pikmin offers such a different gameplay that it might manage to convince into purchasing NX more people. also, knowing that the game was almost done in early 2015 I think that Nintendo will push this time to have 2 Pikmin games on the same system/ a new IP by the Pikmin team ...

I definitely don't. Pikmin isn't a killer app. It isn't even slightly this juggarnaut franchise. The NX won't need it at launch to sell. What Pikmin if good for is being a library filler, like Donkey Kong Country Returns or Wonderful 101. Of course a few people will buy an NX for a new Pikmin, but most people buying a game like Pikmin will be people looking for new games to buy on a platform they already own. It will be a far more useful game to have in February, maybe early instead of late. Something to fill in the gap between another killer app in mid March or something so that there is a steady stream of first party games releasing throughout 2017, which will be crutial for the success of the NX.

If Nintendo can get a killer app out in mid March, late May/early June, early September, and then holiday 2017, sprinkled in with some library fillers like Pikmin 4 throughout the year, the NX is going to be a very scary force to contend with. With Nintendo combining their home and handheld console divisions, this is doing to be a very real and easily achievable possibility. NX Nintendo ain't yo daddy's Nintendo.

Einsam_Delphin said:
Miyamotoo said:

Color Splash isnt Sticker Star, you cant say that Color Splash is bad game when we saw only one small video.

Seriously dude, you know what I mean. The core concept and most all of the gameplay, structure, and mechanics are exactly the same, one small video is plenty to see that. 

You can't really know that from one small video, especially with Nintendo games for which we know some new staffs about them right before launch. Seriously, you cant say game is bad based on first small video, especially because game actually looks very interesting,