By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Evolution Studios Closed

This is really unfortunate, but not totally unexpected. I remember after Driveclub's release, Beyond! mentioned that Evolution Studio's closure was likely.
Still, it sucks. I hope the the employees at Evolution can get new jobs soon.

Around the Network

That's odd considering Driveclub sold well.

I get the impression its cheaper to work with 3rd parties than running a studio. Thats why we see many going away.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Not really that big of a deal.
Based on the press release we know that:
Evolution Studios has no projects currently in development
And that the existing talented staff at evolution will be moved to other studios at Sony.

Not really a lionhead level thing here.

After the declining sales of their PS3 games, it always felt to me like Driveclub was something like their last chance to turn things around. After the botched launch i was honestly surprised Sony let them continue on for so long. At least they managed to fix the game after all.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

I never was a huge fan of the MotorSport, but DriveClub in it's current state is the defining racer this gen.

I'm saddened for the news, and hope everyone lands on their feet. It looks like some good came out of it. A new team was formed, some of the members went to other Sony studios, so this isn't as bad as it could've been.

I wonder how many of them went to Polyphony.

Around the Network

Sucks to see people lose their job, hopefully they find another one soon.

Sad to hear in all honesty. I hope it doesn't have a bad effect on DC because I still plan on getting taht when I get my PS4 in freaking May!

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

I'm pretty while the studio closed down, the employees or at least most of them just got transferred to an internal studio to continue working on Driveclub.

LudicrousSpeed said:
Should have made a next gen Motorstorm instead of that Driveclub junk.

A new Motorstorm would have sold as wel. The success of the first was a lot of bundling and Apocolypse bombed.

Its odd, one day Sony is boasting that Driveclub surpassed 2 million and then they close them not long after. Many games struggle to achieve those numbers.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Racing games and studios dying just puts all the more pressure on Polyphony to deliver.