By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Things in Zelda that need to change

97alexk said:
FunFan said:
Higher challenge in everything. Deadly enemies and traps, brain-busting puzzles, treacherous lands that need careful navigation, thrilling thrills. Bring the difficulty level back up to NES standards.

You want another ''Twilight princess guardian puzzle challenge''. Because i know that was a pain, but a challenge non-theless

I don't think that could be called by any stretch of imagination a "brain-busting" puzzle, those are usually found in puzzle-solving adventure games (aka MYST-likes).

Actually, everything FunFan said would be really great and sounds like some CRPG from 90s, I just don't think it would be very good for Zelda sales, since it would kill its mainstream appeal.

Around the Network

Haven't played a Zelda game for a while, but is there still this beeping sound all the time when you have only one heart left? That was so annoying! If it's still there, it needs to go.

Also, voice acting. There's no excuse not to have voice acting in this day and age. Just make sure people can disable it for all those folks who insist, for whatever reason, on a Zelda without voice acting.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

spemanig said:
I can agree with everything though, though I'm not as passionate about 2 or 3. I think a check point system would solve 2 without changing the saving system in Zelda much.

I mean the more recent Zeldas have relatively quick dungeons and TP already restarts you in the room you died in if you do somehow die, so I think checkpoints wouldn't really solve 2 without making the dungeons needlessly easy. Unless they make some marathon dungeons that use more than just the Dungeon item, which I'd be okay with, checkpoints are unnecessary. 

Honestly, while a lot of people like to trash the games, I'd love if Zelda NX and its Wii U port took a Darksiders approach, with light RPG elements and a TON of short, optional dungeons. Rather than hide heart pieces IN dungeons like TP does (replaying it I only now realized how bad that aspect was), make separate dungeons for some heart containers or exclusive items or powerups for those that go out of their way. Plus it makes the open world actually open with a light level system - like the Skyrim Aonuma so desperately wants to be compared to - that can deter you but not FORCE you into a set path until late game. 

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

I wouldn't say 4 is accurate at all, most Zelda games I have played have had a very full over worlds with lots of stuff to do.

The only game in the franchise where I had issue with the over world was Twilight Princess, and that was because it was weird, convoluted, and drab.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

97alexk said:
curl-6 said:

Totally agreed.

Any more than a 4 year cycle is absurd, and showing us 13 seconds of new footage in the last 15 months is totally unacceptable.

I disagre, not knowing what is in store for us is probably the most exciting thing. But maybe a little more longer tease or something, but i dont mind the way it is now

The teasing has gone on for nearly two years, enough is enough. 

If this were Sony, or Microsoft, or pretty much any other big publisher launching a game of this magnitude, they wouldn't be holding off on us like this.

Aeolus451 said:
Above all else, get rid of that god awful green tunic and dancing tights outfit.

Around the Network

I agree with 3 and 4 (though 4 was only an issue for me in Skyward Sword and Wind Waker). But I like having back certain items like the bow, the claw/hookshot, the bombs, etc... And I don't mind if some temple is built around said item. Mainly because even if they repeat the item, the temple itself uses to be quite different. I mean, take a look at the bow for example. The Forest Temple (OoT), The Goron Mines (TP), The Sandship (SS)... they are all very unique designed dungeons despite having a mutual method of solving and getting through them. I never find myself saying "Meh, I feel like I already did this".

As for 1... I'm fine if they do something similar to SS. Anyway, I've never had a problem with what you mention, because I usually beat a dungeon in the same playthrough. But even if I don't, I think that almost all modern dungeons usually have paths that connects the entrance with the later rooms. So, for me that's ok.

I think you have a point with 1) and 4).

cycycychris said:
and Most importantly, adding in voice acting.

All good ideas though. But god damn voice acting already Nintendo.

oh god that's a terrible idea, the lack of voices is endearing and allows the player to feel way more immersed. Its like reading a book, you can imagine the voices/characters a bit how you want.

I find the lack of voices a  GREAT thing for the series, especially because voice acting can sometimes go SO wrong in games (look at the latest Fallout, god)

spemanig said:
Also, literally everything in the OP would be solved by copying the way dark souls does it.

I'm sure Curl would love losing all his rupees instead of restarting with three hearts when he dies.

cycycychris said:
and Most importantly, adding in voice acting.

All good ideas though. But god damn voice acting already Nintendo.

I think voice acting is probably one of worst things that can happen to Zelda game, but hopefule Nintendo don't have any intention for voice acting.